Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1156 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 4:04 PM by Jasko123 RSS
j9blair2 Expert 40 posts since
May 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 20, 2012 3:02 PM

Blisters

I'm so squeemish it's hard for me to even ask this.  Both of my 2nd toes have been funny the last several days (starting with my long run Saturday).  At first it looked like it was due to extra dry skin, so I've been putting lotion on them.  But today I accidentally popped a blister on one of them trying to examine it.  It looks like part of the blister was under the nail (not a blood blister, just looks like it's causing pressure).  It doesn't look like there is a visible blister on the other one, but it also looks like there is pressure under the nail.

Here's the sad part.  I'm running a Half marathon on Sunday.  I can live with it - it's not painful.  But is there anything I can do to speed the healing process before the race or what I can do (bandage, etc) for the race?

I'm honestly considering not doing anything at all since I don't want it to feel strange (with a bandage) while I'm racing.  When I first started running I learned the hard way about clipping toenails and was able to run through that pain and ended up with a bloody sock.  Is that the kind of pain/result that I will end up with?  Or should I see a doctor?

Jeanine

Started C25K: 4/28/11

Proud to Run 5k: 6/25/11 ~42:36

Chicago Women's Half Marathon: 6/24/12 ~2:49:59

Chicago Fleet Feet Super Sprint Triathlon: 8/24/12 ~1:11:28

Hot Chocolate 15k Chicago: 11/04/12 ~2:10:48

Commitment Day Chicago: 1/1/13 ~not timed

Soldier Field 10 Mile: 5/25/13 ~2:17:06

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Jun 20, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to j9blair2)
    Blisters

I've been pretty successful with a tightly wrapped band-aid, though a half-marathon is about the upper limit on distance.  Above that it starts to come off no matter what you do.  Most of the other bandages you can get are designed for blister prevention, and shouldn't be used on an active blister (pulling the bandage off pulls the cap off the blister).  Depending on how you feel about your shoes, you could cut a hole in the upper over the affected toe.

Otherwise, it sounds like you need to go up half a size on your shoes.  Maybe.  (Should have a thumb-nail width between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.)  I have a consistent (though not bad) problem with the 2nd toe on both feet.  I finally concluded that the 2nd toe tends to bump against the big toe.  Wearing toe socks helps minimize the problem (Injinji is one brand)..

Len

Len

• ksubing Rookie 1 posts since
    May 11, 2012
    2. Jul 10, 2012 1:02 PM (in response to j9blair2)
    Re: Blisters

Take a look at using some aloe to help speed things up [1] & [2].  I am a natural runner so I tend to run barefoot or in Vibram's, so I also second lenzlaw's idea of using toe socks to help prevent blisters on and between the toes.

Good luck in your race!

[1] http://naturalfamilytoday.com/health/treating-blisters-with-aloe-vera/

[2] http://www.aloeplant.info/blisters-be-gone-the-healing-power-of-aloe-vera/

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Jul 10, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to j9blair2)
    Blisters

Invest in the speciality running socks also...make sure they Teflon, CoolMax or some other synthetic fiber..you may have to double up for longer distances. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points