Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1463 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2012 10:08 AM by Designeer
Kailen Ryan Rookie 2 posts since
May 15, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2012 11:48 AM

Horrific hip pain

Hi- looking for advice on what could be causing this issue for me. I am a brand new runner, doing couch to 5k. I'm 40 years old, have never run before, but before starting this program I was walking a couple of miles daily. Over the past 2 weeks I have had hip pain which started as just a twinge during the jog and then a little in the evening after the jog. Yesterday I did my 1st 20 minute stretch of jogging, but during the jog my hip was hurting, and radiating all the way to my ankle. I suffered through it, but when I started walking the pain was horrible, and caused me to limp.. It's better today, but feels more sore the more I walk on it, and I've got Aleve on board. The pain also radiates to my low back from my hip. I'm signed up for a 5k in June, and worried that this might be a bad sign for my newly discovered love of running. Help!

• Stewy60 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 15, 2012
    1. May 15, 2012 9:27 PM (in response to Kailen Ryan)
    Horrific hip pain

You are right it sucks, I have plans to start couch to 5k also myself. All I can offer is don't give up and maybe see a Doctor.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,167 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. May 16, 2012 6:48 PM (in response to Kailen Ryan)
    Re: Horrific hip pain

You may be experiencing Piriformis Syndrome, as a side effect of the new task of running on this important but sensitive hip rotator muscle...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Posterior_Hip_Muscles_1.PNG/250px-Posterior_Hip_Muscles_1.PNG

The minor glute muscles can also be involved, since they keep your hips level when you walk. Massage them by rolling a tennis ball in the upper glute/hip area. Here are some useful stretches that you must be careful not to overdo...

Bear in mind that PS is symptomatic of other problems you may have with running form or foot structure that can contribute to excess hip rotation. Physical Therapists are good at recognizing excess motion of this type, which often involves over-pronation...

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    4. May 20, 2012 10:08 AM (in response to Kailen Ryan)
    Horrific hip pain

If nothing resolves it, try looking into prolotherapy to tighten an lax tendon or ligament in the area.............worked for many of my injuries after a horrific bike crash

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points