Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1055 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2012 9:59 PM by MarcusB092
ShoeGoo Amateur 20 posts since
May 23, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 14, 2012 10:17 AM

Effort vs. intensity in 8 mile run

Today I ran an 8 mile run, it was a little above steady state for the most part, what I noticed, and this has happened several times before, is around mile 5, my heart rate drops a little and it seems easier to carry the same pace, sometimes the pace will even pick up a little. I thought earlier this year, it was just getting warmed up after the first mile or two or three, but now that it's hot out, I can really notice the change, and it's later in the run.

What's going on here?

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jun 14, 2012 11:54 AM (in response to ShoeGoo)

I am not sure but for me a lot of the time after I reach the 1/2 point it get easier I think my mine just lets up! 

• ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    2. Jun 15, 2012 12:46 AM (in response to ShoeGoo)

ShoeGoo wrote:

Today I ran an 8 mile run, it was a little above steady state for the most part, what I noticed, and this has happened several times before, is around mile 5, my heart rate drops a little and it seems easier to carry the same pace, sometimes the pace will even pick up a little. I thought earlier this year, it was just getting warmed up after the first mile or two or three, but now that it's hot out, I can really notice the change, and it's later in the run.

What's going on here?

Many many possible factors here (wheather, time of day, diet,...) . I would say most likely it's a psicological reaction to certain body signs. In my case, I used to experience a similar effect but reversed, from mile three to mile four it was difficult to keep the same pace, It was not that I could'nt but I would just struggle a bit. I used to think that this happened because there was a short slightly uphill part or because of the wind that usually hits frontally there, but I started changing course and the same happened.

In the end, I have learned that my body has some peaks and drops in performance, so I do not worry too much, some days it is really easy to keep a high pace and some others it is dnot. Even in the same run I can feel really tired in mile 3 and still finish 11-12 miles with a good time and feeling strong in the end.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    4. Jul 7, 2012 9:59 PM (in response to ShoeGoo)

IF this helps you sometimes I would start running faster after  even 45 minutes in really long runs. Of course I couldn't be still warming up that long could I? That happened to me here and there all the time when i used to be in good shape. It just means your engine is still getting fired up and that is a good sign. Just as you don't overtrain or run in direct July sunlight you will be fine dont worry about it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points