Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

808 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2012 4:07 PM by Molly229
Molly229 Amateur 17 posts since
Nov 12, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 1, 2012 5:23 AM

When the training gets tough - where do you go?

Hi fellow runners,

I'm 50 and training for my 2nd Marathon.  I ran my first at 44 in 5:17.  My original intent was to train to run it in 5:00, however I was overtraining and causing more harm than good to my body.

I've since switched training programs so I'm not putting so much stress on my body.

So, my question is this.  Where do you go in your mind, in your training, nutritionally when you hurt so freak'n bad, when you are tired and when you question why you do this?

I'm about 1/2 way through my training program and am finding this week so difficult.  The heat & humidity we've had in this part of Ontario Canada has been unbearable and has sucked the life out of me.  This morning when I was out for my run I was wondering why I can't be like "normal" people.  The answer, of course, is that I have this drive inside of my to achieve something, but man oh man do I hurt!!  Quitting is not an option, but being discouraged is part of the process.  How do you heal/deal with that?

Thanks.

Molly229

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Aug 1, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to Molly229)
    When the training gets tough - where do you go?

I think all of us have these issues in the middle of a plan, the duldrums.  Hang in, it will get better.  Here are a couple of quotes:

Pain is temporary, it may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place.  If I quit, however, it last forever.  Lance Armstong

Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.  John Wooden.

Good luck Phillip

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    2. Aug 1, 2012 11:51 AM (in response to Molly229)
    Re: When the training gets tough - where do you go?

Sounds like you've got two things going there.  Motivation in general.  And struggling with the pain.

Bosnpm has touched well on the motivation.  That's something I dare say every runner deals with.

I'm thinking perhaps given your age you suffer with something I don't think every runner does.  Daily pain.  I don't think every runner does, because I've met similarly driven people my age who don't.  The reason I am associating it with age is because I've run seriously at two points in my life.  Under 20, and 45 and above.  Before 20, what was pain?  Oh, sure, I had some, but nothing like what I've found to be the rule in my 40's.  I now have pain associated with running every day - and I mean every day.  I wake up in pain, I sit all day in pain, I run with pain, I go to bed with pain.  I've seen doctors about it, and have decided from those discussions I have two options;  quit running, or run and live in pain.  For 4 years now, I've chosen the latter.

That being said, it has gotten better.  I'm running everyday now.  I wasn't able to for the longest time.  I've increased my mileage enough to run a marathon last Nov under 3 hours.  But, pain is something I have to manage every day.

Things I do for pain, which may or may not help, but I do it anyway:

- self massage, regularly

- rolling regularly on a foam roller (I got a nifty one from www.tptherapy.com)

- take a proteolytic enzyme supplement (I use phy-zymes from baseline nutritionals)

- insist on a 4:1 carb/protein intake post workout (I was on accelarade but just use chocolate milk now)

- eat spinach based salads by the truckload

- eat lots of cherries

- frequently search the web for any new tips on managing DOMS

Old age, yes, it's a b**ch

Good luck.

• JoeMarks Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2011
    3. Aug 1, 2012 12:39 PM (in response to Molly229)
    Re: When the training gets tough - where do you go?

BOSNMP and nowirun4fun have made some great points here.  I think a big part of this is the daily grind of doing the same thing over and over.  I woud suggest mixing things up a little bit to keep you more fresh mentally.  I am still in my 30's so I can attest to the age factor, but mental struggles I am familiar with.  Find someone to run with, find a trail you can run on which will probably result in less pain from the softer surface, as well as give yourself some slack during these hard mid cycle weeks, especially if it's hot and humid, you can cut things a little short or run a little slower if your running in the heat, your body will still get the adaptation response and will thank you for not running yourself into the red.  Also, exchange some of your easier runs with swimming or biking, or even light strength training, this will give the joints a break as well. Just think about what the goal is for that day of running and if you can switch it up by doing a different type of training and still reap the rewards, it'll be a relief from the grind.  My thoughts....

Joe Marks

Running and Strength Coach

Latest Running Tips and Training

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...