Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

782 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2012 5:52 AM by BOSNPM RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2012 6:17 PM

My real madness has kicked in post marathon.

Ok, so I thought tapering before a marathon would drive me insane, which it kind of did, but I think my mental state has hit a new level of craziness since I am in "recovery" mode.

I'm following Hal Higdons one month recovery plan. The mileage is super low...about 14 miles a week that slightly increases.

The only reason I am following this and not straying to do more is because I have some nagging knee pain that kicks in after running a couple miles.

I am doing a 10k with some friends on Sunday. Still not sure if I'll actually race it or just fun run.

I am seriously itching to get back into a serious training plan!!!!! Is it normal 2 weeks post marathon to still have some issues like my right knee? I am hoping that by the end of this months recovery I'll be ready to start a new adventure!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,372 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 9, 2012 6:13 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

It's certainly possible, and that's one reason you need a good recovery plan.  Figure out what's going on with your knee and work on healing.  That doesn't mean you can't run, but you don't want it hanging around either.  Maybe a sleeve or a knee strap ("Cho-pat" strap) will help.  Or strengthening exercises.  (Or new shoes!)

Len

Len

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Jun 10, 2012 1:25 PM (in response to VeggieChick81)

I think it is common to have lingering issues (some physical, some mental or a likely combination).  I would say get back into your regular training routine as quickly as possible after following up with the potential knee injury.  Recovery mode is dangerous because it sometimes produces a situation of "catch-up" training later that most of us hate to back-track through, so your frustations are certainly normal.  Really, tapering and recovery plans are similiar, but they should be highly individualized.  Do what you feel comfortable with accomplishing at your own pace because even the greatest plans might best be viewed as generic guidelines. 

Wishing you every success. 

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Jun 11, 2012 5:52 AM (in response to Jasko123)

Everyone as well as every marathon is different!  After all my marathons I do get the blues for a few weeks but then it's back to normal.  The knee may be nothing but as Len stated you need to get it healed or it will become a issue for you latter.  It is always best to start a new cycle completely healthy. Words I need to live by!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...