Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2553 Views 56 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2006 4:07 PM by jeff19 RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
whoaitsthegenius Expert 59 posts since
May 15, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

May 30, 2006 3:01 PM

how to lose weight???

does anyone have any ideas about this?

i have a BMI of about 21.7, but i just want to lose some but it is difficult because i am not overweight and i run almost daily

does anyone know anything about drinking green tea?

i started drinking 1 cup daily yesterday...

• adrenaline07 Expert 97 posts since
    Jan 20, 2006
    1. May 30, 2006 3:31 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)
    Re: how to lose weight???

First of all...Green tea is GREAT!! I drink it like everyday! It's a really good antioxidant--helps ya fight off colds and it's just really good for you...

And sorry, but I'm in that exact same situation with the weight. I can't seem to loose anything. But if you find an answer, let me know. =)

• AFewScrewsLoose Pro 169 posts since
    May 28, 2006
    2. May 30, 2006 4:10 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

Green tea is GREAT! wooo! But then again I love any kind of tea, lol.

I think you guys are having a hard time with weight because you've hit a "plateau"...where your body pretty much is comfortable doing the workouts you do, and is comfortable with what you eat. Try to vary your workouts, pick up biking or roller blading or swimming, or even soccer or something...anything to switch up the routine(who cares if you suck at it, lol) and I believe to loose weight health-fully, try to remove 500 cals from your diet daily. But, if you can't spare 500 cals, then try to increase your metabolism...eat small meals more frequently...for ex- about 5 or 6 meals a day, but with teen scheduals its kinda hard to work that one out, lol. I've heard that green tea and salsa(or anything spicy) picks up the metabolism, too. And ice cold water because you're body has to heat it up to body temperature.

Yep thats all I've got, lol

• AshXC34 Amateur 35 posts since
    Jul 1, 2005
    3. May 30, 2006 5:54 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

Yea, plateaus suck. Might be a good idea to switch things up a little bit...run in the morning if you usually go in the afternoon, eat different kinds of food, things like that.

I have lost a good amount of weight but had the advantage of being overweight (BMI of 28.3 which is nearly obese...ouch). Now I'm at 23.2 which is pretty normal and my goal is 21 which is where you are. haha

Honestly I find that pilates works really well. Whenever I really do it consistently I lose more weight. I like to do it 4 days a week, it really doesn't interfere with running because there's no impact, it's just stretches and things like that.

I wouldn't make a point of cutting calories unless you're eating a lot more than you should which I'm guessing you're not. I don't know about you but I think most runners, including myself, eat too many carbs. I try to eat a little less pasta and a little more protein.

I also love green tea but I just drink it because I like the taste, I'm not convinced that it helps people lose weight. It's definitely good for you though, so either way it's worth drinking.

Good luck!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• Crazy1004 Legend 1,032 posts since
    Jan 29, 2006
    4. May 30, 2006 7:31 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

don't eat

----

They didn’t know my shoulder was broken so I just kept riding

People don't Understand how hard it is to win a bike race...That my problem...I make it look easy

It's Easy to lie with stats, but it's easier to lie without them.

• AFewScrewsLoose Pro 169 posts since
    May 28, 2006
    5. May 30, 2006 9:44 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

Yeah the whole 'not eating' thing...it sucks ***. I've tried it, it landed me in the hospital for a while. I suggest not doing it.

• jeff19 Pro 210 posts since
    May 9, 2006
    6. May 31, 2006 12:09 AM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

Well... How bad do you wanna lose weight? I'm down to 159/160 from 170-172 (I weigh myself 1st thing in the morning, but it still varies. Less now, as you can see.) I really thought it'd be tough, as I'm pretty thin, (little bodyfat, anyway) but it turned out OK. I run twice a day, one real easy and about 20 min, and then a regular training run which varies a lot. I've found little connection between training intensity and weight loss. I just get hungrier. BUT if I stay active all day (happens all the time in summer) or am away from food most of the day (during school) I eat less. Activity keeps the appetite low, and being away from food gets rid of temptation. I've had lots of trials cutting weight for wrestling, so I can say a lot from personal experience. The key is dedication (not crazy go nuts, just staying focused. Do I really want this soda? Well, no... BANANA! HA!) and a healthy dose of common sense. (which I lack) I recommend the two-a-day runs, usually w/ the easy one in the morning, just because it gets me and keeps me going. But keep it easy. Walking is ok. (cept I think about food when I walk) So, seriously, if you wanna lose weight, I know how. Just post again.

Jan 20, 2006
    8. May 31, 2006 3:11 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

me 2!!

May 9, 2006
    9. Jun 1, 2006 2:13 AM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

The "diet" looks a bit like this: Large breakfast, mainly a whole grain, medium lunch, meat and fruit, and a small dinner, mainly vegetables. I eat oatmeal for breakfast, because it keeps me full, with a banana or something. I try to eat until I'm pretty full, because it keeps the hunger off the rest of the day. Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich or two with an apple and/or orange, and for dinner I start with a big salad, and add some lean meat if I'm really hungry. It's the only meal that really requires any discipline. The others you just have to remember. It all adds up to about 1200-1800 calories. I do my easy jog in the morning before breakfast, and the afternoon run about 3 hrs after lunch. Feel free to drink tons of water-if you have a scale, weigh yourself many times a day (whenever convenient) so you get to know how your weight fluctuates. You'll probably vary at least 3-5 lbs. You should lose about 1/2 to 2 pounds a week for some time like this, depending on how much of a calorie drop you can make, and your body's metabolism. When you hit a plateau, you have to make bigger changes if you really want to lose weight. Take one multi-vitamin and one mineral pill a day as well. Aside from simply being a good idea, you may need it if you cut more than 1,000 calories a day. You may also want to try 16 hour fasts. Sometimes after I do one my appetite seems more curbed. It's pretty much common sense, but most people go wrong by giving up too soon, and others keep chasing gimmicks, like weird diets or superfoods or...spicy foods. Never heard of that before.  Anyway, try that, and if you stick to it for at least three weeks and you don't lose weight, I'm Santa Claus. By the way, don't worry about BMI. I have roughly 5% bodyfat an have a BMI of 21. (6'1, 160 lbs)
    If you pack a lot of muscle (Let's say a bodybuilder of my height weighs 210, not at all uncommon, he'd have a BMI of 27.7, although he might have almost no fat!) it'll throw the BMI way off. Go by bodyfat if you can. Of course, if you use up all your fat and still want to lose some weight, you'll have to atrophy some muscle (ever seen a buff Kenyan win a marathon? they got stick arms) but that may counteract other sports. So, you think ya got it?

May 9, 2006
    10. Jun 1, 2006 2:30 AM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

Also, if you're a girl, you will likely have more trouble losing weight. Having less than 13% bodyfat may be unhealthy, maybe not, but if you start having problems, (the most common is irregular menstration) see a doctor. There are female runners with very little fat, so it's certainly not impossible, just be cautious. And if ur a guy, then I just told you something you don't need to know. Go celebrate. We have it easier.

Jan 20, 2006
    11. Jun 1, 2006 5:42 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

yup..I'm a girl..that sucks, u guys are so lucky! That sounds cool..and my family is known for eatting tiny or no breakfast..and ok lunch and a HUGE dinner...I have been tring to break away from that and I've been eatting a bigger breakfast..

and..so you actually run for 3 hours?? oh my gosh, i wish i could do that! the most I can run is an hour..and it's really slow..mabye I can incorporate some biking and running.

Is it better to run for a longer distance going slower...or a shorter distance going faster? (short distance as in 1or 2 miles) or to do both?

And I tried fasting before...but I end up eatting a cow when I could finally eat and I go for all the wrong things...like when I went for a day or two fast...then I finally let myself eat..i basically reuined all the fasting by eatting a ton...and not healthy foods

right now I eat about 1500-2000 cals..so cutting to 1200-1800 should not be too hard.

THX for the advice!!

Jan 20, 2006
    12. Jun 1, 2006 5:48 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

wait..nva mind about the 3 hour run..I read your post again and realized that I read it wrong..lol

But by the way..what are your afternoon runs like? I know they vary...but just in general..30min-1hour..intervals...etc.

May 9, 2006
    13. Jun 1, 2006 9:35 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

Right now I'm doing the aerobic base phase. The idea is to have three long(er) runs a week, one being about 25% of the weekly mileage. The inbetween days are shorter, but the same pace (which is as fast as I can go comfortably. It took a while to figure out, but I'm a lot better at it now. If you try this, start a little, say 45 seconds a mile, slower than you think you can go. Too slow won't hurt you, not that you'll develop as fast, but too fast can certainly kill you, depending on how hard you run) I do 8 mi Monday, 4 on Tues, 8 Wed, 4 Thurs, 12 Fri, and 4 Sat and Sunday. (in addition to other easy runs at lower intensity) I started by doing 20 min easy days, 50 "medium" days, and 90 on the hard ones, and worked up to 40, 80, and 130. Then I set the mileage, and have gotten quite a bit faster. I'm basically following Lydiard principles and trying to peak for XC this fall, about the first week of October. Starting June 18th I'll do the Hills phase, then Anaerobic, and the Coordination. If you're looking to lose weight, you have to burn calories, and the best way to do that is with lots of miles. Like I said, don't try to lose weight just by running-you have to be very fit to eat what you like and still lose weight. It is pretty easy to maintain though. Anyway, I'm about to go on a tangent about my training, but if you're interested, go to

http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/lydpg2.html[/URL" target="_blank">

(there's a lot of typos, but it's free, so what can you expect?)
    I essentially based my training on those concepts. I love to rant, so post again if you'd like an earful on the Lydiard method.

Jan 20, 2006
    14. Jun 1, 2006 9:43 PM (in response to whoaitsthegenius)

I WOULD LOVE AN EARFUL!! When it comes to running and loosing weight..i feel like I can never know enough and am always yearning for more!

so this is a post...lol

and thanks, i printed the info..and am gonna try it out.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...