Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2882 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 5:12 AM by juniordo1 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • BobL204 Amateur 35 posts since
    May 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 7, 2012 6:29 PM (in response to VeggieChick81)
    My first 26.2 recap- Vermont City

The post race party is incentive for Hyannis.  Depending on Portland it will either be the half or full for me. See you at the bar.

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/maine12/MilesintoMiracles

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    16. Jun 7, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to BobL204)

I have run the Hyannis Marathon 4 times.

It is a such a unique race in many ways.

First winter, and the weather possibilities.

The excitement of running the first loop with the half marathoners.

The second loop which is a lonely loop.

When I ran it in the early 1990's there were no finishers medals -- not a big deal to me. But unheard of today.

The traning for this race can be absolutely insane if training in the north. I had great traning weather this year. But last year I got out 7 time between the 2nd week of January and the race at the end of February.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    17. Jun 9, 2012 2:47 PM (in response to VeggieChick81)

Congrats you are a Marathoner!  Everybody goes thru a tough patch in a marathon. You will be more mentaly prepared for the next one. 70 is warm. Glad you are not a one and done.

• juniordo1 Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    18. Jun 11, 2012 5:12 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

Great job on finishing your marathon! Now everytime you look in the mirror you can smile because YOU did that.

Our stories share some similarities.

I too completed my first marathon in April and I used the Higdon Novice2 plan.

I followed a pace group for the first 13 miles and then the second loop was extremely lonely and quiet. I held my pace steady through 21 miles and was aiming for a finish in the low 4:30's and , as you said, "that's when it happened...". My left hip cramped up painfully and bothered me the rest of the way. The 4:45 pacer passed me in this stretch and for a moment I felt deflated but then I figured there was no way I wasn't going to finish and I kept going - finish time: 4:48:10. I am very happy to have finished but my time also haunts me. All I can think is what could have been.

My wife asked me after the race if I was done running now. Yeah right. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon now but I could easily transition to training for a fall marathon.

For my next I plan on using the Novice2 again and just add 1 running day per week and not skimp on the cross training. I felt like my training served me well and I never ran out of energy but the distance exposed an instaility/weakness in my hip which I am addressing.

Will your time haunt you for that course if you PR on a different course? I certainly want to PR on any course but I fell like I've got some unfinished business on my first race course.

Happy running!

2012 Minneapolis Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:06:56

2012 Brainerd Jaycess Run for the Lakes Marathon 4:48:10

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...