Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

550 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 2:08 AM by ydiez RSS
Runningm0m Rookie 1 posts since
May 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 22, 2012 8:32 PM

Help with a Plan to simultaneously train for a half marathon and olympic tri within 1wk of each other (mid Sept)

I have been training for a sprint tri which is next weekend. I want to continue training for an olympic distance that is Sept 15, and also want  to do a half marathon Sept 22. Anyone have recommendations or suggest a training plan that will work? Am I crazy?

Thanks!

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011

HI,

I have been running half marathons for the last year and have also done a few sprint triathlons. Personally I would not think that the training plan for an Olimpic tri and a HM should be mutually exclusive (I am thinking if you want to finish them both, not if you want to WIN). I do think, however, that you do not have enough rest time between one and the other. In my experience, I need 4 full rest days after a Half marathon, and I guess the rest time for an olimpic Tri should probably be a bit longer than that. In my opinion, you will either have to take it really easy in both events or risk injury. Of course, all this is very hard to tell without knowing your current training load and speciffic expectations for these events. My advice would be to put some time between one event and the other (one month?) in order to get your well deserved rest and be able to adjust your training.

Once said that, my thoughts on how I would train if I was in your situation (I am no expert coach, by the way).

I would start with a "common" training plan: Considering the swimming and the biking as cross training for the HM to make:

1) A pretty busy plan for the HM, with a little less running miles than usual but lots and lots of crosstraining (both biking and swimming can helps you with your endurance and swimming is also good for your upper body strenght).

2) A run-oriented plan for the TRI.

In the last weeks before the first event I would go a little event-oriented (more running if the HM is first or less running if it's the TRI). Once the first event is passed, I would spend one "recuperation" week, and then switch to an almost regular training plan for the remaining event. 

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points