Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1371 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 11:24 AM by BlackHillsMom RSS
sapphiregal Expert 59 posts since
May 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 19, 2012 10:55 PM

How to break my repeated minutes at 5K???

I have been doing Insanity and thought that it would help speed up my time but nope apparently not yet. The last 3 of my 5K races I finish at 33 minutes (34:09, 33:19, 33:05) I improved every time but just a tad bit. I want to get it under 33 minutes... HOW??? I have completed c25k program and am on 7th week of Insanity. I am doing 5K races once or twice a month. My current goal is to get in a nice shape and to run faster at least 25 minutes at 5K and near future to run 10K. So what program should I try? or anything else I should try?? HELP!! Thanks!

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jun 20, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to sapphiregal)

I would say take a look at your cross-training and your long run schedule.  The right combination will assist with improving speed.  Working in additional interval training may also be of assistance.  I am not sure about recommending a particular program because there are so many and everyone is different.  Overall strength and endurance will make a difference with increasing your pace.  (I know that sounds generic, but again, different things work better for certain people).  For example, weight-lifting, swimming, biking are usually good cross-training options. 

The other thing that might help is to evaluate your training route and/or routine.  If possible, consider locating a difficult training course or maybe try adding two sessions (same day) to get in a few extra miles. 

Hope this helps and keeping entering the races...most events are wonderful opportunities to promote continued progress.  Wishing you all the best!

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jun 21, 2012 10:45 PM (in response to sapphiregal)

It sounds like you're ready for an intermediate 5K training plan. There are a number of them on the web; most of them include a combination of a weekly long run plus mid-week speedwork. You can go with a formal plan or modify it as you wish. If you prefer less structure, you can pick and choose your speed workouts: for example, tempo runs, fartlek, or interval training; they all have different purposes but they will all help to increase your speed. If you have hills nearby, hill training canl also significantly increase your leg strength, which in turn builds speed.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• squilky Pro 91 posts since
    Jul 18, 2007
    3. Jul 24, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to sapphiregal)

Im trying to do the same thing. I ran my first 5K last fall and I finished under 30 minutes, which I was thrilled about. I ran a 2nd 5k on New Years and my time was actually slower, but the course was very hilly and a mix of trail and road. I started looking into how to get faster, and there is no one way to do this. It seems like the best approach is mixing your runs up. I try to run 4 days a week. 1 day (usually on the weekend), is my long run. Believe it or not, building a strong base, and being able to run further, will eventually lead to you running short distances faster. 2 days I do a 5k run at a nice easy pace. If you run aggresively and try to give 110% every time you run, your body will break down and you will run slower over time. These 5k runs should be done at a nice easy pace. Just get the miles "under your belt", and don't worry about how fast you can run them. The 4th day, do some speed work. I've been doing 6 X 400 meter repeats. So I do a nice 1/2 mile or so warmup at an easy pace. Then I do my first 400 meter interval. Don't go all out, but run it faster than you run now. If your goal is to run a 5k in 25 minutes, that is roughly an 8 minute mile. So try running those 400 meter intervals at that pace. It will get your body used to the idea of running harder, but for a short period of time. Once you hit 400 meters (1/4 mile), slow down and run another 400 meters at an easy pace. I try not to walk, but sometimes by the 4th or 5th interval I need to walk to catch my breath and get my heartrate down. Repeat this 5 more times, and then cool down with a 1/2 mile to mile run at an easy pace. Once you find that the 6 X 400 is getting easy, you can either increase the number of intervals you do (8 X 400, 10 X 400 etc), or you can increase the distance of the interval (4 X 800, 6 X 800) etc. As you build more endurance, keeping increasing to 1200 meter repeats and even mile repeats. Also, slowly build up the distance of your long runs. The first few weeks, try a 4 or 5 mile long run. Then 6 miles for a few weeks, then 7, then 8. Once you are able to run for over an hour at an easy pace, running moderately hard for 5k distance will seem easier.

One last thing. Something I have trouble with is going out to strong. I do my first mile in 8:30, and then I am so gassed by mile 3, that I slow down to a 10 minute per mile pace. Try doing reverse splits. Run your first mile nice and easy. Start out at an easy pace of 11:00 per mile or whatever is easy for you. Then speed up a little in the 2nd mile. Nothing too crazy, somewhere around 15-30 seconds faster than your first mile, and do the same for the last mile. This does two things. It helps you conserve your energy, and it teaches you to finish strong. You'll be able to sprint to the finish line because you have fuel left in the tank.

Don't expect miracles. People than can run 25 minute 5k's have likely been running for a while. A 25 minute 5k sounds rather aggresive. Maybe focus on getting under 30 minutes first, and chip away slowly till you reach your goal.

Good luck!

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Jul 24, 2012 11:08 AM (in response to squilky)
    Re: How to break my repeated minutes at 5K???

Insanity is not the way to get faster, more running is the answer!   Some of it run at a pace you are not comfortable with.

• BlackHillsMom Amateur 26 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    5. Jul 26, 2012 11:24 AM (in response to sapphiregal)

I agree that a 25 minute 5K is a very aggressive goal for a new runner. Think about it...you are running just under an 11-min mile right now, and you are talking about taking 8 minutes off you current time...that's almost 3-min per mile!! Even though th improvements in time seem small, you DID improve every time!! Just stick with it and celebrate your successes, no matter how small they seem. If you keep working at it, maybe the 25 minutes would be a good goal for next summer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...