Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5391 Views 88 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2005 6:28 PM by Guest RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • DHornbeck Rookie 56 posts since
    Feb 22, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Apr 27, 2005 8:49 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: I'm a freshman boy in high school...

At my former high school there was a freshman who posted the fastest time by a freshman at the Michigan State Meet.  His time was 16:13, and he got 6th place in Division III race.  Don't get me wrong, 17:30 is good, but 16:13 is amazing for a freshman.  I was just barely under 16:00 my freshman year in college.

----

About Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• askdlfmsdklf Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 22, 2000
    77. May 30, 2005 4:19 PM (in response to Guest )

You're young so I'm going to give you an honest reply. 17:30 is quite promising for a freshman, but I would try to make sure you don't get too enthusiastic, train too hard, and then burn out. What kind of mileage have you been doing since you started running? You definitely want to start/continue doing lots and lots of long relaxed aerobic running (mileage) over the years for optimal long-term development, and stay away from too much interval work. Right now just start setting goals for yourself for years to come. Try to enjoy the sport of running as much as possible and realize that many PRs are to come as long as you work hard and are patient.

To give you an example of what you don't want to happen, we had a kid at my high school who still holds our school's freshman 800m record of 2:08.9, but he never got any better. Some guys are real talented to begin with, but in the long-run they may not end up doing as well, most likely because they lose interest/motivation near the end of high school OR they hammered too often on the track, OR they get to college and decide they dont want to be a skinny running dork anymore. From my high school class, we probably have about 3-4 graduates running in college right now.

• tinyrunner21 Rookie 10 posts since
    Jul 22, 2005
    86. Jul 23, 2005 11:53 AM (in response to Guest )

that time is pretty good. on my team we had two freshman come in last year that ran sub 17:30. you might want to pick it up a little if you want to compete

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...