Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

13750 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 4:45 PM by newt_cyclist
DaveMichael35 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 22, 2012 4:51 PM

Sette Bikes

Does anyone know anything about Sette Bikes?

• Ridester Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    1. Jun 26, 2012 11:15 PM (in response to DaveMichael35)
    Re: Sette Bikes

Hey DaveMichael35,

You may have seen this Bicycling Magazine from a 2011 review of the Sette Forza road bike:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/2011-sette-forza-review 

Final summary, the reviewer says: "Still, this isn’t a bike for image driven riders. Instead, anyone who prioritizes value and getting the biggest bang for the buck would happily speed over thousands of miles on the Forza."

They've got their own website, too: http://www.settebikes.com/home.html.  (And, you've probably already visited there.)  I was tempted to get a Sette frame, but I found another no-name frame on sale.  Can't say that the Sette brand didn't cross my mind.  Budget was the final factor. 

If I had the money, I might be tempted to spend several grand on a high-end-big-name bike.  A lot of cyclists ride these beauties in my area and I'm occasionally envious.  Alas, my bank account and Mrs. Ridester says, "Maybe when you win the Lotto, buy whatever your heart desires...maybe."  Is it safe to assume that since you're asking about Sette and not Pinerallo or Merlin that you have some budget restrictions?

In the end, you--the blood-pumping, granola and banana munching engine--losing a few pounds of fat and gaining a few pounds of muscle, and keeping a well maintained drivetrain on whatever you ride will make the greatest difference.  It won't carry the bling factor, but who cares if you're hammering riders left and right.  The satisfaction of getting there ahead of someone else is still there.  I would admire your glistening sinewy calves and drumstick thighs over the carbon frame of which I can't read the name anyways.

IMHO, whatever you end up buying, ride it safely and enjoy it to the max.

El Ridester

PS - I will expect to get shredded by someone with the "you get what you pay for" argument.

• Noossab Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    2. Nov 19, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to DaveMichael35)
    Sette Bikes

I agree with Ridester and I own two Sette framed bikes.  I bought two Razzo 29er frames for mountain biking; one is aluminum, one is carbon.  I used the first for a SS rigid mountain bike and I have no complaints at all.  I turned the carbon frame into an ultra light hard tail with high end components.  It weighs in at 23 pounds and is a climbing monster.  Both frames have held up perfectly under heavy use.  You cannot beat the value of Sette products even if the name is fairly easy to pronounce.

Noossab

• newt_cyclist Rookie 1 posts since
    May 26, 2008
    3. Mar 27, 2013 4:45 PM (in response to DaveMichael35)
    Sette Bikes

I purchased the Sette Serum Pro XT.  Last fall, I had a fall.  I'm a 56 year old fart so I don't ride hard.  Was going about 2 mph up a trail, lost my line and simply fell over sideways.  The bike landed on it's side, like me.  Got up and realized that that 'stylized' seat stay (that curves out) took the brunt of the fall and cracked.  First fall on a relatively new bike (only about a dozen rides on it).  I also have a Trek OCLV and over the past 8 years w/ it have fallen HARD in places like Moab, White Tanks in Phoenix, Crested Butte, Phil's World in Cortez, Canada, NM, ALL over.  Anyway - only scratches on the OCLV, never a crack.  This bike, one fall and it's toast.  I tried posting a review on their site, was polite about it, but they've never posted it.  Guess they don't like negative press.  The old adage of 'you get what you pay for' is true in this case. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...