Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

934 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 2:07 PM by BradW44 RSS
gogolegs Amateur 11 posts since
Aug 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2012 9:17 AM

Picking up speed?

Hi there - I am 42yr female finished program but really didn't go by the schedule I had my run (jog) 2 days ago 3.2 miles without walking about 35 min. now this morning I did have to stop couple times for about 45 sec. to catch my breath (hard cardio last night-gym) tired)  it had rained and little humid this morning ( central FL) which is hard I still did about 35 min on about 3 mile run . hopefully will cool off soon, I really want to pick up my speed or pace I guess I should say - is there a program to help you build that up like intervals and how do I go about it or should I get more comfortable with running at a slow pace without having to walk... little impatient but working on taking my time which hey I have come this far usually I have given up, I am determined now. oh and should I try a heart monitor?

Any suggestions are helpful

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Sep 15, 2012 11:44 AM (in response to gogolegs)
    Picking up speed?

Hi gogolegs,

There are a lot of forumals out there to assist with speed training, but it sounds like you are doing a great job with just being consistent and slowly trying to push out your miles in combination with a walk/run routine.  Remember that overall endurance naturally builds an increased pace over time.  However, 400 meter intervals might also be of assistance, so try those with about a 1.5 minute rest period in between.  You could do those instead of longer routes on certain days and try to pace yourself at a higher constant speed for 5 to 7 repetitions.  Also, hill work is of some benefit and will improve your overall fitness, even in shorter sessions or combined with other efforts. 

It is easy to become impatient with progress...but it will show up when you least expect it!

P.S.  Enter some 5k events...they are great for motivation and usually fun events to keep the focus. 

Wishing you all the best. 

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    2. Oct 22, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to gogolegs)
    Picking up speed?

It sounds like you are doing great and consistently progressing.  Everyone that I coach is above the age of 40 and I typically strongly discourage track intervals for semi-casual runners in that age group.  I put my people through hill workouts on a grassy hill that is very forgiving on the body yet still provides an excellent speed/strength workout.   As you progress through the hill phase, if you still want to run faster, you can then look at traditional speed intervals.  At that point, your body will be much better prepared for the additional stress of intervals. Best of luck and keep us all posted on your progress!

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...