Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

927 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 9:45 AM by Ian_Moone RSS
IntervalGirl17 Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 25, 2012 10:54 AM

Newbie having breathing issues

Hi all,

New runner and new to site - Appreciate any help you can offer!

I used to be a smoker (1 year clean) and I'm still over weight (around 210 Lbs) so I suspected running would not come easy.  I've sorted out the running shoe dilemma, shin splint debacle and technical clothing issues but I can't seem to get comfortable with my lungs.

I have been doing intervals religiously for 3 months (3 mins walk: 1 min run for 30 mins and have been decreasing the walk time gradually)  and I am now at the part where I have to increase my running time by 30 seconds per week.

I was told this method would kick start my cardiovascular system and my body would understand and at some point begin to accept what I'm doing but I feel like I will not be able to survive the increase in the run time because I'm already so winded at the 1 minute (especially near the middle and end of the 30 min set).  I am concentrating on the control of my breathing and my form is good.

Is there something I can do to check that my lungs are in condition for this sort of thing?  Is this common for new runners? 

Please help!  I really love running but I feel like I'm not getting to the point I need to be at at this stage.

Thanks!

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    1. Jul 25, 2012 5:39 PM (in response to IntervalGirl17)

Did you consult a doctor before you began your training. You didn't state your age or how long you smoked for, have you been evaluated for COPD. A treadmill stress test would be a good start and then possibly chest X-rays. When I work with someone I look for consistent progress and note how long recovery takes between intervals, generally recovery should hasten as you get in better condition. If I don't see improvement and note other signs of distress I will refer the client to an MD. Have you ever experienced syncope (fainting or near fainting) during or following vigorous exercise? If you have see a doctor before continuing.

If you don't have medical concerns then try slowing your pace as you extend your duration. Also, don't over exert on the walking component, this is supposed to be your active recovery, save it for the run. After 2-3 runs you should be back up to your normal pace. Supplement your running with other forms of exercise on alternate days and begin a food journal. Diet is 70% of weight loss and as you already know losing weight will help your cause.

Best,

Personal Trainer Hollywood - Studio City

• Ian_Moone Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    2. Jul 31, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to IntervalGirl17)

one thing that I always do is slow down my running and also calm down , I always get a little hyper when I start my running and I have to pay attention to my leg feelings, meaning that if I can feel my legs pumping then I should slow down. after about 10 seconds  of doing this  at a slower pace my breathing calms down. it takes me a while to actually calm down enough to do this properly. on SOme days I down calm down my breathing until the last part of my run meaning that I finally find my rythem and pace that feels like I can keep fgoing for ever. I actually let the feeling continue and kept running for about 20 minutes non stop but my legs started to feel a little heavy . I hav`nt pushed to that since but now I do know that I can do this just as long as I slow and calm down.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...