Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

852 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2012 11:18 PM by crl8686 RSS
BethanyBrown Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2012 10:38 AM

Is this overtraining?

Hi,

Recently I've started a bit more rigorous training schedule. I LOVE to run and that's the main reason I started doing two a days, because even on days I lift I still want to run and love working out twice in one day, but am I doing too much? My body doesn't really feel over trained, but from what I've read there is a certain point of diminishing returns. How do I know if I am running so much it's hurting my training? And is one VO2Max work out a week enough to really make a difference? Here is a typical schedule for my training. My utlitmate running goal is to be able to run and keep a steady pace between 6 min and 6:30 for various lengths of short races (3k, 5k, 6k) and not go very much higher for longer ones such as 10ks. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Monday: Strength Train, Run about 4 mi

Tuesday: Run 4 mi twice

Wednesday: Strength Train, Run about 4 mi

Thursday: VO2Max training, then Run about 4 mi

Friday: Do to hour long brisk walks

Saturday: 2 long runs about 6 or 7 miles each

Sunday is my day off.

Bethany

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jul 19, 2012 3:10 PM (in response to BethanyBrown)
    Is this overtraining?

Hi Bethany,

I will defer to the experts that are more familiar with formal training plans, but in general, my opinion is that it is positive to structure your workouts for your particular goals and individual improvement.  If your focus is speed for shorter distances, then maybe try to work in some intervals, hill routines to build muscles/endurance and eventually push out the miles on the second route for maximum benefits.  Doing doubles will also help with stamina and create amazing benefits to keep your energy and metalolism going, but frequently they are not recommended due to the increased risk of injury and possible interferance with the overall LR schedule. 

If you are anticipating races, then switch out your schedule, for example:  Remember that Thursday is paramount to Saturday and Friday most influences performance on Sunday, so exhange Saturday and Monday for a Sunday event and reverse Tuesday/Thursday for a Saturday event, as a possible suggestion. 

Sounds like you are doing great and wishing you all the best. 

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    2. Jul 20, 2012 11:18 PM (in response to BethanyBrown)
    Is this overtraining?

Usually overtraining is marked by physical symptoms, which may be either pronounced or subtle; such as unusual fatigue, higher resting heart rate, weakened immune system and a tendency to pick up minor illnesses (particularly colds) or difficulty sleeping. If you have none of those, odds are that you aren't overtraining. Also note that at your pace - 6 to 6.5 min/mi - you are approaching elite level. You may want to consider joining a local running club which specializes in training faster runners.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points