Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1081 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 2:17 AM by Molly229 RSS
Molly229 Amateur 17 posts since
Nov 12, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2012 10:35 AM

Remedies for overall soreness

I'm training for my second Marathon in October. My first one was 6yrs ago. I'm 50 and female. I've been running 12 yrs.

This mornings run was 21.24km, 2:29. I ran at 6 am on an empty stomach but had Sharkies with me which I consumed on the 2nd half of my run as well as water.

When I got home I made a recovery shake, had 2 advil & an epsom salts bath.

I'm so sore and am struggling to do anything more than lie down all day.  I did walk the dog hoping it would loosen the soreness. It didn't.

So, what does everyone do to combat whole body soreness from distance running?

Thanks

Molly229

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jul 8, 2012 1:27 PM (in response to Molly229)

Hi Molly,

It sounds like you have a good structure for your training, and a great deal of experience with recovery, so I apologize if some of my suggestions are overly simplistic or things that you have already explored.   

You and I are around the same age, and I found some benefits from adding vitamins/supplements and natural remedies.  I would say increase vitamins E, C, D, B-complex, Biotin and take the E & C together.  A few days before your scheduled long run, try malic acid and magnesium and maybe increase complex carbs with protein within 30 minutes following an intense route. 

The other thing is to consider replacing ibuprofen with natural herbs that have great anti-inflammatory properties.  Your local health food store should have all the options for things like ginger, devil's claw, willow bark and arnica.  They are all great products (in the right form) and do not have any of the digestive side-effects of OTC medications. 

The only other product I can recommend is Vemma Thirst.  It covers most of the bases of other sports drinks, but includes some special extras. 

The main thing is discovering the right combination for you, but you have a couple of months and I really believe some of these items will make a difference for your muscles and energy levels. 

Congrats on your upcoming marathon and best wishes. 

• Dark-Horse Legend 285 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    2. Jul 8, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to Molly229)

Molly,

Just a few ideas that have helped me.

(1) Get extra sleep when your training is hard. Sometimes after a long hard run on a hot day, I will drink two or three glasses of water and nap for an hour or two (maybe "crash" would be more accurate than "nap").

(2) Drink more water when your training is hard. Not just after the run, but before the run, and all day long. I haven't found that drinking water before a training run gives me cramps.

(3) Ibuprofen.

(4) Ice any local soreness.

(5) You should always be stretching, but I think it's even more important when your work level increases.

Good luck.

Dark Horse

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    3. Jul 8, 2012 5:54 PM (in response to Molly229)

Some days you beat the road, and other days the road beats you.

It sounds to me like the later. Don't worry about it.

• mariaweller Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009
    4. Jul 8, 2012 6:20 PM (in response to Molly229)

1300 mg acetominophen soon following a marathon effort significantly decreased soreness in a very good, double-blind, placebo controlled study done last year.  Stop the advil.  Seems like a good idea but inflammation is actually the body's first stage of healing.  Do I have scientific evidence? Not yet but seems like its only a matter of time before we stop recommending ice and ibuprofen for some things.

I do this acetominophen routine after running marathons and after a long effort if I am doing those overnight relay races and have found it helps me.  But....I would never do anything abusive to my liver while engaging in this routine (ie. drinking alcohol) and I don't ever take acetominophen in other circumstances. Overdose is often fatal but this dose is okay if you don't do it often.

Use a foam roller on any sore muscles.  Try dynamic stretching routine before running (don't do static stretches).  Look on runner's world website if you need some help on static vs dynamic stretching.

Replenish protein after you run.  This won't help with soreness but may help you build muscle which should help in the long run (no pun intended).

And like Dark Horse says...make sure you are adequately hydrating and getting enough electrolytes.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Jul 9, 2012 5:56 PM (in response to Molly229)
    Re: Remedies for overall soreness

I'm curious how well you think the Advil worked for reducing muscle soreness.  I find the best thing for relieving muscle soreness is a long walk, and by long I mean at least a mile.  It's what I do after a marathon and it definitely helps.

Are you following a training plan?  It looks like you're ramping up your long run pretty quickly: 21.24 km to 26 km.  A frequent cause of excessive soreness after a run is going too fast or too far (i.e. faster or farther than your body is ready for).

Mariaweller's comment about hydration is notable.  Hydration needs to be part of your lifestyle when you're putting in the miles.  You can't just save it for before and after your run.  Being (relatively) dehydrated can also play a large role in soreness after a long run.

You can buy a foam roller at almost any sporting goods store - typically about $15 US.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Jul 9, 2012 5:58 PM (in response to mariaweller)
    Re: Remedies for overall soreness

Mariaweller, do you have a citation for that study?  I would like to read it.

Len

Len

Feb 21, 2009
    Feb 21, 2009
    9. Jul 9, 2012 6:34 PM (in response to Molly229)

Foam roller - can buy at amazon.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...