Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

680 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 2:17 PM by Jasko123
gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2012 5:48 AM

Losing steam - HELP!

Ok so I am a newbie I am in about 5 weeks of training just trying out a 3 mile I am finding on certain days I can go a whole mile and half without stopping and then the 2nd half I do about 2 min run and 1-2 min walk alternating not really going by the book just testing the waters to see how far I can run without walking - now today was very humid dealing with the effects of tropical storm Isaac early morning run I fell behind started with run at 4 min, then had to walk 2 min run 2-3 min alternating maybe only did a total of 2 miles within 30 min.  is this normal? not sure what to expect much harder this morning I felt tired waking up so not sure if it's that or on top of humidity.  I have not yet invested in a heart monitor yet that is to come I did try to pickup my speed - can someone tell me if I am on the right track if days like this happen or do I need to step back into the program and work up again--- ANY HELP/ADVISE APPRECIATED.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 28, 2012 2:17 PM (in response to gogolegs)
    Losing steam - HELP!

I think it is fine to do a walk/run routine and to just walk or do a slower pace, as necessary.  Doing 100 or 200 meters slightly faster is also beneficial, and it seems that is what you are working on including. 

It is perfectly normal to feel sluggish on certain days and there are many factors involved, so do not be discouraged if progress is off your expectations. 

It sounds like you are doing fine with the program, and just slowly push out the total miles, even if you are walking briskly most of the time because that will also increase your endurance and comfort levels with greater distances. 

Wishing you all the best. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...