Skip navigation

890 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2012 6:28 PM by Jasko123 RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 20, 2012 4:37 AM

Carbo deplete or load beginning of final taper week?

This is it, guys! I am getting pumped!!

The weather as of two days ago was calling for sun and 80s in VT for marathon day, now it's down to low 70s and sun. I wish I could "lock in" that forecast!

But to my two final questions at hand: I have read pretty contradicting nutrition plans for the final taper week. I have heard to focus on protein and delete my carbs until Wednesday, then load up on the carbs. I have also heard this plan is "old school". The other advice is just to eat carbs all week. What has worked for you?

Also, little bit of weight training ok this am? Just upper body, maybe some lower body with very little weights? I have become leaner than usual the past month or so, and can feel like I've put on a lb or two in my thighs the past week since cutting down the miles. my scale is broken (which is a good thing, as the scale used to make or break my day. I think my husband secretly broke it but thats another story!)My thoughts for doing some weights today is just to keep muscle there to help me burn some cals so I don't put on any more weight week.

Wow, can't believe a week from now I will be at a marathon start line!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

No need to do any wt lifting the week of your mararthon, save the energy!

Just eat more Carbs, no need to delete carbs.  Eat more.  Good luck

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Most experts don't consider carbo-loading, or depletion/loading, to be worthwhile, particularly for everyday runners like us.  Eat a fairly normal diet, with emphasis on carbs, pushing 60% of calories if possible.  Hydrate consistently, 24x7, so that you will be ready to go without having to think about extra fluids in the last day or two.

Skip the weights. Also skip the scale.  You almost certainly will gain a little weight but that will just give you more energy on marathon day.

Len

Len

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

I certainly agree with the expert advice.  Sometimes combining carbs with protein assists and I would only add that increasing healthy fats to about 25-30% of your daily caloric intake will help to transport vitamins as an energy source.  Also, try to avoid changes in fiber intake this final week and stay with the vegetables and whole grains that help with digestion.  Basically, look at the type of carbs and protein, so whole foods versus supplements, for example.  Make sure that at least 1/4th of your meals are from protein and vary the carbs through starchy vegtables, beans, yogurt and so on. 

Sounds like you are doing wonderfully and wishing you all the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...