Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

6469 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2012 8:25 PM by Bama Bacon
millie komisarz Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2012 12:08 PM

35 yr old SAHM attempts triathlon...  can it be done?

I am a 35 yr old SAHM who started running to shed a few lbs last may of 2011.  Liked it cause it got me out of the house (alone time from the 1 and 2 year old ;~/). I then made a goal of doing a 1/2 marathon by the end of the season.  Furthest I had ran was 8 miles prior to completing the 1/2 - in 2:15.  I had been also doing P90X the whole summer.

This year I am doing P90X2, still running about 4 - 6 miles on my off days from working out at a 9 - 10 min mile.  I finally purchased a used bike yesterday (I am signed up for a triathlon June 10th - LOL).  Took it for a ride today.  Did 10 miles at an average of 11 mph.  Could have definitely gone further but time restraints made me have to stop.

Swimming I don't believe will be a large issue.  Used to be on a swim team.  Did do some indoor swimming recently just to get a feel.  I was able to swim 40 lengths of the pool that was not 25 yards but how ever many meters...  I believe it ended up  being a little over 1 mile.

How will I do?  What should I add to my training?  I need help, I am very very very nervous!!!!!!

Attachments:
  • mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008

Hey Millie,sounds like you've got a pretty good base,I'm assuming your Tri is a Sprint?I would stress some [ brick ] workouts,bike for 30 min then go for a run, that will get you used of [ heavy legs ].I always run after the bike generally 3 times a week and remember this is your first Tri so have fun!!Best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• paxsarah Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 2, 2010

You can totally do it. I did my first sprint triathlon this March after starting training in January, and it was exhilarating! Your background is similar to mine - I've been running since about mid-2010, and I had swum competitively through my childhood and high school, so getting back in the pool was not too hard. Oh, and I'm 40. ;-)

Honestly, if you have the swim, you're over one of the biggest hurdles. I feel blessed that I already had that tool in my back pocket. For me, the bike was the newest thing, so my advice is ride, ride, ride. On the one hand, it can be frustrating to start at square one, but on the other hand, I've found that I'm improving and learning something new on pretty much every ride. Definitely do a few bricks to get used to the sensation of bike to run - I'd also recommend doing a couple of rides that go beyond the distance of the triathlon. Also, as race day approaches search youtube for triathlon transition videos - there are a lot of good ones. You'll do great!

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Congrats for trying something new!  I agree you should try to get in some bricks before the race so you know what it will feel like to adjust from one sport to the next without a chance to rest.  Also, check out the distances that you are signed up for and make sure you do some training that will get you close to those distances.  Not sure if your race will be in a pool or open water, but if its open water you might want to practice some open water swimming.  Many of the smaller races I've done have offered an organized open water swim for newbies so you can get used to swimming in a big group and practice your sighting.  If there's a bike shop nearby you should check with them about group rides.  It's good practice to ride in a group before race day.  And defintly check out some videos on transitions. That was probably the most unfamiliar part of triathlons for me when I started.  Good luck and remember its all about having fun!

• lilywhite Rookie 1 posts since
    May 3, 2010

Good Morning, I did my first Triathlon when I was 65, that year also completed the Athleta Iron Girl in Columbia MD.

I ride my bike at least 3 times a week and run 2 days. Both were open water swims. One in a river the other

in a lake. I enjoyed both. This year I am doing the same Triathlon in Richmond. I enjoy being healthy and plan

on working up to a 70.3. Best of luck on your first. As my daughter say, just go have fun!

• Bama Bacon Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 21, 2011

So how was it Millie? I competed in my first Tri (Xterra Southeast) this summer also. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Julie is defenitely right, bricks help a lot.

Nothing like a new challenge to keep you engaged. Running the 1/2 Marathon at Talladega Motor Speedway this September. Training to run for time and not just finish. Will do the same for Xterra next year. Keep up the good work and have fun.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points