Skip navigation

2879 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2009 4:03 PM by hookandladder RSS
BrittyTrek Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 3, 2006 11:12 AM

Cycling Cancer Survivors!

My name is Britt and I am 21. I am a breast cancer survivor and i credit cycling to my survival.  I recently completed the livestrong challenge 40 mile ride in portland, oregon.  I am currently training for the Tour de Pink, a 220 mile ride from New York City to Hershey Penn. I am so excited. I would love to talk to other cancer survivors who have found   a love for cycling!!!! Hope to hear from you all soon! And don't forget to LiveSTRONG!

• ahoops Amateur 25 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009
    1. Jun 11, 2009 12:17 PM (in response to BrittyTrek)
    Re: Cycling Cancer Survivors!

Way to go Britt!  I've never had cancer, but have tremendous respect for Survivors.  I'm riding the 100 mile route of Pelotonia in August with Lance Armstrong. 

Keep the rubber side down!

Aaron

• Raliegh Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 18, 2009
    2. Jun 18, 2009 5:28 AM (in response to BrittyTrek)

You go, girl!  I'm not a survivor, but have a blood disorder called MGUS that may develop into multiple myeloma over time.  I just finished participating in the Jim Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride in Simsbury CT -- which raised money for Coaches Against Cancer, and the  Neag Cancer Center at UCONN Health Center, where I get tested.  At the event, I talked to a woman from the American Cancer Society who said there are 11 million cancer survivors like you in the US today!  I justy finished reading Lance Armstrong's book "Its Not About the Bike"  -  a great read!     

So, if you are riding in both the PDX and NYC areas, which coast do you live on?  PDX is a great area.

Rick 

• racecar27 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    3. Sep 11, 2009 10:20 PM (in response to BrittyTrek)

You go girl! I am a survivor also. I had stage 3C ovarian cancer and my oncologist credits my cycling and overall fitness to my survival! I'm 2 1/2 years out from my last chemo treatment. He gave me a 55-60% chance of surviving and I'm taking every minute of it. I'm working my way back up to where I was before I had to take chemo, but I will get there! I'll probably never be able to ride like I did (chemo took a toll on my joints) but don't think I won't try! LIVESTRONG!

Pam

• hookandladder Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    4. Nov 5, 2009 4:03 PM (in response to racecar27)

Hi Gals,

I'm new to the bike after CONQUERING breast cancer that spread to my skin and bones.

I really needed to turn the corner and could hardly walk last February.  In lieu of walking/running, I hopped on my dusty old bike.  AND, I just finished biking my first marathon (Long Beach, CA).  The first few miles held a few tears of gratitude and the beginning of a renewed self-belief.  Ironically, I had no trouble physically - more mental and emotional.

I'm currently looking for a group to learn/ride with in LA.

Also, any help you can offer for "handle bar palsy" as I see the biking community calls it, would be helpful....in other words, I'm a beginner with a weak core that has caused some serious ulna nerve issues affecting my wrists.  I have shock absorbers on my handlebars, raised my bars as much as possible, wear padded gloves and move my position much more than before.  Any experience with this condition?  I want to get back on my bike and ride!

Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...