Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

46429 Views 259 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2012 7:55 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Previous Next
  • MichelleReneeMercure Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jun 20, 2012 2:03 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W3D1 completed and it wasn't pretty.  I was not feeling well (migraine began mid-day) and work is super stressful right now.  Typically a good workout clears my head of the stress but I just couldn't do it.  I started to get nauseous and pushed through as much as I could.  I'm not a quitter, dang it .  I'm hoping the funk clears and Thursday will work better.  I'm contemplating adding a 4th gym day so that if this mood comes back, I have an extra day to fall back on and I won't beat myself up about it so much. 

• Joan48732 Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 17, 2012
    91. Jun 20, 2012 5:44 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

W1D2 complete. 

• sassyetc Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 14, 2012
    92. Jun 22, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

It's great to see so many committed to this like me!

Since the C25K app I have does the program in 8 weeks (instead of 9) this week (W4) has been a bit different for me. I warm up then I run 4 min, walk 2 min, run 6 min, walk 3 min, run 4 min and walk 2 min..and cool down. I was sooooo impressed that I was able to run 6 minutes without stopping!!! I felt amazing. I am looking forward to the day I can run outright for a mile

I have been alternating b/t running outside and on treadmill and I am always trying to make myself walk/run faster. I am currently walking at 3.5 and running af 4.7-4.8.

• JMacNeill Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 15, 2012
    93. Jun 22, 2012 4:52 PM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Hi everyone. I started C25K this month also. I did a trial run on June 16th and then went again today for the first "real" run. I did so much better today than last week, but still had to skip the last two jogs. I just have a question. Should I keep redoing week 1 day 1 until I can complete it or can I move on to week 1 day 2? I am a bit embarrassed that I can't even complete the first day but I'm in terrible shape and have never in my life been able to run, so this is actually quite a triumph.

Started C25K - June 16, 2012

Completed - 2012 Run for the Fallen 5K Tampa, August 26, 2012

Next - Annual Florida Halloween 5K Fort De Soto Park, October 28, 2012

Training - First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon, March 17, 2013

• ErinHB Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 13, 2012
    94. Jun 22, 2012 8:45 PM (in response to MichelleReneeMercure)
    June C25K Starters

@JMacNeill - first off, good for you for getting out there for day 2!! It doesn't matter how fast or long you run- you are still lapping everyone on the couch! If I were in your shoes (and I was last week when week 1 kicked my ***), I would stick with week 1 until you can complete the module as outlined. I ended up running 4 days just so I felt prepared for week 2.

Good luck and keep going! We are here to help and motivate!

• TisforTiara Amateur 21 posts since
    Jun 5, 2012
    95. Jun 23, 2012 3:22 AM (in response to JMacNeill)
    June C25K Starters

hi JMacNeill, good for you - as ErinHB says, you've taken that first step and so you're already miles ahead of all those still stuck to the couch.  Like you, I'm completely out of shape (well, I was when I started this), 50+ years old, a good 100 pounds overweight.  It's about building confidence - you know you can do the first jogs, and if you can't manage the lot, just keep repeating week 1 till you can.  You'll be surprised at how quickly that happens!  And you'll get so much support and advice from this group.

I'm now on W4, just completed D1 - on the treadmill at the gym, my usual running route is under water today.  I think the treadmill is maybe a wee bit easier than running outside, but it means that I can keep a steady pace rather than slowing down at the end of of the run, so swings and roundabouts.  Looking forward now to running for a whole 5 minutes outside, once the floods subside.  Bring it on!

• JMacNeill Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 15, 2012
    96. Jun 23, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to TisforTiara)
    June C25K Starters

@ErinHB and @TisforTiara, thank you both so much for your advice and encouragement. I think based on what I did yesterday, I would only need one more day to finish day 1. Thank you both!

Started C25K - June 16, 2012

Completed - 2012 Run for the Fallen 5K Tampa, August 26, 2012

Next - Annual Florida Halloween 5K Fort De Soto Park, October 28, 2012

Training - First Watch Sarasota Half Marathon, March 17, 2013

• mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    97. Jun 24, 2012 5:00 AM (in response to JMacNeill)
    June C25K Starters

I struggled with W4D2 but completed it.  However, I couldn't complete W4D3.  Same running pattern.  I am thinking that it was just hotter outside and that was the biggest contributing factor.  I struggled, but made it up until the the last 5 minute running block -- only made about 2 minutes or so before I had to walk -- I did walk and then start running agin to finish the time -- but need to walk two 30 second segments to finish it. My husband also ran with me -- and he thinks that threw me off.  He is a runner and was trying to give me encouragement, but thinks I was worried about what he thought and it messed me up.  Probably a combination.  So frustrating though.  I would like to try it again today -- but not sure if I should wait and have a rest day.  Any thoughts?

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    98. Jun 24, 2012 9:12 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

I have been away for a while (rev'd up my training), but reading all these posts it sounds like everyone is doing really well!  Keep up the good work!

I ran a 5k yesterday, Rock 'n Sole on Milwaukee's historic Hoan Bridge.  Its a big bridge and the incline was killer, but I finished with a new PR of 39:56!  stoked to be in the 30's for my 5k finish time.  Won't be able to run now until Tuesday with my summer school schedule not too happy about that, but I fit them in where I can!

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• GeoWolf Pro 96 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    99. Jun 25, 2012 1:16 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Can I join? I just did W2D2 tonight. Well it was a little after midnight so, it was yesterday's run, today? I am using the C25K app and I like that I don't have to watch the clock, but I can't figure out how to look at my stats, other than the distance and rate. Beats the old method I was using before I had a smart phone. I would carry my GPS for distance and time, and an MP3 player for music, Then I discovered podcasts and they were nice for not having to check my time, but I wasn't fond of most of the music. Did I mention this is my 3rd attempt to finish C25K? A car accident ended my 1st attempt and a freak (not jogging related) injury ended my 2nd one. But I really like jogging so I'm going to keep trying. I actually started in May but fell and hurt my knee since I was only off a short time and had only completed W1 I didn't have to start over again.

I am a very slow jogger and walker too. Actually some of my walks toward the end I'm surprised to see I'm actually moving. LOL I'm still dealing with leg cramps on the walks but I'm hoping that like the last 2 times they will line out about week 4. I thought it was switching shoes (I wear Vibrams barefoot running shoes and love them.) the 1st time I did this that did the trick but I think it's the walking that is giving me the leg cramps not the actual jogging. I'm a night person so I jog then. I'd like to try and switch at some point to mornings, but I'm not looking at it for now.

JMacNeil: The first time I started this program I had to add lots of extra days. Here was my philosophy:  Never repeat day 1 or 2 unless it’s different than the other days.  If you get to day 3 and you still don’t feel like you did well enough to move on then add a day 4.  It makes you feel much better to be on W1D6 after 6 days than it does to be stalled out at D1.  That way you are always moving forward.  Count your successes and every day you get out there and try is a success.  You deserve credit for it.  Once you are at D3 and you do a run for that week 1 time and it feels OK, you can move on to the next week and do that week 6 times if you have to.  Heck if you barely made it if you feel ready to tackle the next week go for it.  The first time I did this I never had a good day 1 run.  Not sure I ever completed a day 1 and I’m not sure the 1st time I did C25K that I completed any day 2 runs and very few times did I do a run on day 3, but I know I did week 1 for 6 days and week 2 was at least 5.  Almost every week had 4 days.  I tried the 20 minute straight run 3 times and then I accepted that I might never run 20 minutes without a short walk for water and I skipped on to the next day.  It doesn’t have to be perfect.  It doesn’t have to meet someone else’s ideals.  Would anyone say I’m not a runner because I had to walk for less than a minute halfway thru a 5K run?  I figured that one day way on down the road I’d be able to skip that walk but it wasn’t going to be before I finished the C25K as far as time and I wasn’t going to get to 5K in the time allotted either.  I was hoping to get there with the warm up and cool down walks included.  (I was only covered about a 1/2 mile with total with those to give you an idea of how slow I am.)  But you know what that was all miles I wasn’t even walking before.  Success is what you make it.  I’m assuming that when I get into the higher weeks this time I’ll have to add some days.  Been OK with weeks 1 and 2, but still slow.  One huge thing I’d suggest is to make sure you are not trying to run too fast.  It’s a mistake a lot of people make.  Slow down so you can do the time or distance and come back and work on speed later.  I’ve heard of a lot of people repeating C25K with a jog slow where it says walk and jog faster where it says jog to get their speed up.  I know that I was doing that before I accepted that I was just never going to be very fast.  My goal is a 15 minute mile.  LOL  I might actually make that this time.  I’m content with what I can do a little at a time.  When I finish all my jogs I celebrate.  When I fall down and sit on the side of the road and cry because I’m wondering if I will ever do this and then I get up and finish out what was left of my run, I celebrate.  Because I got up and tried again.  When I’m out of breath before I’ve barely started and I realize that today is just not my day, because OMG I feel awful and I give up and go home… I celebrate, because in the back of my head I’m not giving up, I’m planning for tomorrow’s run.  I’ve had to start over twice after making it to week 9 once and week 8 the 2nd time, but I knew that I would try again.  Sure I cursed the bad luck because it’s not fair, but I know this is going to happen for me.  Not as quickly or as pretty as I would have liked but it’s going to happen.  You can do it.  But it never hurts to use the things that give your spirit a boost to help you keep going.  So you are week 1 day what?  

Get up and try again! I think I must be setting a record for how many times I've been sidelined in my quest to actually run an entire 5K. Back injury, bronchitis, knee injury, bad cold, broken toe, biopsy. I am determined to make it.

2013 - Gritty Goddess Mud Run (Run/Walk)

2013 - Firefly Run (Run/Walk)

2014 - ??

My 6 year old ran in the Gritty Kids Mud Run and I couldn't keep up. LOL

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    100. Jun 25, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

My 10 yo daughter and I finished W4D2 yesterday morning.  It was tough but I 100% blame the wine I had on Saturday night.  Lesson learned.  I'm excited to finish W4 tomorrow.  We're getting manicures to celebrate our accomplishments. 

• EMTTrix Pro 60 posts since
    May 20, 2012
    101. Jun 25, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to mb923)
    June C25K Starters

mb923: Great job, keep up the good work!  What an awesome way to reward yourself too!  I usually opt for a pedicure post race, spa style so my feet get massaged!  I didnt get to go get one after Saturday's race, but rewarded myself with a well deserved mid day nap! lol =)

Weight Loss 32 lbs loss to date (since 01/2012)

5k Races 2011

Chicago Monster Dash 10/29/2011 - 53:10

5k Races 2012

Chicago Polar Dash 1/21/2012 - 49:00

Hartland Healthy Life 5/19/2012 - 43:08

Summerfest Rock 'n Sole 6/23/2012 - 39:56 PR

Run with Wolfes 9/16/2012 -

Susan G. Komen 9/23/2012 -

Chicago Monster Dash 10/21/2012 -

7k-10k Races 2012

Chicago Get Lucky 3/18/2012 - 1:01:36

Obstacles/Mud Runs 2012

Dirty Girl Mud Run (WI) - 8/19/2012

Keep on keepin' on!

• mb923 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    102. Jun 25, 2012 8:34 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Thanks.  Our "incentive plan" was set up to keep my daughter motivated and it's definitely working.  My incentive is setting a good example for her.  I really think if I was doing this with anyone else, I would have been tempted to walk a few of the runs. But I know if I quit, she quits.  I'm not setting any speed records but I'm getting it done!

• mom2katon Amateur 13 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    103. Jun 25, 2012 6:56 PM (in response to GeoWolf)
    June C25K Starters

Thanks GeoWolf!  I ended up completeing W4D4 today -- I repeated my last day, extending W4, and conquered it!!!  Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I ended up slowing down and actually coming inside on the treadmill since it is so hot outside -- but I did it and it was a great feeling of accomplishment.

• KristiRPhTX Amateur 12 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    104. Jun 26, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to Bauer05)
    June C25K Starters

Completed W4D1  this morning. Ran at 6 to try to beat the heat here in south Texas and it was still 82 and humid. YUK!  The first 3 running segments were okay, but I was really lagging on the last one. BUT I ran/jogged the entire 5 minutes. I was a hot, sweaty mess when I was done, but I DID IT!  And my left heel didn't hurt at all...first time since I restarted this whole thing. YAY!  Feeling better and better everyday about my running.

Kristi

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...