Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7654 Views 30 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 5:09 PM by Rich in NH 1 2 3 Previous Next
Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2012 5:42 PM

An Oldie(over 75,000 miles run) willing to help Newbies

Hi, as a long ago member of CoolRunning I drifted away when CR seemd to"die" about 5 yrs ago. Just discovered the site still exists. A quick bio: Soon to be 69, quit smoking back in late 1975, started logging my runs in April, 1976. Currently at 75,718 miles. Have run in over 450 races from 1 mile to ultra marathons over the years and have coached a lot of neighborhood class runners. My motto has always been "start of easy, then back off". I am willing to offer some insights into having Newbies become lifetime runners. By making running fun, making it play instead of trying to do too much, too fast, too soon you can become lifetime runners. My coaching goal would be to keep you from joining the world's largest running club: I Use to Run, But.......Club.

A couple tidbits: Slow down, you will get faster. It is OK to walk. A guy name Tom Osler had the run/walk concept decades before Jeff Galloway. Water is a great hydrator, it has worked for thousands of years.

Hope to get some questions. My newest goal is to complete a February, 2113 marathon, which will give me having run a marathon or ultra in the last 5 decades (70's,80's,90's,2000's and 2013).I will admit it took me to 2008 to qualify for Boston (3:57) at age 64 1/2.

I have been very fortunate. Rarely been injured and honestly appreciate and love running more with each mile. Thanks for letting me exercise my ego. Again, I am willing to help make lifetime runners out of you Newbies. Nick

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008

Thanks for the offer, Nick

One of the questions I mull over is how optimal training may be different for older runners. I recognize that we may be more prone to injury (I say "may" because we may be a little less reckless, a little less driven than younger runners.)

I am 61 years old, female, and started running a little over four years ago. Currently I run five days a week; five miles Sat/Mon/Tues/Thurs, and a long run of 9.6 to 11.1 miles on Sunday. Occasionally I miss a day or run an extra day, or tack on another mile and a half, but that's the basics. In the winter, when it gets too icy to run safely on the roads I get a gym membership and work on the elliptical, but mostly I run through the winter. I have done core exercises daily for decades, not long or intensely, but consistently. My prs (both this year) are 25:37 for 5K and 2:11:26 for 13.1 miles.

The recommendations for runners in general would be to do track/interval work, and increase weekly mileage, in order to run faster/farther,  but I also think that doing that would increase my risk of injury and/or burnout. I'd like to think that there would also be improvement, if slow, but just maintaining this schedule and increasing strength. I also know that in the near future increases in fitness will be balanced by age-related decrease in performance.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Robin from Maine

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Welcome back Nick & thanks for the offer! I'm like Robin, one of my biggest questions/concerns is optimal training for older runners. I'm 61 years old and started running in October of '09. I've had my share of injuries: stress fracture to hip, retrocalcneal bursitis, plantar fasciitus. I've got high stiff arches and supinate. AND I LOVE to RUN!!!

My injuries tend to come after doing the old "too much, too soon, too fast".

I'm currently training  for my first marathon, actually planning to do the Goofy Challenge (half marathon on Saturday, and the full on Sunday) at Disney World in January. I'm using the Galloway plan for "experienced" runners to hopefully get me there and across both finish lines. I'd love to be like Robin and run 5 days a week but am afraid to do more than 3 or 4, at the risk of injury.

I'm not fast, but want to improve speed, but running long and running healthy are more important. Currently I do one run per week that total 4-5 miles with 4-6  hill repeats, one 4-5 miler that focuses on speed  with either cadence or what Galloway calls acceleration drills , the third run of the week is a long slow distance run. When I can, I like to do just an enjoyable easy run that is 3-5 miles for my 4th day.

I too would appreciate your thoughts, comments and suggestions.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• cmander4 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 19, 2012

I am a true newbie. I did a 5k in July ( with very little training) and fell in love with the idea. So, I started the c25k and am running/ walking 3 times a week. I usually end up doing like 2 miles when I'm out. So i have a few questions...

• Should I go to a specialty store and have my gate (spelling??) analyzed or is that a waste of money?
    • Also, every time after a run, my right hamstring is sore, what am I doing wrong?
    • Should I be concerned if my right knee gets a little sore after a  run? I  guessI'm not sure what is normal and what I should see a doctor for.
    Aug 19, 2012

Ok, c25k is a training program called couch to 5k. It alternates jogging and walking through the course of 9 weeks to help you get from being a couch potato to a 5k It makes it very simple to follow and slowly increases the amount of time you run.

I'll be honest...I don't want to stop running because it will feel like I'm taking a step backwards, but I REALLY don't want to screw up my knee! Looks like I will start walking for a bit! Thanks!

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Nick-good to actually be able to communicate with you.  I've been trying to read through the old Basebuilding, low heart rate training via Maffetone et al thread and have seen you on there many times.  I appreciate any wisdom and suggestions as I'm just getting started with the low heart rate training over the last 2-3 weeks or so, and heart rate monitor working only last 10 days or so.

Anyway, I'm 58 nearing 59, so I've used 122 as the top HR for my runs, trying to stay 112-122 >98% of the time.  I've been running for 18 months, so I did not add +5 to the equation as I felt it would be best to be on the low side. I had a mild case of Achilles tendonitis about 10 months or more ago and have been fortunate to be injury free since then.

Some of the races I've done appear below; I ran a similar # in 2011 and have made slow progress in improving my times.  (first 5K was about 36 min)  I want to run longer distances and had been doing my longer runs at a much slower pace than my other runs since early July, but did not have HR monitor and had not read the Maffetone thread or his web site at that time.  My longest run is 18 miles, run on 8/11, with average pace of about 14:09.  usually run 1 minute and walk 1 minute, but by the last 6 miles it was more like 30sec of each to keep HR down. 

I plan on using the low heart rate training exclusively for at least the next 6 months except for a few races planned for the fall.  And those are races in name only; I plan to use them as organized training runs to see where I'm at.  On 9/15 there is a local HM that I will run at or near my current training pace, perhaps picking it up a little on the heart rate the last 3 miles if I'm feeling OK.  My primary goal is to finish (nor race or run) a local FM on 10/21. (My wife and I have had a large number of losses in our family in the last year, and I want to do the marathon in honor of our loved ones).  So the goal is to finish, nothing more.

After that it will be back to just LHR training, tentatively planning only 4-6 races in 2013, from 5K to marathon.

Any thoughts, suggestions, critiques would be welcome.  Thanks for taking your time to share your wisdom.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)

Aug 19, 2012

I'm a 27 year old female. I weigh about 165 lbs (I'm 5'7" so I'm over weight). In my teens I played basketball and cheered. I was diagnosed with osgood schlatters disease and started to become less active. As an adult, I haven't been consistently active until recently.

I was worried that maybe my knee hurts because of the osgood schlatters, but that had to do with my bones growing...Once I stopped growing, the pain stopped to so I don't think that has anything to do with it

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011

Nick- I had a stress test in April (normal) with MHR of 164.  Tuesday I ran my slow 4 miles, and near the end I charged hard up a steep hill.  when I had to stop MHR was 162.  Today I ran slow for just over 3, then began speeding up about 600 yards before the hill so my HR was already over 150 by the time I started up the hill.  I got MHR to 171 with that.

My resting heart rate is not very low, probably in part to some medication I take daily that can raise the heart rate.  My doctor agreed to reduce the dose, but I'm not able to go off it completely.  I hope that helps.  Thanks again.

Dan

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)