Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1725 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 9:01 PM by Billsr RSS
chefn Amateur 11 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 30, 2012 2:55 PM

Running pace not as good as in the past...what am I doing wrong?

I have been running 5ks for about 12 years and half marathons for about 5 years.  All of a sudden, in April and June of this year, my pace is way off. I do run during the winter, but not really on a training plan. I ran a 4k race in February and tried to run at least once or twice a week. Now, I usually pick up my training to get ready for races in July through October. However, I just ran a race in June with about 4-5 minutes over my normal time for a 5K!  Also, this past week, I attempted a 5k in Missouri (very hot) and for the first time, I felt I needed to walk and run! I did not have a major health change, no major weight gain, or anything else I can attribute this to. I just don't feel the way I used to when running. I used to not run at all in the winter and then pick up in the spring and still did not have this kind of change in pace. My goal is for a sub 10 min mile as this is where I was last year. I am no where near this now.  Should I just focus on long runs and speed work to get me back to where I should be or is  my body telling me something?  I am a female and 47 yrs old, but that really should not mean anything different. I was running my PRs last year for my entire life and now running slower than ever. Any help would be much appreciated. My current plan is adapted from Art Lieberman which has worked great getting me ready every year- Run 4xs a week with my long run on a Sunday.  I do speed work when I can on one of these days, as well as choosing long runs with hills.  Thanks

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

Interesting take.  Nothing has changed?  I've got news for you - something's changed.  You're 47, and on the road to 48 and beyond.  I'm 48.  I'm not saying you can't ever PR again, but at some point, your ability to PR based on your more youthful years isn't going to be there for you.  I compete on the local circuit, and I see it all around me.  Not everyone is the same, but certainly those folks past 45 slow down and it is pretty much year over year.  Happens to the best of us.  I'm a great admirer of a fellow around here who was All American in his youth, and has continued to run in the 17's even as he has reached 50.  This year, 52, and he is struggling to get below 18.

Don't be discouraged.  But, you must realize things will change.  I am recovering from a foot injury, and am determined to show my 5K PR set last year wasn't my last.  Only time will tell.

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009

nowirun4fun- I have a little different take.  I'm looking at your numbers and they are really good. Near elite good for your age. I agree tough to maintain THAT level as you get older. You are operating at the top of the curve and there is not really much room for improvement past the point your at. The majority of us runners operate further down the curve. I'm 51 for example and my PR is a 21:03  I have whittled it down from a 25:04 three years ago.  What is my ceiling on a PR ? I have no idea , but I think I have a number of years to find out.  Chefin is operating @ a 10 minute pace at age 47 slowing from past years. Whatever is slowing her down I'm sure can be corrected and improved on as there is room to improve. All I'm saying is relative to age the top runners will regress quicker.

-Bill

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010

Yo Bill - I agree with you 100%.  When I reignited my running career several years back, I knew there were basically two curves in play.  My PR potential for any given age, and my current physical condition which had to have been below that potential when I began.  Right, so we know by training I can improve conditioning in hopes of reaching that potential, but at some point age potential is going to take over.  I surely am much closer to potential than I was when I started, and quite possibly have reached it.

As for Chefin, I took a bit of an assumption that she had been doing this for several years and had considered she was at some level close to potential and wanted to get back to that.  Of course, everyone's potential is limited by their ability to push their own pain/comfort envelope so to speak.  She has to learn what that level is for herself.  I'm just pointing out, all things considered equal, age will take its toll, it has to.  And, overtime that potential is going to slip away.  It is inevitable, despite what my 'science is soon going to help me to live forever friends' seem to think.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I think you both are right, one thing for sure for us masters is you had better be consistent or you will never gain anything.    I think running more consistent will help you a ton, you don't have to race in the winter but you still need to train.  And as we keep getting older this becomes ever more important.  Loose it a lot faster than you gain it!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Diet, heat, humidity any number of factors, 90 degrees and humid that could be it!  One race/day is not a trend!  Good luck

May 23, 2009

Chefn:

I am curious. Do you do a regular exercise workout along with your running?  Your problem might be that you need to develop your core a little more to increase your stamina. I agree with BOSNPM that any number of factors could have adversly effected your race.

-Bill

May 23, 2009

Chefn:

I do basic situps and pushups along with stretches and balance training. I started out doing 4or 5 a day and now do 50 pushups and 100 situps. Build up slowly. I kind of created my own workout routine but I'm sure there are many available on the internet.-Bill

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points