Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

961 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2004 7:40 PM by swedechick
Ucal Amateur 28 posts since
Feb 8, 2004
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2004 7:28 PM

pre-race warmup

I'm just wondering what do some of you do as a warmup before your race, and how long before your race you do it.

--

<br />&lt;-I'm going to try to work it out so in the end it will be a pure guts race, and if it is I am the only one that can win---&gt;

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 10, 2004 7:38 PM (in response to Ucal)
    Re: pre-race warmup

Depends on what distance you're racing.

For me, the shorter the race (ie, the faster I'm going right off the bat), the longer the warm-up. I'd probably warm-up for an hour before a 5k, though a lot of that is just walking around and light running, with maybe a total of 5-10 minutes of fairly quick bursts and other harder stuff to make sure I'm really ready to go.

For a marathon, I don't do much more than walk to the start line and massage my legs. (I'm sure faster runners do more warm-ups before a marathon, most mid-packers use the first mile as a warm up)

Probably also depends on weather -- if it's cold, you'll need longer to really warm up and there's less risk of dehydration as a result of the warm-up.

All of that having been said, some of the best warm up plans run afoul of porta potty realities and other logistics of finding the right place in line, etc.  Better to leave yourself a little extra time, especially in a big race.

2. Apr 11, 2004 12:15 AM (in response to Ucal)

to be honest i leave myself no time between my warm up and my race i mean i run for about 30 minutes before my race stretch for 5 minutes and then get to the starting line late for my 2 mile. My coaches philosophy, as many other may be, is to be sweating when your on the line form your warm up. and this has worked great for me so you may want to give it a try. What event(s) do you do?

----

Dan Darcy

4. Apr 11, 2004 10:07 PM (in response to Ucal)

I usually jog a lap or two, listening to music...tryin to find that "zone". Then I usually sit down and stretch and sing along, getting especially loud when the song gets good...you know, just relaxing. Then when I'm good and stretched, I usually do some drills...not like lunges or anything, but stuff like high knees, butt kicks, a-skips...stuff to get those fast twitch muscles movin. Then as I'm waiting to get on the line I jog in place or stretch some more. I usually take like 20 mins to warm up total, I guess. Btw, I run the 200, 400, 800, and all the relays pretty much. When I used to run xc, I did everything afore mentioned, just not the drills, I didn't notice any fast-twitch muscle use in my pathetic attempt at running xc...lol. I'm definately more of a sprinter. Good luck at finding your own routine, etc.

----

~ pAiN iS tHe FeEliNg Of WeAkNeSs LeAvInG mY bOdY ~

« RuN, rUn, RuN... i WiN! «

&#9578;&#0124; bRiEa &#0124;&#9578;

5. May 1, 2004 6:40 PM (in response to Ucal)

i truthfully dont really warmup occassionally i will strech a little but even without warming up i had never hurt my self until thursday when i hurt my shoulder i dont know what it is but it hurt like hell when i finished the race it really doesnt bother me unless i am running for a little while though

6. May 2, 2004 7:18 PM (in response to Ucal)

I start 40-45 minutes before my race with a 20 minute warm up then about 10 minutes of stretching and then 8 strides right before the race.  I use this for the 800, mile, 2 mile, and 5K.

7. May 2, 2004 8:57 PM (in response to Ucal)

thats almost exactly what i do mohixc, it's the best way to warm up in my opinon

----

"If you can't win, make the guy ahead of you break the record."

8. May 7, 2004 1:26 PM (in response to Ucal)

For my college we NEVER EVER strech before races. That is stupid stuff that high schoolers do. We only strech after races when our legs are very warm and strech. They strech better then. For warmup (I run anywhere from 800 to 8k in xc) We have a bunch of drills, skips and other things we do. If mostly active streching. Then 20min. hard warm up run gets our legs going and that it. 20 min cool down after races as well of course.

9. May 8, 2004 9:59 AM (in response to Ucal)

Not to get off topic or anything, but I am interested in the charge "Waterboys 4life" made in that "stretching" before races is only ,"...stupid stuff that high schoolers do." Obviously your college coach has given you this philosophy. Could you explain the reasoning behind this philosophy when multitudes of succesful coaches, athletes, and doctors (Coe, Daniels...just to name a few) all reccomend stretching before a competition? I am interested to know as to what makes you feel so strongly about this approach.

And back on topic. My warmups depend greatly on the distance being raced. In CC I do a few minutes of very light jogging and then proceed with a few stretches. During Track when I race the 4x4 and 800m and mile, I ususally jog an 800m, do some drills, and then proceed with stretching. I start this about 25-30min before the race and then finish about 5-10min before the race actually begins. During this period before the race starts I do some quick strides (about 30-50m) and shake out my upper and lower legs. Once I get on the track I do one quick start (for about 20m) and then I am ready to race.

--Kyle

11. May 8, 2004 1:51 PM (in response to Ucal)

Hmm, interesting. But 15% of what? Speed? Power? Endurance? The way I'm reading it it would seem to me like it is taking away 15% muscle mass and I am sure that that is not the case. Also, would you happen to know of any studies/comparisons on the net between active stretching and normal stretching? And also would the elimination of normal strecthing also include before a workout or only pre-race?

• swedechick Legend 1,194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    12. May 10, 2004 7:40 PM (in response to Ucal)

quote:

Originally posted by Ucal:

I'm just wondering what do some of you do as a warmup before your race, and how long before your race you do it.

we start warming up an hour before the race. we jog a mile as soon as we get to the meet but then right before the race, we do a "progressive warmup" on lap @ xc pace, one @ 1500 pace, one @ 800 pace and a 4th lap @ 400 pace on the curves and jogging the straight part of the track.
    then we do drills, stretch each other and do a few strideouts.

----

Lil Tosh

that is me in the backround in the maroon uniform[/URL" target="_blank">

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...