Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2587 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 10:41 AM by MonsoonMama RSS
MountainRunner48 Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2012 10:34 AM

Hip flexor Injury advice

I began my training a couple months ago. But, I think I may have hurt my hip flexor on one hip. i got out of the car (of all places) and heard a pop in my hip. I have had sore hips before during pregnancy, but nothing every this sore. I am not sure what to do. I haven't gone to a doctor, the pain isn't that bad. But, it is sore enough that I have stopped running this week, iced it, and taken anti inflamatory to minimize the pain. This seems to have helped slightly. But, I am now mad because I was doing so well with my training for my 1/2 marathon in October. I was up to running 9 miles for my long run and running at least 4 to 6 miles on the other three runs each week.

Does anyone have any advice, experience, or information, regarding this type of injury? I am not one who quits and refuses to let this slow me down. However, I don't want to do futher damage. I want to recover quickly and get on with the training. Thanks for any advice

Happy Running!

Mountain Runner

Run Through Redlands 5K, 28:15, 8th place age group 4/22/12

Run Through the Pines 10K, 58:16, 4th place age group 8/11/12

Long Beach International Half Marathon October 2012

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    1. Jul 6, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to MountainRunner48)
    Hip flexor Injury advice

Lay on your side and raise your leg like a scissor and you will know. You can still run just stay away from hills. That way you can keep your fitness. This usually heals fast.

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Jul 7, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to MountainRunner48)
    Hip flexor Injury advice

I've had issues with them.  Ramping up mileage prior to my recent marathon, they were a real sore spot.  Since restarting my running from a stress fracture in my foot, I've been keen on working on my prior trouble spots routinely.  For hip flexors, that's part of my everyday routine to strengthen them.  In addition to light stretching of them, after my run on my cool down I will do high knee raises for N reps on each leg and the other exercise is to raise an extended leg to about knee height and resist it as you lower back to the ground.  Another series of N reps on each leg.  Gives the neighbors something to talk about-"what the hell is he doing now?".  It has been good to keep them from acting up and I'd recommend if you have issues with them.

• linuscatch Pro 143 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    3. Jul 8, 2012 9:24 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)
    Hip flexor Injury advice

Agree with the other's advice.  I had a hip flexor injury that kept me off my feet for 2 months last year.  Go to runningtimes.com and look up the grant green routine for dynamic stretching.  That, combined with switching to a mid-foot strike has kept me from any repeat.

Good luck!

• johan000 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 21, 2012
    4. Jul 21, 2012 5:33 AM (in response to MountainRunner48)
    Hip flexor Injury advice

I began my training a couple months ago. But, I think I may have hurt my hip flexor on one hip. i got out of the car (of all places) and heard a pop in my hip. I have had sore hips before during pregnancy, but nothing every this sore.

• MonsoonMama Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 8, 2009
    5. Jul 23, 2012 10:41 AM (in response to linuscatch)
    Hip flexor Injury advice

Thanks for this...I've had the same thing in the past and had no idea what the best stretches were. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...