Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2314 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2007 5:03 PM by quickchick10 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • sky7walker Expert 53 posts since
    Aug 23, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 26, 2005 8:22 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: What do you think about while running?

During training my mind wanders all over the place, I am very easily distracted vy the simplest thing, such as the shape of the clouds lol. If I'm not distracted I usually think of my runs, and how to improve them, also my form.
    In a race, all I think about it to keep on going, and ignore all of those annoying voices in my head. I just wanna finish as as soon as possible, there's no thinking here! Just the body working on its own

• LZ5520 Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 21, 2005
    16. Oct 26, 2005 9:35 PM (in response to Guest )

when i run i usually think about how bad i want it.  how bad do i want to win? if i slow down or give up, will i regret it later? the answer is always yes and thats just what i think about to keep me going.  during practice i usually just think about what  happened that day or whatever

• wegs089 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 19, 2002
    17. Oct 26, 2005 11:05 PM (in response to Guest )

During training, unless its a pace work day, I pretty much think about anything and everything and talk about just as much until the pace picks up..

During the race, I really don't think about anything except the race, i.e. running down anyone and everyone in front of me.. Works quite well really..

• jellybean567 Pro 102 posts since
    May 7, 2005
    19. Nov 7, 2005 8:53 PM (in response to Guest )

During a race, I usually am focused on racing, passing people, and how I'm doing.  If I'm not giving off the "focused" vibe, my coach and Tyler(captain) will yell at me.  But during training runs, I really enjoy doing math, especially long division(I know, I'm nuts!) or else I speak spanish to myself.  One extra-crappy day I had "Estoy bastante bien" stuck in my head, which means I'm pretty good, then I realized that I wasn't actually that good at all! 

• schmidty421 Expert 47 posts since
    Aug 18, 2005
    20. Nov 7, 2005 8:55 PM (in response to Guest )

I dont think during races and during regular runs i talk to my teammates.

• runlifer08 Pro 181 posts since
    Mar 1, 2005
    21. Nov 19, 2005 4:19 PM (in response to Guest )

I always have some song stuck in my head.  I never coose it though.  For some reason I breath to the song too.  Just the other week when I ran a PR of 18:30  I had some rap song stuck in my head even though I never listen to rap!  I have also had songs such as Wooly Bully, Dr. Pepper theme song, and a whole bunch of other wierd ones.

Western States 100 2014...See you there.
  • Makaila G Rookie 10 posts since
    Nov 28, 2005
    22. Dec 6, 2005 3:08 PM (in response to Guest )

yea, i do math too, not so much long division but ill figure out what pace i need to get each lap for a certain time, and in xc i go by the mile times, our coach gives us 1000 times in the bigger meets, and figure out what my final time should be for those.  i dont kno, its a whole lotta numbers, on long runs i listen to country music and zone out, its kind of just a chance to relax...

• Haert2run Expert 54 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jan 8, 2006 8:52 PM (in response to Guest )

I have a problem with not turning my legs fast, so I always have the song "Accidentally In Love" going in my head.  I always get to the part, "c'mon c'mon, turn a little faster"  and that's when I surge. 

on training runs, I blank out my mind and forget everything unless I've had a bad day, then I worry.

• Squishy running Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 7, 2006
    24. Jan 9, 2006 11:14 AM (in response to Guest )

I just think about my pace and speed when i'm running.

----

Please email me if you have any advice/tips/trainning plans for teen runners.

• mullac14 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jan 10, 2006
    25. Jan 10, 2006 2:07 PM (in response to Guest )

i normally get the catchiest and cornyest song in my head and end up aving the urge to commit suicide at the end. lol i get the worst songs in my head like

1. on the way to amorillo (peter kay and tony christie)
    2. Pizza hut (fast food rockers(don't ask...)
    3. charlie had a pidgeon (anon)

lol its the only ones i can remember now but those are in my head forever and always (including races)

• ghsxcqueen Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 22, 2006
    26. Jan 13, 2006 9:23 PM (in response to Guest )

Truthfully, sometimes I just don't think about anything...it's hard to describe...It's like I'm running, but i'm just there...I think it's pretty cool. But when I do actually think about something, I usually think about what I'm going to do after I run, or if I'm having a bad day, I go run and think about how to solve the problem or just to get my mind off it and cool down.

----

"Pass the weak; Hurdle the dead!" GHS XC 2005

• XCJustRun Amateur 15 posts since
    Jan 14, 2006
    27. Jan 14, 2006 4:55 PM (in response to Guest )

I think of all manner of random things. When I'm racing, I try to concentrate. The best is when you start getting a little bit delierious and every thing seems REALLY funny, some interesting thoughts. I'm usually talking when I run though.

----

Running cross-country is like beating yourself over the head with a stick; it's kinda painful, not very sensible, yet oddly satsifying.

• mdsmith88 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 23, 2007
    28. Aug 23, 2007 11:49 AM (in response to Guest )

When I'm running during practice I usually think about setting check points like a certain stop sign or where the basket ball court is.  During a race I write 3 or 4 upbeat, inspiring songs on my hand then once the race starts I sing them in my head.  that usually gets me to the last half mile then I just concentrate on what I get to eat after the race that's in my spirit bag and of course booking it to the finish line!

• CippyCup Legend 448 posts since
    Aug 21, 2006
    29. Aug 23, 2007 2:38 PM (in response to Guest )

Who are you people? I have never seen any of you here!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...