Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

672 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 10, 2012 3:39 PM by Frank_B
Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2012 10:28 AM

Ted Rips Rip

July 9, 1946 - With seven Red Sox teammates on the A.L. squad, Ted Williams stages a power show with two home runs, two singles, a walk, four runs scored, and four RBI to lead the A.L. to a 12-0 win over the N.L. at Fenway Park. The highlight of the All-Star Game is Ted's homer off a Rip Sewell blooper pitch.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 10, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    Ted Rips Rip

Ahhhh, yes---1946---altho I was a Red Sox fan before 1946 as a youngster, listening to their games, with my buddies, via radio (no TV then)  1946 was my, and my friends, first visit to Fenway to see the Yankees, with Joe DiMaggio in center; plus other great Yankees; and the Red Sox, with Ted in left field, and other Red Sox greats;  was the first of many more visits to Fenway for me and my friends. We lived within 5 or 6 miles of Fenway by public transportation---north across the Charles River.

We also got to Braves Field to see the Boston Braves as well. "Snuck in' at that venue a few tines thru a gap in the fence, bordering railroad tracks. We ended up watching the games sitting in the Jury Box; a section of bleachers, technically not within the confines of the field---but, tickets were sold to sit there.

As we got into our later teen years we traveled to Yankee Stadium, three times, to watch the same two teams play.

One of my friends had an older brother with a huge Ford station wagon which got us there and back----the same day.

The Korean "War" broke up that old gang of  ours in 1950.

As for what Lou brought forward---that pitch was also called an Eephus pitch, sometimes spelled Ephus.

Ted later admitted, and pictures showed/proved, he was illegally (in front) out  of the batter's box when he made contact with that pitch.

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...