Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2638 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2006 7:05 PM by pcxcrunner1040 1 2 Previous Next
RedneckGurl6732 Amateur 43 posts since
Nov 16, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2005 7:45 AM

Am I too thin..even for a runner???

Hey ya'll, I was wondering what your ages/weight/height are b/c I kinda want to compare myself. I'm 13 yrs (gurl) 101 lbs and 5'5". A lot of people say I should weigh at least 115 or so...but idk. What do ya'll think??

• walrusgod Amateur 181 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 20, 2005 10:31 AM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)
    Re: Am I too thin..even for a runner???

u shudnt realy worry bout weight sum ppl r just naturally lite n sum r naturally heavy. btw im 14/m 5'11.5 140 lbs.

• Runbald Rookie 15 posts since
    Jul 12, 2004
    2. Dec 20, 2005 10:36 AM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I think you should ask your doctor. Not us.

• aurang Legend 1,354 posts since
    Jun 26, 2003
    3. Dec 20, 2005 10:37 AM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

What's your 100-metre time?

• ThePunisher065 Amateur 61 posts since
    Jul 23, 2004
    4. Dec 20, 2005 2:03 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

Whatever your body feels comfortable with. Everyone is different, if you feel weak and lethargic, gain some healthy weight. If not, just stay where you are. Two people that weigh the same can be drastically different.

16/m 6'1" 176lbs.

• Twigger Legend 398 posts since
    Mar 3, 2005
    5. Dec 21, 2005 10:41 AM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I wonder the same thing but as long as your not having health problems,  constantly watching your weight, and are not purposely denieing yourself what others have (especially other athletes w/ non active people dont worry bc they normally dont watch what they eat anyway)

Also your doctor or parents should know if you have always been small. The only problems come if you have been in the middle BMI for your age group and then have drastically gone down.

BTW im a 16yr old girl that is 5' 5" and wiegh about 95 but i consider myself healthy

----

I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't.

MyProfile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Runnerkid22 Amateur 30 posts since
    Nov 28, 2005
    6. Jan 3, 2006 2:00 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I don't think so but a lot of people "make-fun" of me jokingly because i am so skinny 5'3 92lbs but i dont think it matters as long as you eat enough and run middle to long distance.

• Squishy running Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 7, 2006
    7. Jan 8, 2006 2:30 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

It's easer to run when your skinny rather than being over weight. I'm 8 stone and 10lbs. I'm only 2lbs over weight and i'm starting to burn that of. But i'm only 14, so i'm still growing.

----

Please email me if you have any advice/tips/trainning plans for teen runners.

• runxc09 Legend 354 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jan 8, 2006 2:42 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I have never questioned my weight although I have wondered if I lost a few pounds would it affect my times? IMO think that it doesn't matter what weight you are as long as you are healthy. One major part of running for me, is to be healthy. If you are going to put yourself through the torture of long runs and workouts then you need to have fuel. So as long as you feel good and have enough energy then whatever weight you are is fine.

Jan 7, 2006
    9. Dec 24, 2007 7:22 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I am healthy, but everyone i know who do a lot of running and are faster than me, are thin and there tums sort of stick in that makes them look really fit as well. I allways feel that sticking out tums makes you look a bit plump. I allways feel that i should make the effort to get rid of it. I'll have to ask them.

----

[http://This message has been edited by Squishy running (edited Jan-08-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Squishy running (edited Jan-08-2006).]

• lil ellieness Amateur 28 posts since
    Jul 16, 2005
    10. Jan 15, 2006 6:46 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

im aussy so we say kgs... but im a 13 yr old gal, 160cm and i way 43kgs... am i skinny or overweight or what??? lol

• XCJustRun Amateur 15 posts since
    Jan 14, 2006
    11. Jan 15, 2006 7:51 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I wouldn't worry. Some people are just lighter than others. Im 5'2" and people don't believe I weigh 105-110 (somewhere in there). My friend is the exact same size as me, solid muscle and weighs under 100. I'm just amused when people think I look anorexic then find out I eat 24/7 and weigh a ton for my size. If your fit and healthy, I see no problem.

• destinyrunner123 Amateur 29 posts since
    Aug 25, 2005
    12. Jan 16, 2006 8:29 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I don't know if its common or not, but as a 5'4" freshman, I get a lot of "jokes" about my height and my weight. Most of the time I just shrug it off and tell myself that most runners are like that. Lately, however, I've been wondering if there really are any other 12-15 year old males like me... I weigh 94 lbs. by the way

----

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
           Steve Prefontaine

Jan 7, 2006
    13. Jan 17, 2006 12:31 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

I see. So it's not just looks of the body to jugde how fit or fast you are at running and over sports? Is it possiable for a 12-18 teen to replace a parch with abs if they exercised enoguhth? Cos i know 2 of my mates have what looks like lines that stick in and have no parch. I don't know weather they are abs or just them being thin.

----

• JaiRunner Amateur 107 posts since
    Mar 8, 2005
    14. Jan 17, 2006 3:47 PM (in response to RedneckGurl6732)

For What its worth . . .

Weight is a very poor indicator of health, especially when you are young ( age 10-21).

Appearance is an even worse indicator of health.

If you are trully concerned about your weight, see a doctor and get some advice face to face. Trying stuff on your own can lead down a very bad path.

Otherwise, focus on three to five meals a day, appropriate amounts of calories (for most athletes this is between 2400 and 4000 cals a day) and eating a good balance (fruits, vegetables, dairy, and some meat).

If you are doing that as a teenager, kudos! Many adults still struggle with maintaining a healthy diet!

destinyrunner, I was that small when I was your age too. Don't worry about it too much (though you may get stuffed in a locker every once in a while, I did) you'll be fine. I also coached a runner like that and he went on to states!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...