Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1131 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 11:04 AM by BOSNPM RSS
mcfederman Rookie 2 posts since
May 9, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2012 3:27 PM

Foot pain while walking week of my first half marathon!?!

Hey guys,  my first half marathon is THIS Saturday, and since my long run last week, I've had this pain on the outside edge of my right foot.  It seems to hurt more when I walk, which is weird, as opposed to when I jog down the hallway.  I've had this same pain before when I first started training, and I thought it was from running on uneven ground.  It's in the same foot, and that time the pain lasted a couple of weeks :/   I have been icing and taking ibuprofen, and trying to stay off of it as much as possible, but it is getting down to the wire, and I'm so worried that I won't be able to finish the half.  From researching online, it's hard to pin point what this pain is...   My question is: do I still go for it??  I've avoided doing any small runs this week, like I know I'm supposed to do, but will that have a negative effect on my race?/

Help please! 

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011

mcfederman,

I asked something similar in this forum a while ago and was given very good advice: First your health, then races. Should you not be able to run this saturday there will be other races. Now your preparation for the half marathon is already done so your first HM can wait a couple of weeks if your body has some problem.

I would start by seeing  a doctor or physiotherapist, as you say you are already taking painkillers, the pain must be somewhat serious. After getting this professional oppinion, you will be able to make an informed decision about wheteher or not you should try to run the HM next saturday. In some cases, pain comes from minor problems and you can "run through it", but in others, ignoring it might lead to making wathever problem is causing it worse.

I wish you a speedy recovery and lots and lots of miles afterwards.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

If you have trained, you will not lose any fitness in a week!  You may feel a little flat at the start but that is okay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points