Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6679 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 9:04 PM by KB7065 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 27, 2012 5:11 AM

How much time is too much time to take off. Marathon in 4 weeks!

I have to thank the group of you that has been kind enough to give me advice during this whole training experience.

I've taken the past two days off from training (which seriously feels like 2 MONTHS..I'm not joking!!) after getting some pain in my Achilles while running on Tuesday. I woke up Wednesday with it feeling worse, esp in the plantar area. Went to my running store, got some compression socks and tape. Then went to the best massage therapist ever and he actually said it all stemmed from my hips. I couldnt believe how tight my back and hip flexors were.

So here I am...Trying to do the good "sensible" thing and rest. Mentally this is horrible for me...as all the doubt and fear of first time marathoning being exactly one month away from today. If ultimately my 19 miler banged me up,what about next weeks 20 miler and the actual 26.2?!

I missed my 5 and 8 miler totally this week. 12 is lined up for tomorrow. My foot still aches a bit but not like before. It is also morning so I'm hoping it starts to fade more as I move around. Do I try and make up a week day run at slow pace and push my 12 miler to Sunday? Usually today is a rest day but I feel like I'm ready to crawl out of my body. I went to the gym yesterday and did the elliptical for 20 minutes and prob looked like I should be on suicide watch. This is NOT fun!!!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

You do not need to make anything up just start where you plan has you.  If your gait/stride changes at all don't run.  For the most part your fitness is where it is going to be on marathon day, so you just need to heal and not lose any fitness.  My daughter just ran a marathon and was not able to run a entire week, 4 weeks out due to a injury from her dance marathon.  She rested 1 week and pick her training up at 3 weeks and ran a great 1st marathon.  Getting to the starting line healthy and with your current level of fitness is all you need.  Good luck, see your massage therapist again if needed, Kinso tape is great.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

BOSNPM said it.  Healing is most important at this point.  If your 12 doesn't work out, that's OK.  Just get back to the point that you can run comfortably, then pick up the plan on whatever day you're at.  Don't worry about pace or distance.  You are actually getting a preview of the disease known as "taper madness" (look at http://www.tapermadness.org/).  I once had my shin splints (back when I had shin splints - or shins, not sure which) really flare up at 16 miles on my last long run before the marathon.  I did no running at all for two weeks.  The week of the marathon I did three very easy 3-milers just to prove to myself that I could still run.  I finished the marathon with no problems.  A little slower than originally planned, but I finished, and no injuriy.  Get past the injuries.  You WILL be OK.

Len

PS. The marathon (and marathon training) is always a REAL learning experience.  Keeping you head can be very difficult.

Len

Jan 18, 2008

Like BOSNPM said, it's OK unless it causes you to change your stride.  In that, case call it a day and try again tomorrow.  If you're talking about "kinesio" tape (or equivalent), that can be left on for several days.  I don't know anything about tumeric, one way or the other.

Len

Len

Nov 20, 2007

Tumeric I have never heard of?  We all get a little crazy during the taper!  It's part of the madness of the marathon!  Best of luck!

Jan 18, 2008

From Wikipedia - curcumin is a major component of tumeric.  I don't know if this is enough to depend on it.

Len

A daily dose of 2 grams of Curcuma domestica extract was found to provide pain relief that was equivalent to ibuprofen for the relief of pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee.[9] An extensive survey of the literature shows a number of other potential uses and that daily doses over a 3 month period of up to 12 grams proved safe.[10] Commercial capsules of curcumin contain piperine, a compound found in pepper which aids absorption of curcumin into the blood stream. However, as curcuma is known to inhibit blood clotting, it should be avoided for a two week period prior to major surgery and not used in conjunction with blood thinners such as warfarin and Plavix. It is also known to aggravate gallstone problems.[11]

In both in vitro and animal studies, curcumin has shown antitumor,[14][15][16] antioxidant, antiarthritic, antiamyloid, anti-ischemic,[17] and anti-inflammatory properties.

Len

Nov 20, 2007

Len,

Thanks,  have a good week-end. 

Jan 18, 2008

Sounds good. Keep your eye on the prize - making it to the start healthy.

Len

Len

• KB7065 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 22, 2010

I had a similar experience.  I have been having nagging PF issues off and on for about 4 months, but prior to three weeks ago, it only nagged me and only caused me to miss a few days of running during those 4 months.

However, three weeks before my marathon last weekend, it really kicked in and prevented me from running during the last three weeks all but 3 days.  While I did line up for the race, I had to call it done at the halfway point - while the pain from the PF was bearable, it was causing my stride to be off due to compensating and really fatiguing my other leg - especially the calf.

Listen to the advice above about gait.  If the foot pain causes your gait to be off, that may impact knees, hips, your back, and may be other areas - just because you aren't putting one foot in front of the other as you normally do.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009

The marathon I ran in Feb 2011 gave me a crazy training period.

During the last 7 weeks before the marathon I got out running exactly 7 times.

The weather was so horendous, and the roads unsafe that I just could not get out.

It was a great learning experience: I had a tough day out there but I finished OK

Just to piggy-back onto Bos'n and Len: being healthy is the key. An extra day, here or there (or even a bad week of running) is not going to destroy your plan.

We are not professionals at this. We cannot spend every waking moment dedicated to running and health. Life, work, family are all there and need to be dealt with.

So you come in 10 or 15 minutes slower than what you wanted. Who cares.

I am competetive but pragmatic.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...