Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1099 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2012 6:57 AM by Frank_B
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 2, 2012 5:32 AM

Speaking of called games.......

I had a game last night on a field without lights.  VT was a power hitting club!  They scored a lot of runs in many innings.  I don't think there was anything aroung with the HT pitching or their fielding (for the most part).  Just that the VT was well coached in the hitting skills.

So as we entered the bottom of the 5th inning, I told the managers that this would probably be it because it was getting dark.

HT manager got testy!  "If we have a 1-2-3 inning, then there would remain enough light to continue to play!  You got to let us play!"  Sure!  I want to let the VT have more batting practice in the top of the 6th at the expense of his kids?

Hey S4B!  I get to make the call on a safety issue!  [And don't forget, the only one who really has to see the ball is me!  And if I can't see it, we call the game for darkness!]

Luckily, HT got a small rally going in the bottom of the 5th and only lost 18-7!  And by that time it was really starting to get dark!  I would have also sprung the 10-run rule....which was modified by the 2010 house rules;  and since we don't have a set for 2012, I would have stood on that!  (So put that into your pipe and get arrested for posession of it!)

Would have loved to have seen a protest on that one!

Mike CVUA

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. May 6, 2012 7:19 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Speaking of called games.......

For the sake of discussion Mike....

Assuming Little League---Majors---or, competitive minors.

Appears the game should of been stopped by you upon the completion of the home team batting, bottom of the 4th inning, via the 10-run  mercy rule.  .

In regard to using the "modified" 2010 "house rules"----AKA----Local rules.

LL local rules are annual rules-- thus expire each year; subject to being renewed, or not renewed, by the  newly elected incoming BOD.

The option to utilize, or not utilize by a league being embodied in Rule 4.10(e).  Citing a 2010 "house rule"....and quoting you.."I would have stood on that"-- absent any reference renewal in 2012... is a no-no!

Since..your words..."we don't have a set for 2012"... stating non-use of the 10-run rule---then by the LL 2012  Rule 4.10(e), the game should of been stopped by you  upon the completion of the 4th inning.

Your reference to....." let the VT have more batting practice in the top of the 6th"...-----makes me believe it was a Majors or below game---thus, you stopping it, by the 10-run rule, upon the completion of the bottom of the 4th was in order.  Precluding any rationale on your part in regard to darkness and not being able to see the ball to convince the losing manager your intent to stop the game.

The "testy" manager not knowing the 10-run rule, being his problem.

Cheers,

Frank!

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. May 7, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Speaking of called games.......

Right  Mike..

I figured that possibility.....

However, given the score at the end of five innings--18 to 7---

You could of invoked the 10-run rule to stop the game then and there,  avoiding any discussion with the "testy" manager about darkness descending, safety issue, 2010 local rules,  etc.  :-)    

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...