Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

941 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2012 6:19 PM by ultimatehlth RSS
lsivak2012 Rookie 4 posts since
Sep 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2012 3:05 PM

Feet cramping

Hello all - i am new to running - did the C25K then just started going for distance.  I am still incredibly slow as i am a big girl and am now jogging at the 2 mi + mark.  Thing is, I run in the early mornings and i have stopped taking water with me and am getting some foot cramps so am wondering if its due to the lack of water.  And if so, how much should i drink before i go and how long before I go?

I do stop at a water fountain for a couple of drinks, but this morning it didnt seem to help my feet.

Thanks for any input!

Laura

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Sep 11, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to lsivak2012)
    Feet cramping

Hi Laura,

You may want to consider a sports drink or water with electrolytes and/or other added nutrients.  Potassium is very important to prevent cramping, for example.  Also, take a close look at your shoes and socks...try compression wear and make sure that you are walking at least 5-10 minutes before and after your running. 

It may be that you need a full 64 oz. before going out, but everyone is different.  In general, the recommendation has changed suggesting that we all require more hydration than previously estimated, especially with increased activities, so now I think the consensus is that many of us should be consuming at least an additional 16 oz. of water (above and beyond what we are typically drinking). 

Congratulations on all your progress and wishing you all the best. 

• Shaun_Nichols Amateur 7 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    2. Sep 12, 2012 10:57 AM (in response to lsivak2012)
    Feet cramping

Another thing to take into consideration, is that the vast majority of cramps have been proven to come from overuse of muscles. So if you are increasing the distance you jog, then you are using your muscles more than you normally would.

Try a light stretch before you go on your jog and get a good stretch in after your jog. Be careful not to overextend your muscles during the stretching. Definately, keep the fluids handy but understand that there are other factors to keep in mind.

Good luck.

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Oct 12, 2012 6:19 PM (in response to lsivak2012)
    Feet cramping

At 2 miles hydration should not be an issue. Make sure your are wearing properly fitted shoes with sufficient arch support. Also try strengthening your foot muscles (barefoot try picking up marbles with your toes. If no marbles try a towel) for 5 minutes every other day. Do a longer walking warm-up and try adding magnesium rich foods or chelated magnesium to your diet.

Personal Trainer Hollywood - Studio City

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points