Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

672 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 2:03 PM by CamaroZ28c RSS
Shaun_Nichols Amateur 7 posts since
Aug 23, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2012 12:39 PM

Couch to HM in 6 wks

Ok. So a little about me. I am 33 years old and just recently picked up running as a hobby about six weeks ago. Basically I hated to run and would rather take my chances jumping face first on a bed of nails than to run a mile. Once I took the first step ( no pun intended) I found that not only do I enjoy running, I look forward to it! I found that about 2 weeks or so in my workouts, I could run 4-5 miles without really getting exhausted.

Granted I wasn't knocking down a 6 minute mile but I felt as though I had good endurance. So a week ago Saturday (Sept 1st) I decided to enter a 5k just to say I completed a race. To make it even better, my 9 year old signed up to run it with me. I learned some valuable things during that race: 1) never start near the front until you are really ready for that punishment 2) sometimes they throw hills into a 5k course. So the guy that was calling out times at the first mile said a couple of us ran the first mile in 7:45. I knew right away if I wanted to finish this race that I needed to slow my pace. Good choice on my part. After the second hill, I started to appreciate the course. As I came across the finish line my time for the 5k was right at 28:00. I was pleased that I had finished and my ultimate long term goal was to finish a 5k under 30 minutes. So this leads my to my dilemma. A couple days before the 5k I had won an entry to a very well known half marathon on a NASCAR speedway. I don't know what I was thinking when I said sure I will do the 13.1 mile run????

The day after my 5k I decided to see if I had any shot at doing this half. Worse case I drive to the race and cheer on the other runners and I wouldn't be out of any entry money. So on my quest to see what I could do this past Sunday, I ended up running 9 miles in about 1:50 minutes and wasnt exhausted but didn't want to go any longer. I took Monday off and on Tuesday I gave it another shot and did 6.2 miles in about an hour and 10 minutes. Once again I know these aren't great times as I was just testing my endurance as I had never in my life attempted this distance. I took Wednesday off and ran again on Thursday.

I started out on a 3.1 mile run around the neighborhood and just as I hit 3 miles, I decided to keep going. About mile 5 my wife called and said she was on her way back home and wanted to run. So I finished up my 6.2 ran back home and waited 5 minutes on her to get here. I then ran another 3.1 on that run. I finished that day with just around 14 miles. I do realize the importance of listening to your body and making sure you get rest. The half is next Sunday and I'm really hoping I can make the full distance. The time limit we were given is 3:30 and I would be great full with finishing and have a stretch goal of 2:30.

In the last 7 days, I have put in 30 miles in 4 days. I started at 208 about 3 months ago and am now at 178. This is definitely easier on my body. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and for any feedback you can offer. I understand there are risk involved with what I am doing and I do listen to my body. I took the time today to go get the correct shoe at a "real" shoe store. Took me an hour to choose but the shoe feels great. I have decided that I do not mind walking some during the HM as long as I finish. I don't advise what I am doing to anyone but I feel my body is ready for this. 6 days from now we will see.

Couch to 5k in 4 weeks, and hopefully Couch to HM in 6 days?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...