Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

495 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2005 10:08 PM by Guest RSS
erigg Amateur 20 posts since
Jun 14, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2005 7:21 AM

Running twice a day

is it bad to run in the morning and then again at night? sometimes it's too hot out for me to get in all my miles at once so i like to split them up between a morning and evening run....but i'm afraid that my body won't have enough time to recover from run to run and i'll end up hurting myself or getting burnt out
So does anyone know if running twice a day is good or bad?

• Epimetheus Amateur 55 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 26, 2005 8:00 PM (in response to erigg)
    Re: Running twice a day

I run twice a day about twice a week.  I don't think that it has an adverse effect on training, and it might even be better, but don't quote me on that.  I really like it, especially after hard days, because the morning run loosens up my legs, and so I feel better at night.  You'd be surprised how quickly your body will recover, especially if you give yourself all day.

• Macarooney Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 10, 2005
    2. Jul 30, 2005 12:15 PM (in response to erigg)

As long as you take the evening run fairly relatively easy and limit it to about 4 or 5 miles, you should be fine. Still, listen to your legs and train smart.

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Jul 30, 2005 9:39 PM (in response to erigg)

I run in the moring and at night all the time. The moring uses up my energy so when I run at night it is making me better but don't push it too hard.

----

SLone

• hobbs xc runner 2009 Amateur 38 posts since
    Dec 19, 2004
    4. Aug 13, 2005 1:52 PM (in response to erigg)

we have 2 run twice a day... its hard at first but then one u get use to it, its relaxing to me cuz my morning run is hard & at the end of the day, i have alota tress and stuff so then i take a easy run

----

Cross Country- Finally a use for Golf Courses!!!

5. Dec 24, 2007 5:32 PM (in response to erigg)

Running twice a day is great for putting in the miles, but your gonna have to eat a bunch or after about a month you'll realize you lost like ten pounds!  I once lost five pounds in one week from running twice a day, and I'm a skinny guy!

[http://This message has been edited by CFree815 (edited Aug-22-2005).|http://This message has been edited by CFree815 (edited Aug-22-2005).]

• destinyrunner123 Amateur 29 posts since
    Aug 25, 2005
    6. Sep 4, 2005 7:15 PM (in response to erigg)

All the best runners will run "2 a days," so they can put in more miles. If the most you can run is 10 miles at a time... you'd be better off running 6 in the morning and 6 in the evening for a total of 12. Both my mom and my dad ran in the morning before they went to work, and then after work... They said it got them into shape really fast for X-country season.

----

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
           Steve Prefontaine

• redrodeo Amateur 56 posts since
    May 17, 2005
    7. Sep 4, 2005 9:07 PM (in response to erigg)

I usually do an easy 15-20 minute slow jog in the morning. Then I go to XC practice in the afternoon where we do out hard workouts. I love to get the morning run in so I can get loosened up and get a really good stretch in. I would definitely reccomend a short easy jog in the AM.

8. Sep 4, 2005 10:08 PM (in response to erigg)

I did it a lot during summer

A hard 4-5 mile tempo in the morning, like 9-10AM, then 8-10 easy later in the afternoon, 4pm. Perfection.

----

Zack Crockett
    Aragon High School
    soph - 4:33/9:50

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...