Skip navigation

905 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2012 1:30 PM by lenzlaw
JimLord0 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 12, 2012 8:10 AM

Marathon training program question

I start training beginning of July for my 1st Marathon.  Looking for a good program to follow to not only get me to the finish line but to also try and help a female friend qualify for Boston (3:45).  I just finished a 103 mile month in May.  Scaling it back a bit before July gets here.  I work nights and watch my kids during the morning hours of the summer till my wife gets them.  I have been running for a long time now and have 2 1/2's coming up these next few months as well.  My Half times are around 1:39-1:47.  Any thoughts out there as what would work for me?  Again, I don't want to just show up and finish, I want to have pride in my run and finish.  

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Jun 12, 2012 8:53 AM (in response to JimLord0)
    Marathon training program question

Some more information is really needed.

Being your first marathon and having not been through the training cycle before I am not sure you are going to be much help during the race to help your friend qualify for Boston.

And I think some of the recent marathon finishers around here might take issue with your definition of "pride". Being your first marathon you clearly do not understand that you do not just show up and finish a marathon.

There are runners of all abilities and varying amounts of experience here --- and any marathon finished is something to take pride it.

There are some good free on-line plans. Google marathon training plan and you should find what you are looking for

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,400 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jun 12, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to JimLord0)
    Re: Marathon training program question

I think what skypilot is trying to say is that until you've completed a marathon, you just have no idea.  For instance, you'll be hitting 40-mile-plus weeks as you ramp up, so a 105 mile month is on the low side.  Your best half marathon times project to maybe a 3:35, given good training and near ideal conditions (50 degrees, light wind, no rain, flat course).  Your slower times put you around 4 hours.  Again, that assumes that everything goes right, with you as well as conditions.  If you want to help your friend your best bet may be to pace her for the first 13 to maybe 18 miles.  Train hard and see what you can do.

Look at www.halhigdon.com for some training plans/ideas.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points