Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

52853 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Previous Next
  • mcmegger Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Jul 7, 2012 10:36 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)
    June C25K Starters

Kerry,

I'm not sure if there is a iPod version of the program. My friend said she couldn't find it in the app store on her iPhone but I know there are a lot of other versions. It might be worth it to contact the developer and see if he/she is working on a iPhone version.

Jun 27, 2012
    151. Jul 7, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W3d2 done. Ran a different route today since I had 2 hours to burn while my kids were in art class. Ug, won't make that mistake again. The park I chose was all up/down paths and even when I managed to run on flat or down hill, I had to do the recovery walk up hill and so my legs were dying toward the end. I didn't even notice the difference in run times this time because I was so frustrated with the layout of where I was running. I was able to channel that frustration into a "you can't beat me" attitude. I learned that I like running the same route so I can feel how I am improving. Like oh, remeber when I used to be out of breath at this spot and now I cruise by it or if I can just make it to that house there I'm almost done.

Do most of you run the same route?

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    152. Jul 7, 2012 10:40 PM (in response to mcmegger)
    June C25K Starters

I usually run the same route, but I have a road I use if I go earlier because there is less traffic.  It has a very small hill that I have to go up on the way back when I'm most tired.  Plus a ton of barking dogs.  Honestly from my house there aren't many choices.  I would love to jog south because it's a tree lined road, but there are 2 wicked bends and people roar around them all the time.  It's just too dangerous.  Shame because it's so much prettier that way.  Except for SIL's house that I'd have to pass and her and her DH are jerks so I'd likely end up breathing too heavy thinking about them.  I have jogged at the park a few times when it's cool while my husband watches our son.  But so far not this time.  I would love to find some beautiful places to run.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    153. Jul 8, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

My daughter and I finished W5D3 on Friday.  But I realized I am using a different app than everyone else - 5K runner.  Same results, different runs.  So this past run was two eight minute runs with a five minute walk in between.  Not a twenty minute run but still further than I've ever been able to run before.  That's turning into my mantra - today I'm running further than I've ever run before.  My daughter is doing great as well.  Tomorrow starts week 6 with two ten minute runs.  Yikes!

Congrats to everyone who is still sticking it out. 

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    154. Jul 9, 2012 7:53 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

@mom2 Well, went ahead with W6D1 today since I was dragging this morning after a long (but fun) weekend.  The 5/8/5 runs seemed more doable than a big 20!  Plus, I figure whoever made the C25K program knows what they are doing when ramping it up so quickly, then backing off a bit after.  I ran my usual route and hit the monster hill right at 4 minutes into the 8 minute interval.  It took the majority of the next 4 minutes to make the climb, but I made it.  Looking forward to the two 10s Wednesday. 

@mb Your program seems to be a good one.  I was shocked when I saw the C25K week 5 go from some 5s on D1 to a 20 on D3!

@mcm  I liked running a different route Friday.  Makes it new and changes it up a bit.  I am reserving that new route for my long (20+) runs though.  I am lucky that I have an entire paved neighborhood with no houses built yet to run on.  Kind of like running at a park, but more secluded.

@Bau good job keeping up with the program, even during the hassle of a move!

@Taur 4 miles!  Awesome, can't wait until I am at that point.  I even started looking at what 5Ks are coming up around me.  I feel I need to be able to comfortably run at least 4 miles before I enter one though.

Keep it up everybody, we are getting close to "graduation!"

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

Dec 14, 2007
    155. Jul 9, 2012 3:45 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Daughter and I completed our next run today.  It was two ten minute runs with a five minute walk in between.  We did it on an indoor track and, boy, that makes a difference.  My daughter did not want to go today.  Our last run was tough on her and I think she started losing some confidence.  She bounced right back today.  I'm actually thinking about signing up for a 5K.

• Yadyad Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2012
    156. Jul 9, 2012 6:13 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Just joining you guys! Hi!  Here in Chicago and on W1D2 - completed today.  Read all of your comments.  Huge props for the moms out there.  I am only 27 and it's a challenge.  Proud of you ladies!

• CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    157. Jul 9, 2012 6:38 PM (in response to Yadyad)
    June C25K Starters

Welcome Yad!  This is a great group.  No props for us Dads, though?

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

Jul 28, 2010
    158. Jul 10, 2012 2:30 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Having trouble responding.  I tried several times last night and my post wouldn't go thru.  

MB923 sounds like you are doing awesome.  I'd love to compare our programs if you are willing to share what your jogs are each day.  I always thought that the 20 minutes came about a week too soon.  Which is why I'm not going to sweat rather I finish it or not when it comes. 

Yad: Welcome to the group.  Love to see new starters. 

Camaro: Of course there are props for dad's too.  It's a lot of work for anyone.  Of course most of you guys have a bit of an edge on us.  But if you are not already a runner or high fitness person it still takes hard work no matter who you are.

mcmegger:  I like the same route for the same reason.  I cruise past a spot I struggled past and it amazes me.  After the 1st jog of a week I have an idea of where my next jogs might end and it makes me less anxious to check the time.  But sometimes I enjoy seeing new things too.  Looking forward to your next update. 

I missed another day!  My husband gave me such hard time about going Sunday night that I just threw up my hands in disgust and didn't go.  Then I didn't sleep all night because I was mad at myself for adding a 3rd time in a row where I had 2 off days between jogs.  I considered going at dawn, but between traffic and having been up all night (I was feeling exhausted.) I decided it was an accident waiting to happen.  Last night at midnight I was on the road again.   As usual started out struggling.  It always seems to feel hard at 1st.  The 2nd jog I was feeling really tired wondering if I was going to hit that bad day we all have sooner or later where it just isn't happening even after we work the kinks out.  Felt a little better on the 3rd jog even though I wasn't ready by a long shot to go when the voice told me to.  When I started that final 5 minute one I was feeling so tired.  Just watching the road listening to my feet tap tapping along as the music played.  I started singing some stupid song in my head from an old movie.. "Put one food in front of the other and soon you'll be walking 'cross the floor..."  Not even sure I had the words right.  LOL  Just trying to keep moving.  For a minute or so I swear I almost felt that elusive rythem that you hear about, the one where you could just keep running for awhile.  When I looked at my time to see how much was left I had 6 seconds and I was thinking I feel like I could just keep going.  I didn't because I didn't want to push it that much and I still haven't been feeling well.  I swear when I checked the time it said I was doing a 10 point something minute mile.  Must have been sweat in my eyes.  LOL  No way I was running that fast, I didn't even hit the 2 mile total mark today.  Maybe 1.95 I think.  By the end of my walk I was dragging so much that it told me my current pace was over 18 mm for the last 2 minutes or longer.  I drug myself into the house to rest.  Ended up with an average of 16.19 min/mile.  W4D2 - done!

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2014 - ??

Dec 14, 2007
    159. Jul 10, 2012 6:07 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Geo - I'm sorry your husband isn't being more supportive.  By this point, enough people know I'm doing this with my daughter that it would be pretty embarassing if we quit.  I'm happy to share the program we're using.  I'll start with week 5 but if you want me to go earlier, just let me know.  They all start and end with five minute walks.  W5D1: 5R, 3W, 6R, 3W, 5R.  W5D2:  5R, 3W, 8R, 5W, 5R.  W5D3:  8R, 5W, 8R.  W6D1:  10R, 5W, 10R.  W6D2: 10R, 3W, 10R.  W6D3:  15R, 3W, 5R.  W7D1:  20R.  W7D2:  20R.  W7D3:  25R.  W8D1:  28R.  W8D2:  30R.  W8D3:  35R.

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    160. Jul 10, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I was supposed to do my 20 minute W5D3 run yesterday morning, but my left heel was sore when my alarm went off, so I pushed it back to this morning.  Had a GREAT run this morning!  We had a storm blow through last night, so it was cooler and it started raining lightly just as I finished the 5 minute warm-up walk.  I had the roads all to myself this morning and i didn't struggle at all on this run.  I felt like I could have run much longer when I was done. That is a great feeling!  My only complaint was that I forgot a hat since it was only cloudy when I started.  I had a hard time keeping the rain out of my eyes.  But I will gladly take that over sweating to death any day!

• liebeslied Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 14, 2012
    161. Jul 10, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to KristiRPhTX)
    June C25K Starters

Just did W4D3. It really is easier if I run before I'm fully awake.

Jul 28, 2010
    162. Jul 10, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to mb923)
    June C25K Starters

MB:  Thanks for sharing. You are doing so great. I think I like your program better. At least for weeks 5,6 and 7. Do you not have a week 9? Week 9 day 3 for C25K is a 30 minute jog for the 3rd time. (Which I was hoping to lengthen so I was at least covering the 3 miles, including the warm up and cool down.) As slow as I was the 1st time I tried this I figured I'd need an extra 2 weeks to reach 5K. I'm still behind on distance vs time this time. I just can't do this for distance right now. I'm barely making some of the runs going for time. Plus my DH resents having to spend the time following me. I've told him it will be for 40 minutes toward the end of the program and he was clearly saying OK in a way that says "you owe me one." He is not on my "I'm happy with you list" today, he's on the other one that I dare not mention here. He knew I was stressed and upset and what did he do? He gave me 2 candy bars. It was all I could do to now rain fire down on his head. I've begged him to not do that, to put the chips in his closet or hide them so I don't know they are there and he doesn't think it's fair to him for me to ask that. Then he doesn’t get why I feel like he’s being selfish lately.  It’s not like I asked him to up his beloved chips just to put them up.  Didn’t even ask him to not eat them or his nightly ice cream in front of me.  Just don’t leave the bag lying on the couch and don’t offer them to me.  I love him but there are days I want to slap him into next week. 

Kristi: Awesome job.  The weather looks nice and rainy for the next week here in the Conroe area.  So excited to know I have a good chance of jogging in some cooling rain.  I’m really wanting to go right now to run off some of the aggravation with my husband, but I know less than 24 hours between runs is asking for an injury. 

Liebeslide:  Great job!  Now I know why so many people jog in the morning.  Heck if you could half your run in before you are really awake that means you only have to work for the 2nd half.  Just watch out for zombies chasing you while you are still dreaming. 

2014 - ??

• Medbill Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 30, 2012
    163. Jul 10, 2012 8:51 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I started the program on June 18 and am repeating days to stretch it out over 12 weeks...  So, tonight I did week 3 day 2.  I am very surprised with the ease of running when you are using an app such as this and increasing the time and/or distance so gradually!

I'm just going by time right now.  I haven't even clocked my distance.  When I'm done with the whole program, I'll work on distance or speed, whichever I'm struggling most with.

I do my running every other night on a paved path through woods that connect to a park a few blocks away from my home.  I go in the evenings and it is hot, but so worth it just to be moving!

My app is different than what most of you are using also.  Here is the website of the one I'm using:  http://felttip.com/run5k/

Happy running, everyone! 

Dot in Oklahoma :-)

Jun 27, 2012
    164. Jul 10, 2012 10:43 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I tried skip a day and ended up paying for it big time. I decided to skip W3D3 and move right into W4D1 because I have had 2 rest days in a row twice this week and I want to get back on track. I also went to my hydrofit class last night and we had a new instructor that hadn't ever taught a hydrofit class or taken one so he was reading off exercises out of a binder and I think he had us doing our sets too long and in an illogical order.

The end result is that I was not able to finish W4D1 because my knees and hips were dying toward the end. I did fine for the first 2 runs (R3 W2.5 R5) but was seriously hurting during the next R3. When the final R5 came up I knew I was risking injury if I kept going. I also have to be careful of tendonitis and tendon rupture since its a side affect of a medication I was taking.

I think I just need to give myself permission to repeat week 3 and not worry about trying to keep pace with where I think I should be. Thanks so much to all of you who have been posting regularly. I was thinking of all of you while I was dying during the 3 minute run and just knowing that others have done it even though it was hard and even though I was dissapointed that I didn't complete the run I was looking forward to posting here to share my experience. Any progress is better than sitting on the couch and I will learn from my mistakes.

Keep up the good work and thanks for being here for me.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...