Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

988 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 2:58 PM by Rich_Ives
einrehcaoc Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2012 7:22 AM

Throwing Bat Ejection

In Little League, is it an ejection for batter throwing bat? This is a regular at bat, kid hits ball and the bat sails after leaving his hands.I believed that it was, usually after a warning to the manager. Unless it was an act of frustration or violence of course, no warning is needed for the second example.I can't find it in LL Rulebook. I posted this question before the new version of this Board.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. May 18, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to einrehcaoc)
    Re: Throwing Bat Ejection

You won't find it in the book, either. Williamsport has guided us to warn, then eject for accidental releases of bats. You will find a direct reference to this warn/eject procedure in the Rule Instruction Manual (RIM), under 9.01(c)

Instructor Comments

Situations such as throwing the bat and other potentially unsafe actions should be covered as follows: Warn the player and warn the other members of this player’s team. After the warnings highly recommend to the manager of the offending team that it is time to substitute for the offender until they are properly schooled in the proper method of discarding the bat after the ball is hit. While there is no easy solution to this problem ultimately the responsibility rests with the team manager for teaching the players the proper way to discard a bat. .

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. May 18, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to Kyle_)
    Throwing Bat Ejection

.......and FWIW-----don't even think about calling a batter out for throwing his bat after hitting the ball, as some say is permissable;  because  calling a batter out for throwing a bat is specifically not allowed in LL print.

Frank!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. May 18, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to einrehcaoc)
    Throwing Bat Ejection

Accidental release and throwing are, to me, two distinct and different things.

An accidental release happens as part of a swing, as is seen often on TV. It is the occasional result of proper swing technique (don't have a death grip on the bat) and should not be punished.  This is what I think was described in the OP.

Throwing a bat is when a batter, after completing his swing, flips/propels the bat away from himself after hitting the ball.

THEN:  FED's rule (warn/eject) is against careless throwing, not all throwing.  Keep this in mind as putting in a general rule against "throwing" would mean to some OOOs that you couldn't toss the bat toward a big empty space near the dugout or to a coach waiting to catch it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...