Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

731 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 2:49 PM by AnaheimHillRunner RSS
AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
Jan 4, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2012 11:54 AM

Anyone with experience running in USATF Masters track meets?

I am thinking of entering the Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships. However, I am just an average runner, and maybe even below average. (20:55 5K is my best time this year.)

I contacted the SCA USATF Masters meet coordinator, and he said there is no minimum standard to enter the competition. However, in looking at some of the times that many USATF members are running (17:00s and 16:00s are pretty common, with the top runners in the 15:00s), I am thinking I don't belong on the same track with these guys.

I am thinking of running in the race just for the heck of it, even if it means being lapped three or four times.

Anyone with any experience in running in USATF sanctioned meets, and care to share about it? Was there a wide range of levels of ability in the competition?

Thanks.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
  • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
  • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
  • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
  • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
  • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
  • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

Interesting topic - I've not actually done any, but have looked at race results just to see what I would be up against.  It seems that the rep was steering you proper, in that while there were very finely tuned old folks in this competition circuit, there were some real outlyers as well.  I think I decided they were just as interested in collecting your money as much as they were your personal ability, if not more.  Having decided I was gonna get skunked, well, I could do that in any local race for a whole lot cheaper, as I recall, so didn't pursue it further.  At this age, though, my recollection could be failing me, you understand.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points