Skip navigation

739 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2012 5:57 AM by Frank_B RSS
Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2012 8:16 AM

Today in History

August 30, 1918, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) hitters of all time is born, happy birthday Mr. Williams !!!

Who knows what he might have done if he didn't miss those years in the service of his country.

Saw him play a few times when I was very young.

Got to meet and talk to him on several occasions in his later years when he lived down here and they built the Ted Williams Museum and Hitters Hall of Fame (which has subsequently moved to St. Pete, inside the "Dome" where the Rays play).

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Aug 30, 2012 9:55 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Today in History

"Who knows what he might have done if he didn't miss those years in the service of his country."

Fair to say.... he would of set Red Sox and MLB batting records that would of stood forever.

Yes, records are made to be broken, but.................! ! !   

As noted on past threads re Williams, I was at Fenway, first time, with some of my teen-age friends in 1946 .

It was Yankees, with Joe DiMaggio... vs... Red Sox, with Williams.

Frank!

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. Aug 31, 2012 5:57 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Today in History

As kids, the best seats we had was when we got  in for nothing.

Explanation:

My friend's uncle was a ticket-taker at the gate.

When we showed up, my friend would "pass-through" first, letting his uncle know how many of us were with him.

In we would go, not all at once, but spread out to be less noticeable.

Once all in, we waited untill the game started, there were always "no-shows" in the better seats.

Ushers, if they knew, didn't care or bother us, so long as we didn't cause trouble.

The worst seats, when the uncle was not there for one reason or another, was when we bought bleacher seats

for .50 cents.  Even then, when the opportunity arose, we would "migrate" into better higher priced "no-show seats"; or later innings when some people, for their own reasons, left early.

For the Boston Braves @ Braves Field, we "snuck-in" via a "partition" in the right field fence, railroad side, into the "jury-box" bleacher seats. At times, we got some used baseballs from Tommy Holmes, then the right fielder for the Braves.

One time he gave us a well-used fielder's glove.

That "partition" in the fence was eventually sealed off----fun while it lasted!

Living where we did, in close proximity to both venues, getting there was no problem.

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...