Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

943 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 1:03 PM by Jasko123 RSS
trisherr82 Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 5, 2012 10:26 AM

Nutrition Advice?

Hey everyone,

I just started running about a month ago, I'm running on an average 9.5- 10 minute miles. I am working my way up to shorten my time each run. I see a nutritionist every couple months, but she said I should talk to other runners and get their opinions. I am currently consuming 800-1000 calories a day, she bumped me up to 1000-1200 on Wednesday. The question I have is; when I run my heart rate monitor says I burn around 650-800 calories on a 6 mile run. Should I consume more calories? I drink protein shakes by Syntrax and Unjury, which have 100 calories and 24 grams of protein per serving. I'm reaching my protein goals of about 84 a day, tons of water, and about 36 grams of fat. I weigh 146 and I am looking to lose about 20 more pounds along with toning muscle.

Does anyone have any opinions if I am doing something right or something wrong? Oh, and my average heart rate when running is 175, I am 30 years old, is that an appropriate heart rate?

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 11, 2012 1:03 PM (in response to trisherr82)
    Nutrition Advice?

Hi trisherr,

If you consume more calories, you may off-set the benefits of the 6-mile run, so I would say add some additional smaller snacks (ideally mix complex carbs with healthy protein) because your goal is to lose some additional weight.  So, if you replaced one of your larger meals and removed the protein shake, you could then try some other options with fewer calories and greater metabolic benefit.  For example, a blueberry/yogurt smoothie and a handful of trail-mix or fresh veggies with humus and that way your nutrition is coming from whole foods as opposed to supplements. 

Regarding your heart rate, everyone is different.  The simple forumla is subtracting your age from 220 or substracting your resting heart rate from your maximum to get the average training rate. 

Sounds like you are doing great and wishing you all the best.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...