Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49831 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • CamaroZ28c Expert 45 posts since
    Jul 2, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Jul 23, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to GeoWolf)
    June C25K Starters

@geo You are right, I should have specified the H+ portion of the lactic acid was building up (acidosis).  Have you had your headaches checked by a doctor?  If it isn't migraines, do you have high blood pressure?  If you haven't already, you may want to look into a CT scan to rule out anything life threatening.  It is NOT normal to have a consistent headache for 4-5 days! 

Time for my update:  I ran W8D1 today which on my program is the beginning of the final week.  It was a 28R.  I feel it went well, although I went a little slower than I did Friday because I figured I may have pushed myself a bit then, causing me to walk a bit.  This time I merged my old route with my newer one to get the extra distance needed for the 28 minutes of running (tacked on the 1 mile portion on the left before heading to the ~2 mile slightly truncated portion I had been doing on the right).  Technically, it is supposed to be 2.75 miles at that amount of time but I came in a little short before the timer ran out.  Still averaging ~11-12 min miles. 

Merged route.jpg.Bmp

Now I need to decide what to do after the end of the program.  I think I will continue the 5k distance for awhile (sans program) until I confident in my speed, then might try one of those bridge program to ramp me up to 10k.  I really like the program pushing me so I don't want to lose that.  I also don't want to jump into another program before I am ready either.  Decisions, decisions!  What are all of you thinking of doing after "graduation?"

Haven't heard from some of you in a long while.  Still with us?

C25k completed 7/27/2012

1st 5k: Alert Road Race 6/15/2013 - 34 minutes

• AnneVant Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 5, 2012
    211. Jul 23, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

Great job Camaro!

I just started W7D1 on my program - which was my first 20 min. run. From here on there aren't any walks peppered in and I slowly gain time for the run. The first 5 minutes were rough, but once I found a rhythm the breathing and pace settled in. I did find that the last 2 min. the breathing became difficult again - perhaps I was anticipating the cool down walk!!  I iced my knees this a.m. hoping that will help me sleep tonight, as they've been a bit uncomfortable overnights lately. Need to find some strengthening exercises for them.

@Camaro - going for the 10K is cool - I'm hoping to maintain the 5K distance, find some races to better my times (when I finally get there), and try some different routes. I've been running the same route during this whole process, for a number of reasons, but I would love to expand where I run to once I take the training wheels off!  I'd like to keep doing this as exercise, so I need motivation too - having the dog helps - getting her tired is the goal...not there yet!

Have a great week everyone - can't wait to hear all the progress going on! We're getting closer!!

Jul 2, 2012
    212. Jul 23, 2012 7:11 AM (in response to AnneVant)
    June C25K Starters

@Anne   Awesome job getting your first 20R out of the way!  That was a the big hurdle that I was worried about when I got to it in my program.  You should try some different routes sometime.  It helps to shake things up sometimes for your enjoyment and also for your muscles.  Won't it be awesome when you get to the point where your dog gets tired before you do!

C25k completed 7/27/2012

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    213. Jul 23, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Geo - I will second the suggestion of getting your bp checked.  I was having terrible headaches last year and that ended up being the problem.

Unfortunately I have nothing to report today.  The weather and our schedules kept daughter and I from running this weekend.  We have a 25 minute run scheduled for this afternoon with no excuses accepted!  I was hoping to finish the program this week but it's not going to happen.  I'd really like to finish by the end of July.  We're on target.

Great job everyone!  Keep on moving!

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    214. Jul 23, 2012 7:31 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

Did my W7D2 run today--another 25 minute run.  Felt really good throughout the run!  I ran part of the 5K route for Saturday's race.  Yes, I am crazy and doing a 5K before I finish the program!  But, it's for our town's annual jamboree and it's only 1/2 mile over what I've been running lately.  I KNOW I can finish it--I feel like I can run for another 8 or so minutes in order to do the full distance.  And this way, my 2 boys can see me run a race.  They know momma runs, but they've never seen me yet.  They are very excited for this weekend!

Good luck to everyone else & keep up the good work!

Jul 5, 2012
    215. Jul 23, 2012 7:36 AM (in response to KristiRPhTX)
    June C25K Starters

@ Camaro - yes it felt great. A big hurdle! I will change things up...maybe Wed. morning...I have a flat route I've been eyeing!

@ Kristi - WOW - good for you! Good luck on Saturday - I know you'll do well. It will be so worth it to have your boys see you cross the finish line! Can't wait to hear all about it!

• GeoWolf Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    216. Jul 23, 2012 9:12 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    Re: June C25K Starters

Camaro - Nice going!  I'd be thrilled if I got to that point and was running that far.  I do like the idea of doing a 10K someday but that's my limit and I think I'll wait until I have a few months of 5K before I decide if I even want to go further.  Much as I love to run at this point, I just don't have this huge desire to do it for a long time when I have so many other things I love to do. 

Anne:  Great Job on that 20 min. run.  It's amazing to realize that you did that one isn't it? 

MB:  Look forward to hearing how it went today. 

Kristi:  Wow a 5K already, have fun!  I'm hoping for one in late Aug or Early Sept.  Once I get to week 9 I think I'll have a better idea of when I might be able to do one.  But you're right you are so close that it should be pretty easy to add in the little bit of distance.  Good luck Sat. 

Edited to add:

I haven't done my jog tonight yet.  Been feeling hot all day, but my headache seems to be gone.  It's funny that this week I have now been asked about both high and low blood pressure.  No I don't have high BP.  It's actually been on the low side for the most part.  It does go up some when I get stressed or after a jog, but we are talking about a little above normal as opposed to 103/69 which is one that I just happed to rember from this past week.  I had an MRI late last year after I passed out and it was clear.  I'm waiting to be tested for seizures.  Wondering if this could be an ear infection or something else.  My ear on that side feels a little full I guess, but I didn't notice it until my headache started going away sometime last night.  The pain is in my temple.  The only other headaches I've had this long were sinus headaches and they were more in the front not the side.   I will check in later.  I need to get ready to run. 

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

Jul 28, 2010
    217. Jul 24, 2012 1:11 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    Re: June C25K Starters

I did my jog earlier. . Week 6 Day 2 is out the door! My warm up was messed up a bit because one of my neighbors was outside in her car and I stopped to check on her. Then the neighbors dog started following me and another neighbor's dog decided to join in so I kept having to chase them back. When my walk was getting close to the 5 minute mark and I'd only gone a little over 1/2 my normal short distance I decided to start my time over and just skip right over that. But I paused it to finish out the 1/4 mile I usually do. Then I figured I'd see what my total was for just the jog/walk part. Yes I'm still slow. LOL I covered .75 miles on the 1st 10 minute jog and by the time I finished the 3 min walk and the 2nd 10 min jog I was only at 1.58. So my total distance was was just over 2 miles. In retrospect it was a bad idea to skip the walks in my total like that. I'm excited to get to 5K but when I look at it that way I'm only 1/2 way there. I hate being so slow. I'm trying to talk myself up because my breathing was good. My legs weren't too shaky. After all they held me up. LOL And as I gain more stamina I should be able to keep my pace steady. Hey just 8 short weeks ago I was huffing and puffing more to make a minute than I am now to make the who day. Well there was that one slump about 4 minutes into the 2nd segment where I was thinking Oh God I should have waited until tomorrow. After I posted here earlier I went to get dressed and my stomach started cramping. Wasn't sure if I was getting a bug or what. An hour later I was wavering on rather I should go or not. I hadn't drank as much water as I should and I wasn't sure I wasn't going to be diving into the woods looking for a little privacy at some point. But I did not want to take another 2 night break. So I eased out hoping for the best. Didn't do the best job of stretching either, because of my worry I'd decided to forget it. So when I looked at my timer and saw I had over 6 minutes left and I was thinking about all the little setbacks I'd had before my run even started I really had to fight myself not to just stop and try it again another night. For me there always seems to be a time when I have to push hard to keep going. I can't wait until I get past that to where the entire jog is enjoyable. To where I can maybe even think "Wow it's over already? I’m enjoying this so much, I’d love to go a little further." Hoping that will come by week 10 or 11.

According to the C25K program on the computer my next jog says 22 minutes with no walking. The app on my phone has differed for the 1st time and sort of freaked me out when I saw it says 25 minutes. Which I have had in my mind was next week. I think I’m going to make my goal for 22 and be happy with that. If I’m feeling good to go of course I’ll push for however many extra I can do to make 25. But I won’t let stopping at 22 make me feel like a failure. I also won’t let pausing for a drink if I need one count against me. Because it’s been pretty hot and muggy again. I needed that walk in the middle today to pour some water over my head and chug some down. Even though the temp was below 80 when I started I was just so hot all day and I started out hot. So far I haven’t had to take any drink breaks when I wasn’t on a walk but as I go for the longer times I think at least 1 might be prudent if I’m feeling drained.

Not sure if anyone really cares to read about my journey thru this, but I enjoy writing about them. I figure that maybe if others who aren't finding it easy and have to battle themselves to keep going they might see that they are not alone. Sometimes it just seems like almost everyone breezes thru. Even though I know that's not true.

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2014 - ??

Dec 14, 2007
    218. Jul 24, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Geo - I look forward to your updates.  Keep them coming.  You've had a lot working against you but you keep on trying.  It's awesome.  And thanks for keeping me accountable.  Daughter and I did W7D3 yesterday - a 25 minute run.  I'm amazed.  It wasn't easy but we did it.  We have three runs left to go - 28, 30, 35.  We won't be able to do any this weekend so I'm trying to figure out when to schedule them.  Hopefully we'll be done by next Wednesday at the latest.

Kristi - we'll be thinking of you this weekend.  Can't wait to hear how you did!

I need to find a way to stay motivated after I finish the program.  I definitely need to work on running outside and my speed.  A friend recommended the runtastic app but I'm having trouble getting it to load.  Any other suggestions?

• ikkinikki607 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    219. Jul 24, 2012 8:32 AM (in response to GeoWolf)
    June C25K Starters

Geo,

I enjoy reading your updates.  It's nice to know that I am not the only one that struggles from time to time.  I am curious, what kind of time is everyone running for a mile.  I find that I am getting discouraged at only running a 14 min mile.  So I try and speed it up and have trouble getting through the whole run.  Last night I did W8D2 (28 minute run) and kept a 12 min mile for the first mile and then had to slow down to 4 or 4.5 mph.  I am getting so discouraged!!  Any suggestions?  I know I should be happy to just be able to run for 28 minutes no matter how slow it is!

Dec 14, 2007
    220. Jul 24, 2012 8:53 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

ikki - I don't think you should worry about your speed.  I think I am running between 10 and 11 min miles but keep in mind I'm trying to keep up with a ten year old.  Think about what your are accomplishing.  Yesterday I was so tired by the end.  But once I got past twenty minutes, I kept saying to myself "This is further than I've ever run."  Are you running inside or out?  For me, inside is so much easier.  I know I'm going to have to backtrack a little once it cools off and I move outside.  Just think back to where you were eight weeks ago.

• ikkinikki607 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    221. Jul 24, 2012 9:22 AM (in response to mb923)
    June C25K Starters

mb923,

For the majority of the program, I was doing it outside.  My past 3 runs have been inside due to the flipping hot weather!!  I find the inside ones harder.  I am use to getting to a spot and being excited that I got that far (I always take the same route).  I get so bored running inside!!  My best run was at 6 AM and it was like 55 degrees out and it was such an easy 20 minute run.  I think about my progress everytime I get discouraged, how I went from struggling to finish W1D1 and here I am on W8D3.  28 minutes straight!  I think I might just finish the program since on my app, I only have 4 runs left, then restart it, jogging slow during the walk sessions and running faster during the running sessions. 

Geo,

My app also said 25 minutes when it was not suppose to.  I think there is a glitch in the program!  I was freaking out about that 25 minutes as well!!

Jul 28, 2010
    222. Jul 24, 2012 11:23 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

MB:  You guys are doing great!  Only 3 runs let that’s awesome.  Not the jumps in time you have to do so quickly though.  28 to 30 doesn’t seem to bad, but going right to 35 after that seems huge.  On the other hand I’m thinking that C25K with its 3 days in a row of 25 -28 and then 30 seems a bit too slow to finish out.  If I was going to change the program after 2 of each I want to try and step it up.  So if I did tomorrow’s run at 25 minutes and W7D1 then W7D2 &3 I’d try for 28.  W8 D1&2 would be 30.  The next 2 days 32 or 33. W9 D2&3 I’d try for 35.  If I was anywhere close to 5K well I might try to push it more.  It does seem like a lot of people on these programs can’t do a 10 mm so the fact that C25K calls for one to finish on time is a bit disappointing once you realize that.  Of course being on my 3rd time I came to terms with it long ago.  And maybe it’s best that I wasn’t thinking of 5K in terms of taking 45 minutes of my time when started.  It would have felt a lot harder to carve that out. 

ikkinikki: I’m interested in what others speed is too.  I’ve mentioned how slow I am.  My last run came in at 15.16 min/mile.  I don’t know why but when I look at my phone to check the speed it always says somewhere around a 10 min/mile.  I thought maybe it was giving it in K but I keep looking and it says mile.  The only thing I can figure is that the thing is wrong on the number.  Either that or I’m speeding up a lot when I look and I just can’t tell that I am.  Just run for the joy of it and work on speed later.  Even if you are always slow it’s still great for you and fun.  Why should I feel bad just because it takes me 45 minutes to do what others do in 30.  Then what I should compare myself to those who are super-fast and feel bad because I can’t keep up.  Hey there is only one fastest person in the world so maybe everyone who can’t keep up with him should feel like they aren’t doing a great job?  I tell my son that you can’t always expect to do everything perfect.  You can’t even always expect to do it good.  But with a lot of things the value is in having a good time doing it.  It’s fine to want to get a strike every time when you are bowling (Wii) but take joy in the game even if you only knock down a few pins.  Yes even at 3 and 4 he wanted to be able to do things without making a mistake and would get frustrated if he couldn’t.  So I keep trying to remind myself of the same thing.  I didn’t start this to win races.  I started it to get healthier for myself and my son.  Not that I wouldn’t still love to be the jaguar.  You are doing such a good job so focus on that instead of your speed.  28 minutes!  That is amazing! 

I hate running on a treadmill.  I try to avoid it at all costs.  There is an old one at my MIL’s (She actually gave it to me, but SIL would have a fit if I took it now, even though it’s just sitting there in her house with no one using it.)  and I’ve used it a few times when Joe couldn’t follow me or the weather was insanely hot.  Only not for a while since she doesn’t live there anymore and the air is off so it would be a pain to get the room ready.  Plus like I said I hate running on one.  I do wonder how switching from a treadmill to outside  works out.  I would think the way you run changes at least it feels like it to me when I do the opposite.  Do you usually run the same speed with the same effort? 

Looking forward to more updates. 

2014 - ??

Jul 5, 2012
    223. Jul 25, 2012 5:05 AM (in response to CamaroZ28c)
    June C25K Starters

@Camaro - so I, sort of, took your advice. I ran my regular route backwards...we have a reactive dog and need to make sure we know what we're going to meet each time we run...so if I run a new place it has to be without her the first few times, which I will do this weekend!  It felt different but good. And it wasn't a fluke!!! I ran another 20 minutes straight. Man, that felt great - better than Monday. I can't wait to add some minutes on Friday and start week 8 on Sunday! Can't believe I'll be on my own soon with this.

Mb923 I have RunKeeper loaded on my phone...have used it with the 5K Runner once or twice...but my time and distance were too depressing. As I get closer to the end I'll fire it up again to see how far and fast I'm running and use that as motivation to actually make it the 3K distance.  I checked out Runtastic and it seems the same as RunKeeper. I think I'll stick with RK and then maybe try the other later.

Ikkinikki - good idea with the restart and running for the walk...hmmm...might be worth a try!   I haven't run on my treadmill yet...and I'm going to have to start running when it's warmer as our Sept. 8 start time is 11...don't want to be shocked at how hot I am! It was beautiful this morning at 60 and low humidity!

Kristi - good luck tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you and cheering!

Keep up the great work everyone. We're getting closer!

Jul 2, 2012
    224. Jul 25, 2012 6:28 AM (in response to AnneVant)
    June C25K Starters

@ Anne  Cool, glad you liked the change!  Also, congrats on another 20R!  I am also in disbelief that I'm just about finished with C25K!

@mb I use CardioTrainer on my phone to track my runs. It tells me time elasped, speed, distance, elevation (climb) and also figures a rough amount of calories burned based on weight.  I am still running ~11mm.  I am looking to running the 5k consistentely before working on getting my speed up.

My update:  I ran W8D2 this morning using the modified 2.9 mile route I ran Monday.  I was surprised when I walked out the door this morning and it was nearly 90F still!  There was also a 13mph wind out of the South.  Today is supposed to be a 28R.  After 18 minutes and a little over 1.5 miles (and the two biggest hills on my route) I did a quick 1 minute fast walk to get my breathing slowed a bit then continued running.  Nine minutes later, my timer ended but I wasn't at the end of my route yet (wind was slowing me down, but was also cooling me off at the same time, so mixed blessing there) so I kept running.  Ended up running through the cool down 5 minutes too, so had over 30 minutes running!  Felt good, but wow was I stiff afterwards!  Keep the updates coming everyone!  We are doing really great!   

C25k completed 7/27/2012

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...