Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1310 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2005 7:13 PM by white ethiopian 16 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • aurang Legend 1,354 posts since
    Jun 26, 2003

quote:

Originally posted by alexanderthegr8:

I will say that running on your forefoot can take 10 seconds off of your 1500/mile time. It is a great practice because it is much more effeceint stride. As the race gets longer/pace gets slower you'll likely notice that you'll initially strike the ground with your forefoot and then your heel may tap the ground very briefly. I know people that will run 3k/5k races on their toes for the entire race. My HS coach talked about a girl who trained with him at UALR that would run 8k/10k races on her toes for 75% of the race.

You're absolutely right, though I don't know about ten seconds a mile.  I do all my running in racing flats (part of the advantages of being 125 lbs) and when I'm running on pavement at a good hard pace, I find that I land on the balls of my feet and spring off the ground.  Of course, as you run faster or when you're tired, your form will deteriorate.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...