Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22545 Views 107 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2009 6:59 AM by tatcat99 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 29, 2002 6:14 PM (in response to Gidget1704)
    Re: got any quotes??

quote:

Originally posted by lbadge320:

*<b>Here's to our wives and girlfriends may they never meet!"</b> /B

i'm probably having a blonde moment, but i don't get it.

!http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/confused.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/confused.gif|border=0!

----

Aim-Ster

"Running won't kill you... You'll pass out first!"

31. Nov 3, 2002 5:40 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

im new at talkin in chat rooms... but ive got lotsa quotes (cap10s write motivational stuff to teamates every week)...

"A winner solves his problems, but a loser is defeated by his" ~Anonymous
    "The day you take complete responsibility for yourself, the day you stop making any excuses, that's the day you start to the top" ~O.J. Simpson (i dunno...)
    "Faith can move mountains, doubt can create them" ~ Anonymous

and my favorite:
    "XC: no half times, no time outs, no substitutions.  It must be the only true sport"

32. Nov 9, 2002 9:19 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

heres another Pre one that i don't think i saw, "He may beat me, but he'll have to bleed to do it."

33. Nov 9, 2002 9:43 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

President F Roosevelt "The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. of course it had nothing to do with running but it fits
    i think John Bingham one of my fav.
    "the mircle isn't that I finished...
    The miricle is I had the courage to start."
    i think that sum it all up there
    good running
    ettoo

34. Nov 13, 2002 2:04 AM (in response to Gidget1704)

quote:

Originally posted by the kenyan:

wow, he is more versetaile than i thought! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/eek.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/eek.gif|border=0!

He didn't actually write that. They show a picture of him in the background of a nike ad with that little line. But he isnt the one that said it. They just put his name there in case you cant recognize his body.

• mlbfan24 Expert 248 posts since
    Nov 1, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    35. Nov 13, 2002 2:24 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

quote:

Originally posted by PepsiTwist:

He didn't actually write that. They show a picture of him in the background of a nike ad with that little line. But he isnt the one that said it. They just put his name there in case you cant recognize his body.

Haha yeah, and it's quite comical how they put "Maurice Green (shortly after running the first sub-4 mile)" lol.

36. Nov 13, 2002 2:38 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

"Knowledge is good." -- Animal House.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy."

"Drink as if every day is your last...for someday you'll be right."

"Do or do not there is no try!"-- Yoda

"He-hee-ha-huh-hhaa-hhe hee..ho hee ha..." -- Bevis and Butthead

• sparks77 Pro 195 posts since
    Sep 12, 2002
    37. Nov 13, 2002 3:12 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

quote:

Originally posted by xc runner 05:

I've looked up XC and running quotes one day, and i found a whole bunch. A lot of these our from posts on this site, so sorry if i stole yours!!!

· It hurts up to a point and then it doesn’t get any worse. ~ Ann Trason
    · Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself. ~Steve Prefontaine
    · The gun goes off and everything changes…the world changes…and nothing else rally matters. ~ Patti Sue Plummer
    · You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can’t know what’s coming. ~ Frank Shorter
    · Some of the world’s greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible. ~Doug Larson
    · If you start to feel good during and ultra, don’t worry; you’ll get over it. ~ Gene Thibeault
    · To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~ Steve Prefontaine
    · I have met my hero, and he is me. ~ George Sheehan
    · No negative thoughts cross my mind on race day. When I look into their eyes, I know I’m going to beat them. ~Danny Harris
    · Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it. ~ Steve Prefontaine
    · There are clubs you can’t belong to, neighborhoods you can’t live it, schools you can’t get into, but the roads are always open. ~ Nike
    · Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired. ~ Jules Renard
    · I’ve always felt that long, slow running produces long, slow runners. ~ Sebastian Coe
    · We can’t all be heroes because someone has to sit on the cur and clap as they go by. ~ Will Rogers
    · The will to win means nothing if you haven’t the will to prepare. ~ Juma Ikangaa
    · Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. IT knows it must faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must move faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn’t matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be moving. ~ Maurice Green ( shortly after running the first sub-4 mile.)
    · Pain is temporary; pride is forever.
    · Cross country is a sport; everything else is just a game
    · Cross country- finally a use for golf courses
    · A runner’s addiction is never sufficed
    · Cross Country is like banging your head against a brick wall… it feels good when you stop.
    · Run like hell and get the agony over with
    · Cross country runners; we smoke grass
    · Cross country is a real sport, all other athletes are just players
    · Runners have balls, all others just play with them
    · Some people say religion is life, if that is the case then running is life.
    · Seize the day, because you do not know when it may be your last.
    · Blame nobody, expect nothing, do something.
    · Life is a marathon, with many hills, valleys, and plateaus; never stop going forward.
    · Learn from the past; strive for the present, reach for the future.
    · Cross country- we run on grass.
    · Cross Country- the sport of gods.
    · Pain is good, extreme pain is extremely good, life sucks. Run.
    · Cross country- all weather, all terrain, all the time.
    · If you fill each unforgiving minute with sixty seconds distance run, yours is the earth and all that’s in it…
    · Somewhere out there someone is training when you are not. If you race him, he will win. ~Tom Fleming
    · The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
    · There are two types of people: those who run, and those who should.
    · Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible. ~ Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
    · Some people follow their dreams; others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission. ~ Neil Kendall
    · A few weeks of hard work, a lifetime to remember.
    · Better to dare mighty things and fail, than to live in a gray twilight where there is neither victory nor defeat. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
    · Our endurance comes from our training, but our good looks are natural.
    · We run ours off so we can kick yours.
    · Our sport is your sport’s punishment.
    · Today I will run what you will not so that tomorrow I can run what you cannot.
    · Dead tired. Dog tired. Dang tired. Coach says, “Today was easy!” I think I need a normal coach.
    · The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.
    · Pain is weakness leaving the body
    · Don’t worry about people telling you to stop doing too much and that you will burn out. Burn out is mental, and if you are tough then you can do anything. ~ Dathan Ritzenhein
    · My goal is to beat yours
    · There is no I in team, but there is a U in suck.
    · With friends like these to share Saturday morning with, who needs a Friday night?
    · Some people say religion is life; if that is the case, running is life.
    · Blame nobody, expect nothing, do something.
    · Catch the person in front of you. Stay in front of the person behind you. Beat the shadow next to you!
    · They have a word in the Finnish language, “sisu”, which basically means guts. It's the strongest word in the Finnish language. You tell a Finn that he doesn't have sisu, and it’s like spitting in his face.
    · Cross Country: All weather, All terrain, All the time!
    · The race is long, and in the end it is only with yourself.
    · Runners just do it; the run for the finish line, even if someone else had reached it first.
    · Only the wearer knows wear the shoe pinches.
    · What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
    · It’s all about how badly you want it, and if you act on that want with everything and on everyday.
    · Show me a man who has never failed, and I’ll see a man who has never attempted anything.
    · The future belongs to those who believes in their dreams. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    · No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    · Nobody said it would be easy, they just said it would be worth it.
    · Tough times don’t last, but tough people do. ~ A.C. Green
    · You must always push the limits. Because if you never fail… You will never succeed.
    · Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better. ~ Juha Vaatainen, Finland
    · Cross Country is like poker. You have to be holding five good cards all the time. ~ Rollie Geiger, North Carolina State Coach
    · A running machine, that glides over mud, crud and goop. ~ Ed Eyestone’s definition of Kenyan ace John Ngugi
    · To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who’s never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind. ~ Jerome Drayton
    · Life is short… running makes it seem longer ~ Baron Hansen
    · Runs end. Running doesn’t.
    · You don’t have to have the lead if you have the courage to come from behind.

·     My mind tells me to win, My spirit shows me how, and my body delivers. unknown<br />·     The talent to be a great runner is a gift to you from God; utilizing that talent is a gift from you to yourself.<br />·     Winning isn’t everything, but the effort to win is. Zig Siglar
    · Your toughness is made up of equal parts: persistence and experience. You don’t so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head. ~ Joe Henderson
    · Once you have decided that winning isn’t everything, you become a winner. ~ George Sheehan
    · The answer to the big questions in running is the same as the answer to the big questions in life: do the best with what you’ve got.
    · It is true that speed kills. In distance running, it kills anyone who does not have it. ~Brooks Johnson
    · Our greatest glory is not never falling, but rising every time we fall. ~ Confucius
    · Some individuals dream of great accomplishments, while others stay awake and do them. ~ Beth Lukens
    · Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire. ~ Fred Shero
    · The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment. ~ William W. Ward
    · You can not propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back. ~ unknown
    · Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it. ~ Michael Johnson’s trainer
    · Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals. ~ Henry Ford
    · More sweat in training, less blood in battle ~ sign
    · There is no substitute for guts
    · Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    It's rude to count people as you pass. Outloud.
    ~ Adidas

If you still want more, leave another post, adn i'll give them to you!!! Again, sorry if i copied off someone's quote!!!

Your right running won't kill you but i passed out halfway through this post long before i would have if i was running.

----

SXC Rules

Run fast, be fast, and ya might catch me!!

""Do you ever miss it much?" Denton paused as he was sliding out of the booth and looked at Cassidy.

"Quenton, you'll come to understand this eventually.  I had my time, I really did.  It was wonderful, no doubt about it.  Stood up there blubbering like a schoolboy with my hand on my chest...."

"Bruce..."

"...and that was then.  Now I have a wonderful life.  Family, career, good health..."

"Bruce...."

Denton Laughed.

"More than I can tell you," he said, picking up the check and handing it to Cassidy."

~Again to Carthage

38. Nov 17, 2002 3:28 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

i saw this one in an adidas commercial with kobe in it:"you can do anything if you JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF".

• Dancinghomer030 Pro 99 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    39. Nov 27, 2002 12:29 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

Cross Country runners--we do it in the woods.

Cross Country isn't for everyone, only those weirdos who like to run through the woods in their underwear! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/tongue.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/tongue.gif|border=0!

I have like a twenty-seven page word document full of quotes...If you want some, just ask.

40. Nov 27, 2002 7:25 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

" Free your mind, your *** will follow"

"never look back, something might catch up!"

there you go!

Ashley

41. Nov 27, 2002 7:57 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

here is a good site of quotes...geared towards everything.

My old xc team's motto:
    "we don't run fast,
    we fly low"

----

"Most people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts."
    - steve pre fontaine

42. Nov 27, 2002 8:04 PM (in response to Gidget1704)

here's another one...
    "A tiger hunts best when it's hungry"-Picabo Street

----

"Most people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts."
    - steve pre fontaine

43. Dec 8, 2002 1:45 AM (in response to Gidget1704)

heres one from a very enlightned alumni on my team that applys to my current situation....

"Girls are stupid, throw rocks at them." -N.H.

44. Dec 29, 2002 1:19 AM (in response to Gidget1704)

My old Hapkido instructor had a good little motto:

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body"

...and I have quite a collection of quotes on just about everythign and anything, I will have to have a look and see if there are any that relate more to running.

But one of my favourite quotes is:

"The creation of a thousand forests is in the one acorn"
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

(I spose it doesn't really scream "run" at you but it's insipiring all the same)

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...