Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1494 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 1:16 PM by run970
bunzi12 Amateur 15 posts since
Mar 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2012 7:51 AM

Bunion?

I am having what feels like a bunion on my left foot under the big toe. It does look swollen a bit. I am a Birk wearer and barefoot person so I can't blame shoes. I just did the couch to 5k and have been doing short runs/sprints since finishing. The pain has just started at the end of the C5K. My running shoes are not tight or ill fitting. Could this just be inflammation from running? Any ideas on treatment? Soaks?

• LuckyFoot Rookie 3 posts since
    May 8, 2012
    1. May 8, 2012 8:03 AM (in response to bunzi12)
    Bunion?

Hey bunzi12. I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble. I know a guy, he's an expert in the running field and specializes in gait analysis. He seems to know everything. He just started a Facebook page and is very active in corresponding with people. His name is Jeff Van Horn and his company is Lucky Foot. I would "like" his Facebook page and send him a message or post a question on there. He's really good about getting back to you; he may be able to give you some idea of what's going on. 

I hope you had a great time at the couch to 5k. I hope it was not too painful with your foot. Like I said, stop by and talk to Jeff. He may be able to guide you in the right direction and get some relief for you soon!!

Lucky Foot, LLC

• Running & Walking Shoes, Apparel, and Accessories
    • Fully Body Motion Analysis
      • Conducts gait analsis on runners with a specially created iPad application. The Apple application records runners' motion from all angles, dissects each plane and analyzes runners' bilateral symmetry and how it relates to their form. This allows the Lucky Foot team to make obersrvations and provides advice to runners on how to adjust for better health and performance

• Website coming soon: Online Forums, Blogs, Live Streaming Videos and Merchandise will be available!
    • Follow us on Facebook
    • Follow us on Twitter
  • JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,163 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. May 8, 2012 9:18 PM (in response to bunzi12)
    Bunion?

Are you sure you are talking about a bunion? If so, it would occur at the junction of the big toe and the ball of the foot...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ce/Hallux_Valgus-Aspect_pr%C3%A9_op_d%C3%A9charge.JPG/250px-Hallux_Valgus-Aspect_pr%C3%A9_op_d%C3%A9charge.JPG

Above is a radical example, for sure, from wikipedia, but you see where the enlargement occurs. This kind of deformation would not be likely right after C25k, but enlarged calluses on the big toe develop more rapidly in response to a sport like running...

http://footcare.ygoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/Foot-Callous.jpg

This image from footcare.ygoy.com shows an extreme example of a callus on the outside of the big toe, as well as one under the 2nd metatarsal. Wearing Birkenstocks may be helpful for normal feet, but symptoms like calluses and bunions can have more to do with biomechanical issues, genetic disposition, and anatomical differences, than they do with shoes. The foot above suggests that the 2nd metatarsal contacts the ground more than the larger 1st, which should be bearing most of the impact. The footstrike of this person probably rolls, or pronates, onto the big toe, producing the callus there. This would likely be the case if the 1st metatarsal came up short, as it appears to in this picture, and as it does with many other people, including me.

One of the things I noticed after getting serious about running was the development of callus on the big toe, as seen in the above pic. What helped me is the addition of a small pad under the ball of the foot, which as you can see in the above picture, allows the burden of impact to be placed on the 1st metatarsal, where it belongs. This reduces the need for over-pronation, and reduces the production of callus from rolling onto the big toe.

• ydiez Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    3. May 8, 2012 11:35 PM (in response to bunzi12)
    Bunion?

bunzi12 wrote:

I am having what feels like a bunion on my left foot under the big toe. It does look swollen a bit. I am a Birk wearer and barefoot person so I can't blame shoes. I just did the couch to 5k and have been doing short runs/sprints since finishing. The pain has just started at the end of the C5K. My running shoes are not tight or ill fitting. Could this just be inflammation from running? Any ideas on treatment? Soaks?

I developped a bunion in my right foot after starting running 4-5 days a week instead of 1-2. All I can say is that they are very annoying and some times painful, but they are treatable.

I would recommend visiting a physiotherapist and/or podiatrist as soon as you can to get the bunion adequately treated. The reason for this is that if you don't address the problem it will get worse. For me what worked was a visit to the physiotherapist that showed me how to stretch my toe to prevent the bunion from getting worse. At this moment I am almost pain free and can run without problems. Moreover, I will visit a podiatrist next week to see if I should wear corrective insoles while running. She will analyze the shape of my foot, the way I walk and decide wheter I shouls wear insoles to help the toe "stay in place" while running.

Finally, the last-resort treatment is to operate. It is not a difficult operation but it still carries some discomfort and does not always solve the problem.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• run970 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 30, 2011
    4. May 20, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to bunzi12)
    Bunion?

Try Bunion Bootie - fits great in running shoes and if you are in between sizes, size down.  That's my suggestion

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points