Skip navigation

1751 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2012 2:33 PM by Avatar4Stefan
jriv777 Rookie 3 posts since
May 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 9, 2012 10:06 PM

I am sure my question may depend on an individual's fitness level but is it possible to run 2 marathons one month apart

or does the body need more recovery time after the first marathon before attempting a second in such a short time frame?

• nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    1. Aug 10, 2012 3:51 AM (in response to jriv777)

Yes, it is completely possible for a well conditioned athlete.  Not a good idea for a hack just trying to survive to the end of a marathon by any means possible, however.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Aug 10, 2012 7:02 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Yes, I did it last year.  Wineglass Oct 2 and MCM the end of the month.  Race Wineglass and ran MCM easy. Conventional  wisdom would tell you wait 6 months, but lots of people do back to back marathons!  If it's your 1st and you do not have a very good base don't do it.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,494 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 10, 2012 9:19 AM (in response to jriv777)

I've done it twice.  Neither time really well, but not because of doing them too close together.  Along with BOSNPM (a good ways behind him actually), I did Wineglass and Marine Corps four weeks apart in 2011.  For a variety of reasons, they didn't go well.  In 2010 I did Marine Corps, then 3 weeks later I did Philly.  I actually did better in Philly, because I ran a more careful and deliberate race.  I agree, though, that it's not a good thing to try for your first and second.  You need to get that first one under your belt and understand what you're getting into before scheduling your second.

• KrisWenzel Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010
    4. Aug 10, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to jriv777)

I'm 47 and have ran two marathons in the same year,  I waited six months inbetween them.

I'm not designed to do back to back marathons... 

GoRunAgain - Experience running from the point of view of one who has rediscovered the sport. I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm surely more passionate!

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    6. Aug 11, 2012 8:53 PM (in response to jriv777)

The big thing will  be to watch your recovery time after your marathon this year. If you can comfortably run a good long run (20+) a month after and keep close to goal pace then go for it. If you feel like you still need more time to recover then you might want to wait a bit longer.

• Avatar4Stefan Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    8. Aug 22, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to jriv777)

I would guess that you are asking the wrong question.

Can you run 2 marathons in a month? Yes. You can run two marathons in a weekend. And no, I am not talking about me, or a hypothetical well trained runner, I am talking about you.If you can run a marathon in 5 hours, it would be very reasonable to assume you can run 2 on consecutive days running them in maybe 6 - 6,5 hours each. So, running them a month apart, maybe 5:30 for both of them, shouldn't be a problem. Please note that BOTH marathons have to be run in a signifficantly slower fashion than your current capability.

Coming back to my initial statement: Is this really what you want to do? Or is your question rather: Can I have two great marathon performances within 4 weeks? In which case - and I hope you don't mind me being frank - , taking into account your lack of experience and not stellar finish time, I would say: No. That is probably not a good idea.

... who will run Frankfurt marathon on 10/28, Dublin on 10/29 and NYC on 11/4 ;-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...