Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5294 Views 66 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2007 4:52 PM by Guest 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
mmlgymnast Amateur 16 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 24, 2005 5:28 PM

Lance Armstrong

Hey
Does anybody watch the Tour de France or bike races? I love watching them but most kids my age have no clue who he is.

I wear my yellow Livestrong band and people ask what it is and what it's for.

• R4P Amateur 17 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    1. May 25, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to mmlgymnast)
    Re: Lance Armstrong

I always watch the Tour de France, but then again, I’m not an American. I’m Flemish and we’re nuts about cycling (just take a look at all the yellow flags with the black lion alongside the road). I doubt Lance Armstrong will win for the 7th time though. It seems he’s less dedicated with his training this year. Maybe now the Tour will become a bit more exiting.

• tetsujin04 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 3, 2004
    2. May 25, 2005 11:59 AM (in response to mmlgymnast)

quote:

Originally posted by R4P:

I always watch the Tour de France, . . . but I doubt Lance Armstrong will win for the 7th time though. It seems he’s less dedicated with his training this year. Maybe now the Tour will become a bit more exiting.

Since the afternoon Tour through France and adjacent countries has been shown live on tv during the morning hours in the states, many of us are devoted daily followers over here too.

Incidentally, according to the below except from a recent Nike release, Lance is "spending a lot of time in the gym," focusing on "core training," and able to be doing "harder workouts" in preparation for his possible seventh tour victory (as those of us who have been following his success since his teenage triathlete days are hoping).

==================
    "I've been spending a lot of time in the gym this year and wearing the Nike FREE shoe. I've focused on core training, a lot of balance work and flexibility and one-legged stuff. It's been incredible to see how much harder the work outs are when wearing Nike FREE," explains 6-time Tour de France
    Champion Lance Armstrong as he prepares for his final Tour.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/05-24-2005/0003685371&EDATE=[/URL" target="_blank">

----

Freer than Free[/URL" target="_blank">

• sgsims1 Rookie 11 posts since
    Jan 26, 2004
    3. May 25, 2005 1:30 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

personally, I think athletes need to be admired for their lives in and out of the public eye.  armstrong's wife nursed him through cancer treatment, gave birth to 3 kids via invitro (cancer treatment rendered lance sterile), and he dumped her and left her with 3 small kids so he could date Sheryl Crowe.  I'm sure there is more to the story, but as the father of a 3 1/2 year old how anyone could leave 3 small kids is a mystery to me....

and if i see another yellow wristband i'm going to puke....people are sheep

• R4P Amateur 17 posts since
    May 25, 2005
    4. May 25, 2005 1:59 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

I don’t want to be sceptical but what an advert says, isn’t my idea of solid proof that he’s training hard. But he’s a professional and he’ll know what he’s doing.

quote:

many of us are devoted daily followers over here too.

Great, it’s a lovely sport (running even more off course)! Though some Americans just seem to cheer for the ‘guy in the yellow jersey’, even if it isn’t Lance.  Quite funny to see their embarrassment if someone tells them that it wasn’t Armstrong that they just saw.

• Acidosis078 Expert 312 posts since
    Jun 26, 2006
    5. May 25, 2005 10:15 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

quote:

Originally posted by sgsims1:

personally, I think athletes need to be admired for their lives in and out of the public eye. armstrong's wife nursed him through cancer treatment, gave birth to 3 kids via invitro (cancer treatment rendered lance sterile), and he dumped her and left her with 3 small kids so he could date Sheryl Crowe. I'm sure there is more to the story, but as the father of a 3 1/2 year old how anyone could leave 3 small kids is a mystery to me....

and if i see another yellow wristband i'm going to puke....people are sheep

Ya I have to agree, it's amazing with an ego like that he is able to get on a bike.  My personel fav is Jan Ulrich who rides for T-Mobile.

Jun 26, 2006
    6. May 25, 2005 10:18 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

quote:

Originally posted by R4P:

I don’t want to be sceptical but what an advert says, isn’t my idea of solid proof that he’s training hard. But he’s a professional and he’ll know what he’s doing.

It's amazing what a good pharmacist can do.

Jun 26, 2006
    8. May 29, 2005 10:14 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

So did the U.S 4x100m olympic team.

Jun 26, 2006
    9. May 29, 2005 10:29 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

I get really suspicious whenever an American is dominating at something or does something that seems supernatural.  Carl Lewis passed all his drug tests too, and we know how clean he was.  In a sport like cycling that is riddled with drugs, and you have a guy who comes from a nation who has long notorious history of doping violations and does the unthinkable and comes back from testicular cancer (a disease thats treatment is a killer in itself) and wins 6 Tour Du France's.  Tell me which Hollywood production company has the rights to this one.

• Currently Being Moderated
    10. May 30, 2005 4:21 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

I love watching the Tour De France. i have always really been in to biking(me and my dad used to go on 100 mile rides) but Lance Armstrong is an animal. He is almost unbeatable in any race he really wants to race in. And i really beleive the people who think he is on steroids are just trying to keep him down and oh yeah who cares about HIS personal life with his wife and stuff it isnt our life so we shouldnt worry we should just be proud to have a great american cyclist

Jun 26, 2006
    12. Dec 24, 2007 4:52 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

When the documentation comes out down the line in ten twenty years...whenever, it will just be another joke the world has about the excited states of America.

[http://This message has been edited by Acidosis (edited May-30-2005).|http://This message has been edited by Acidosis (edited May-30-2005).]

Jun 26, 2006
    13. Dec 24, 2007 4:52 PM (in response to mmlgymnast)

quote:

Originally posted by CSRunner07:

I love watching the Tour De France. i have always really been in to biking(me and my dad used to go on 100 mile rides) but Lance Armstrong is an animal. He is almost unbeatable in any race he really wants to race in. And i really beleive the people who think he is on steroids are just trying to keep him down and oh yeah who cares about HIS personal life with his wife and stuff it isnt our life so we shouldnt worry we should just be proud to have a great american cyclist

Your right, he's probably not on steroids, he's probably taking EPO or some other enhancing chemical that was designed by BALCO or some other drug company that is meant to be undetected by current drug testing methods. Maybe he's blood doping, which seems to be a popular method amoung some Armstrongs former US Postal teamates, notably Tyler Hamilton. Does anybody else smell farmed salmon.

[http://This message has been edited by Acidosis (edited May-31-2005).|http://This message has been edited by Acidosis (edited May-31-2005).]

• Currently Being Moderated
    14. Jul 4, 2005 3:25 AM (in response to mmlgymnast)

You obviously have no clue as to what the wristbands stand for. The wristband is a way for some people to show support for cancer patients/survivors. Whether you are a supporter for Lance or not at least he was able to turn something so invaluable and make it into a very valuable way of raising funds for research on cancer.

and if i see another yellow wristband i'm going to puke....people are sheep[/B][/QUOTE]

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...