Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

939 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2006 9:51 AM by jeff19 RSS
jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
May 9, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

May 24, 2006 2:59 PM

Long runs and "marathon pace"

Just for my information, does just about everyone that competes in the longer distances do one long run a week? (How long is it, how hard, how fast, etc) And what distances are run at marathon pace? (marathon pace is what Jack Daniels calls it, Lydiard calls it the steady state. It just means the fastest pace you can maintain for a long time, like an hour and a half or more.) Just trying to get a better understanding of what other kids train like. Not too many runners where I go to school.

• bruncle Legend 725 posts since
    Sep 26, 2005
    1. May 25, 2006 6:35 AM (in response to jeff19)
    Re: Long runs and "marathon pace"

Sure. I do two longish runs per week - one quite a bit shorter than the other. I don't really worry about the pace I'm going, I just try to keep my perceived effort pretty low. When I look at my log, it looks like I actually run my long runs at pretty much the same pace as I run my easy runs, even though I'm doing about 3ks more.

The exact data at the moment:
    How long: 10ksish
    How hard: Easy
    How fast: 5:00ish/km

----

My running log - http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=bruncle;s=bruncleshare0[/URL" target="_blank">

Sep 26, 2005
    3. May 30, 2006 1:31 AM (in response to jeff19)

Guess I've just been practising for a while. I started off at the start of the year only able to do about 25 at a time and just slowly worked up.

• SoFarGone Legend 551 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. May 30, 2006 9:39 AM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by jeff19:

It's kinda odd how no one replied...

I think the word "marathon" in the title scared people away. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

Dammit I gave in and made a profile.[/URL" target="_blank">

• AshXC34 Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 1, 2005
    5. May 30, 2006 5:32 PM (in response to jeff19)

Yea I don't know if I'm being helpful but I do one long run a week which is anywhere from 8-12 miles depending on the time of year, how much I'm racing, etc. I run them at what I think you're calling marathon pace, though at my fitness level I don't think I could actually hold it for a marathon. But it's definitely not a challenging pace aerobically. For me, long runs are about getting the mileage in. That's enough to deal with without trying to run fast on top of it. I'm a slow person though, maybe some of these fast kids can help you out more.

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• RunningNicho Rookie 17 posts since
    Nov 8, 2005
    6. May 30, 2006 8:31 PM (in response to jeff19)

Yeah as a long dist runner my long run will be about 25km (for half) prob up that to about 30-35 for marathon and about 5/km pace for the half and about 5:30/km for full (but haven't done a full yet).  my last half was 97:42 so that is about 4:37/km just to give you an idea.  so about 30s/km slower than race pace is about good

• RunNFun123 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 3, 2006
    7. Jun 3, 2006 4:28 PM (in response to jeff19)

yes, I do one long run a week that makes up 20-25% of my total weekly mileage (i.e. if doing a 50 mile week, probably a 10 or 11 mile run). As for the pace, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would just try to maintain a low effort level and get a good aerobic base. And unless your planning on doing a marathon sometime soon, you don't have to do any marathon pace runs.

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    8. Dec 24, 2007 10:27 PM (in response to jeff19)

quote:

Originally posted by jeff19:

One question: How do you do so many pushups?

where did anyone mention anything about pushups.
    if you do those you will start being ripped and thats not so good.

----

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

It's Easy to lie with stats, but it's easier to lie without them.

[http://This message has been edited by Crazy1 (edited Jun-03-2006).|http://This message has been edited by Crazy1 (edited Jun-03-2006).]

Sep 26, 2005
    9. Jun 3, 2006 9:38 PM (in response to jeff19)

He was looking at my running log. I do them because I also cross country ski, and you need a lot of upper body strength for that. I don't really think pushups are that detrimental to running anyway. They're more of a core workout than a workout designed purely to get big pecs and arms. You need a strong core to maintain good running form, so..

Sep 26, 2005
    11. Jun 4, 2006 6:12 PM (in response to jeff19)

Well if you're doing it for aesthetics, then it'll be detrimental to your running I think. I'm still pretty puny, but I'm more toned than I would be if I didn't do anything besides run.

Sep 26, 2005
    13. Jun 5, 2006 3:50 AM (in response to jeff19)

Well I read somewhere that the kenyans spend a little bit of time each week in the gym, and presumably some of that time would be spent training their upper body. Some people say that you shouldn't do any such training, and they've been successful. I noticed personally that before I started doing much upper body work, I got a sore back/arms after I ran.

If you're doing ultra running, I've read that it's pretty important to have a strong upper body, because form is bloody important when you're running for that long (you'd get injured otherwise). If you're just doing 1/2 miles as your preferred distance in races, you can probably run as inefficiently as you like because you're not going to be out there for long enough for it to affect you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...