Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1509 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2012 4:39 PM by whattamisaid RSS
whattamisaid Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 3, 2012 9:04 AM

Okay to run everyday now?

I am a 42-year-old woman who has just completed the C25K program. (Yay, me!) Much to my surprise I enjoy this running thing and I'd like to do it more often than three times a week. So, I have a question for more seasoned runners: Now that I've conditioned myself a bit, is it okay to run every day? Until now, I had been running three times a week, always with a day in between. In my zeal, I'd hate to overdo things. I should add that my intention is to do the One-Hour Runner program next. Perhaps I should increase my days slowly, starting with four days a week first.

Advice?

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Jul 3, 2012 9:34 AM (in response to whattamisaid)
    Re: Okay to run everyday now?

A general guideline is to follow the 10% rule.  It's not overly complicated, just says increase your weekly mileage by *up to* 10%.  Actually, I think the truth is no more than 10% in mileage or effort expended.  So, you don't want to bump your mileage and increase your pace by 10% on the same week for example.

I've actually recently started my variation of this program exactly-trying to stick to a 10% increase each week.  I started by running daily, with a workout of 3 1/2 mile intervals with 1/10 mile walk in-between.  1 1/2 miles a day?  Lol, now, at the beginning that seemed like such a joke.  However, with the way math works out, and a great amount of patience to stick to the program I'm up to 3X .89 mile intervals.  Still most runners would think that is wuss territory.  However, the math puts me at 90 miles a week by October.  Now, I doubt if I'll be able to swing 90 miles a week, but the principle seems to be working for me at the moment.

So, by adopting such an approach as silly as it seems, you'll be increasing your conditioning, and giving your body time to adjust to each new increase.  If you can't handle it, then you must listen and back off.  It's the backing off to me that's the key.  Every two weeks I'll take a day break from the run.  I may have to increase that at some point.  Also, as time goes on, 10% gets much bigger, and I may have to adjust that down.

Only you can figure out by  trial and error what your body can tolerate.  Hopefully the 10% rule helps to keep the errors to a minimum.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Jul 3, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    Re: Okay to run everyday now?

10% rule is a great gauge.  I would add 1 more day for a while then maybe another and see how things go both physically and mentally.  It would be wise to start adding some core and lower back work also, they are very important to your running.  Don't get in a hurray running should be a lifetime goal not a short one, and those that do to much to soon end up with overuse injury or get burned out.  Good luck and great job.

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    3. Jul 3, 2012 10:07 AM (in response to whattamisaid)

No It is not ok yet. That is for faster and higher milage runners to run "every day" which means almost every day. When you get faster and build your milage to over 30 a week then start to consider running 7 days a week  on some weeks.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    4. Jul 3, 2012 2:53 PM (in response to whattamisaid)

I'm going to go not too far out on a limb and disagree with the tone of the last Marcus reply.

No is not advice, and classifying running everyday as an activity that can be reserved for runners who've reached some right milestone I disagree with.

Running is a journey to be discovered individually.  There is no one size fits all plan and no single path to success.

If you desire to run everyday, then it is up to you to discover if you can.

Bosnpm and I have given you some general principles by which you can proceed and discover if you can run everyday.

No, I wouldn't start running everyday today.  But, take it slow and gradually increase and I suspect you could be running everyday before you know it.

Maybe everyday is 1/2 a mile a day.

Is that okay with you?  How would I know.  How would Marcus know?

We can't.  Only you can and it is up to you if you desire to do it to figure out how best to get there.

One thing I know is if I listened to everyone who told me what I can't and shouldn't do, I'd have never got where I got over the past few years.

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    5. Jul 3, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

I gave advice. You guys gave riddles and stuff that is hard to understand. Now that you are running under a 19 minute 5k the type of training you do is not the same as a begginning/ intermediate runner.

The 10% rule? WTf is the 10% rule? Its the 5% rule not the 10% rule you are giving horrible advice to confuse people So with the 10% rule you can go from 20 miles a week to 40 miles per week in 10 weeks and maintain that?? Haha that is crazy man. It took me a long long time to run 40 miles per week most of my teenage years. I already ran 5 minute mile way way before i could do 40 mile a week to week.

Even if you increase 5%  a week you can only increase that much temporarily.

Wait ill show you something on  your 10% theory

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    6. Jul 3, 2012 7:15 PM (in response to MarcusB092)

The 20 miles/week to 40 miles/week during a 10 week period is a realistic goal for a person entering a training plan for a marathon. So it is feasible.

And among those around here who run higher mileage no one, I can safely say, advocated running 7 days a week. In fact, the opposite is true.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points