Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

950 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 7:40 AM by LuckyFoot RSS
LnKsMom Rookie 2 posts since
May 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 4, 2012 9:31 PM

Mortified Newbie!

Hello Everybody!

Why oh why did I do this to myself?!? Let me explain myself... I am 32 yo, overweight, and haven't ran in any real capacity for over a decade. My kids school is doing a charity 5K and my 6 yr old son decided he was going to run it.  He asked me if I would be his running buddy !  Being the loving and supportive mother I am, I said yes. The problem is I only had a about a month to train... and I blew it !  I had the kids show me the course and told myself I could train and be somewhat ready for race day but of course with working 2 jobs AND shuttling 2 kids to 2 different sports activities ALL week long (piss poor excuse), I have ignored my training.  My biggest fear is that I won't be able to keep up with him. That I will fall flat on my face and not be able to complete the run.  I think he would be heartbroken.  I used to be extremely fit and I know I will be dealt a big piece of humble pie tomorrow.  If anything, I will always be thankful for this event in my life.  Of all the reasons I should get off the couch and regain my active lifestyle, this one just clicked for me today.  Regardless of tomorrows outcome, I have decided I will start the C25K and get to where I can be proud of myself instead of ashamed.  It won't hurt to lose weight as well and make my kids even prouder of me than they already are.  Any and ALL comments, advice,FR, and encouragement are welcome!

Thanks,

Jessica

P.S. I know this is NOT a weight loss forum but my path to running will lead to my weight loss as well.  I will keep you all posted on my progress on BOTH counts!

• FLkayakgrl Pro 60 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    1. May 5, 2012 10:03 AM (in response to LnKsMom)
    Mortified Newbie!

Congratulations on encouraging your son to run....and volunteering to join.  Don't worry...just go and have fun.  He will be thrilled that you are joining him.  Do what you can on a walk/run pattern.  Run a little, walk a little.  Let him run ahead and then back.  He will tire after a while.  Just be sure to let him know that you are both having fun out there.  There are always people of all levels of fitness at the charity runs.  It's just great that people are getting out there and trying, instead of inside in front of the tv.

Age 52

Started C25K Feb 2011

Graduated C25K (time) April 2011

Run for the Arts 5k - 5/7/2011 Lake Worth FL, 44:08 pace 14:14....not last!

Stress fracture

Holiday Fantasy of Lights 5k- Coconut Creek FL 11/12/2011

PB United Way Turkey Trot 5k 11/24/2011 - 42.48 pace 13.48 - 19 of 30 in age group

• Connie6109 Amateur 11 posts since
    Mar 9, 2010
    2. May 8, 2012 5:55 AM (in response to LnKsMom)
    Mortified Newbie!

Just enjoy the time with your son!  He'll never forget it - nor will you.  FLkayakgrl is right, let him run ahead or stay with you, run some/walk some.  Its about the journey and enjoying your kids.  My experience with my sons (now 23 and 16) is that they tire after a mile or two and they just wanted me to join with them not be a superstar (thank goodness).

Relax, have fun - You've already won so much.  Notice too how many mothers are just hanging out on the sidelines not participating at all or didn't even bother to show up.

What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, Boston 2006

Girls On The Run 5K 2008

Run, Walk, Roll 5K 2008

Tufts 10K for Women, 2008

Girls On The Run 5K 2011

• LuckyFoot Rookie 3 posts since
    May 8, 2012
    3. May 8, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to LnKsMom)
    Mortified Newbie!

I thinkit'sgreat that you're encouraging your son to participate in this 5k even though you have been out of the running game for a while. One day you will be able to tell him that he helped you get back into running all because he wanted to do a charity event at his school! Do not worry about all of the what ifs. Do what you can to prepare now. Start doing interval running - for instance, run for 5 minutes walk for 2 and continue until you feel comfortable at that interval and then increase it. Before you know it, you will out pace your son and will be giving him tips. Also, remember young kids are all fierce up front and will eventually tire... just like FLkayakgrl said!

It's important that you believe in yourself, support your son and have fun with it. Running should be fun, not stressful. That's the only way you'll succeed - wipe away the pressure and fear and just have fun and enjoy your time raising awareness for the charity!

If you have any questions, stop by Lucky Foot's Facebook Page. Jeff conducts gait analysis on runners. He created a special iPad application that records runners' motion from all angles, dissects each plane and analyzes runners' bilateral symmetry and how it relates to their form. He is a WEALTH of information, is so encouraging andis harnessing the idea of making running fun for everybody. If you have any concerns, questions or anything just stop by and "like" the FB page and he will answer you ASAP!!

Good luck, my friend!

Lucky Foot, LLC

• Running & Walking Shoes, Apparel, and Accessories
    • Fully Body Motion Analysis
      • Conducts gait analsis on runners with a specially created iPad application. The Apple application records runners' motion from all angles, dissects each plane and analyzes runners' bilateral symmetry and how it relates to their form. This allows the Lucky Foot team to make obersrvations and provides advice to runners on how to adjust for better health and performance

• Website coming soon: Online Forums, Blogs, Live Streaming Videos and Merchandise will be available!
    • Follow us on Facebook
    • Follow us on Twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...