Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

494 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 11:27 AM by WMKH RSS
WMKH Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2012 11:27 AM

Suggestions for altering/sub in a plan

Here is what I do on a weekly basis....MWTh runs with long run on Saturday.  I have done 5 half marathons and regularly (for months and months) run about 25 miles a week. I am following a training plan and do my weight training on Tu/F with Sunday as a complete rest day.  Not only are we going to have the heat (as most people are dealing with) looks like rain all Saturday morning.  Sunday looks better for the long run - a bit cooler and no rain.  Since just in the past few I started my first full marathon training plan so I have been conquering some new long runs...coming up on 17 this weekend.  Normally I know it's not a big deal to miss a short run but since I am also increasing my weekly total mileage I'm nervous about veering too much. 

Experienced runners- I am just looking for the best options on changing up my schedule.  If I go long on Sunday...should I move the 4 mile from Monday to Saturday so I still get a complete rest day after my long run?  Should I take the rest day on Saturday and then still try to do 4 on Monday even after going long on Sunday?  Do someother type of workout on Saturday, long run Sunday, rest Monday and just skip the 4 miles or add part of those 4 on Tues with weight training and/or the Thursday short run?

Just wondering what any of you have done before and I'm in new territory- certainly don't want to be doing new long mileage and then 'over do' it somehow.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points