Skip navigation

5126 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2008 8:20 PM by lucka RSS
helminger Amateur 17 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2006 12:48 PM

saddle sores

ok,

here i am, 4200 miles into this biking season, and i'm still getting pretty serious sores. i have never been fitted, but stopped in at a local tri store and was told i look pretty good when they put me on the stand. i have little comfort issues on my bike in general.

two questions:

1) is there a sure-fire way to alleviate developing sores (magic cream that i haven't yet already tried, saddle, extra layer of something, etc...)?

2) what's the best way to treat saddle sores? it seems like ice wouldn't be practical. i was thinking about some kind of gold-bond like powder - something to dry things up.

thanks in advance

• DonTer884 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 15, 2006 4:41 PM (in response to helminger)
    Re: saddle sores

I have had good luck with ASSOS chamois cream, you should be able to find it at most bike shops or Colorado Cyclist.com for shure.

• cedarchiro Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 17, 2006 5:56 AM (in response to helminger)

try different saddles. What works for one person definitly may not work for you. My shop allowed me to test several. I ended up using a trek road seat. Don't know the model sorry. I am of course assuming you are using the proper clothing, ie bike shorts.

• neers87 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 5, 2006 10:37 AM (in response to helminger)

I almost posted this same question.  But in my spare time when not cycling I call on doctors.  A wide variety of responses.  but the best came from an elderly Dr. that could have stepped out of Field of Dreams. 

He explained that the culprit is moisture, and recommends corn starch.  I had been using baby powder but not with corn starch in it.  Vastly improved the situation.  apply prior to and post ride.  on long 50 plus miles typically keep some in a Ziploc and reapply.  He also explained that it should be non scented, as the binding agent for the fragrance can also cause irritation. 

As a side note, I stated vastly improved the situation.  the other half of the equation would be take a break from the bike, but I can't seem to do that.

hope this is helpful.

E

• tomrob36 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 10, 2006 3:15 AM (in response to helminger)

I agree with the moisture issue in the previous post. One thing that really helps also is to stand while climbing or even on the flats periodically to allow some air between your legs. This will also allow you to use different muscles during a long ride. When on the flats go up 2 gears harder trhen stand while pedaling. Hope this is helpful.

• shwebell Rookie 3 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    5. Apr 13, 2008 1:09 PM (in response to helminger)

I spoke to my dermatologist about this problem when I had it and he recommended a topical antibiotic solution called Clindamycin. You apply in the evening before bedtime. Have never had a problem since.

• UtahSoul Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    6. Apr 13, 2008 6:33 PM (in response to shwebell)

Alright many suggestions but the good old stand by for many racing and touring riders is "Bag Balm", which can be picked up at your local grocery or drug store for about $7 a can. The can will last around 2 years for an average training cyclist.

I've tried the powder and they just won't last through a long ride or training session.

The chamois creams work well but they also have a much higher cost.

One thing that does help is proper washing of your riding shorts. They should be washed after each ride.

Scott

I even found an article from Bicycling about Bag Balm (PDF).

• paprouty Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 4, 2008
    7. Apr 15, 2008 6:20 PM (in response to UtahSoul)

Utahsoul is absolutely right.  If at all possible shower before your ride.  I ride down in Houston and in the summer I sweat all over my machine and if I start clean it keeps things from funking up.  The type of saddle sore that I get is more like a pimple.  A hair folicle gets clogged and hurt like ****.  For me chamois creams help alleviate the pain by reducing friction but seem to cause more problems in the long run.  Keeping it clean seems to work the best for me, but the antibiotic stuff in the earlier post may be a good way to go.

• mstrang Amateur 32 posts since
    Jun 23, 2008
    8. Sep 30, 2008 6:32 AM (in response to paprouty)

I made the mistake of going cheap with the cycling shorts and after a 150 this weekend I am paying for it dearly. I changed my saddle to a high quality one but still feel the need for much better shorts. Im actually bruised and have been sitting on ice bags all weekend! Im a newbie and should have listened to the guy at the LBS when he warned me about the shorts!!!

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Sep 30, 2008 7:57 AM (in response to mstrang)

All great ideas.  Don't think there is one right answer, and what works for someone might not work for someone else.  The bag balm and chamois creme can keep them from occurring.  Once you get one, the antibiotic type creams or anything from a dermatologist would help clear it up.  I got one in the middle of a 7 day cross state ride, ouch.  Good bike shorts with a good pad helps, when you wash them, turn them inside out, don't use detergent with fragrance.  Best solution of all is hardest to do, quit riding until it's cleared up.

• lucka Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 31, 2008
    10. Oct 31, 2008 8:20 PM (in response to helminger)

Simply wash your shorts after each ride and put them into the dryier at low temp for a few minutes to get most of the moisture out. Since I started that I've never had another rash or discomfort caused by fungus. That's why I have bought 3 pairs of shorts.

The bag balm is a good thing to help heal the soreness - it's an antibiotic used by farmers to milk cows but it does miracles for all kind of skin related problems.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...